• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set a custom swatch library to automatically load in new documents?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for a company with brand guidelines, and we have a custom swatch library file with our brand colors in it. In previous versions of Illustrator, I was able to set up the defualt new-document settings so that only that swatch library showed/loaded. Not the default multi-color library. I recently updated Illustrator the latest version and it reverted back to loading in all the default swatches, and I can't figure out how to change it back to just my branded swatches. How do you do this in the latest version? TIA!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your library was saved in a New Dociment Preset.

When you use that as preset to create new documents you will alwys have that library.

You probably lost that preset when updating Illustrator without the previous settings.

See if you can find that preset document or else you need to create a new one with your color swatches.

One way to save it as a preset is to save it in the Illustrator application folder > Support Files > New Document Profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I updated I did select the option to keep previous settings. 😞 I have the .ase files. I tried putting them in the New Document Profiles folder, and that didn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the swatches need to be part of the new document profile. Putting them in the New Document Profiles folder does not help, only New Document Profiles are recognized there.

Maybe this helps:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/create-custom-new-document-profile.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that and it said the files were read-only. For example, I want to change the "Print.ai" preset. I went to my Applications folder --> Adobe Illustrator 2022 --> Support Files --> New Document Profiles --> en_US and I opened that Print.ai file, deleted the swatches, loaded mine, and hit save. Was told it was read only. I tried saving it with a new file name like "Print1.ai" and it said "Can't save the illustration. You do not have enough access Privileges. ID -5000" I thought maybe that's because anytime I make changes in these folder, it has me put in my user password to confirm... so I then tried saving the new file to my desktop, deleted the origianl Print.ai and then moved my custom "Print.ai" over to the folder to replace it. Restarted Illustrator and it is still loading the default swatches and not my custom one. I also did this workflow in the "Presets" folder instead of the Support Files. Went to:  en_US --> Swatches --> Default Swatches. 

When I click the link you provided and follow their insturctions to go to User --> Library --> Application Support --> Adobe --> Adobe Illustrator CS3, there is no option for Illustrator. And I'm not using CS3. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You cannot save directly into the system. Save elsewhere and then move the file.

It depends on the system, moon and whatever which new document profile is used. So put the file in the applications folder as well as into the User folder. Use the version number you have (2022 or whatever instead of CS3, the logic should be clear)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines