• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to UNDO a revert in Illustrator CC????

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2015 Jan 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously Adobe!!!! Adding a shortcut that's close to cmd-Z that REVERTS your entire project!!! Just lost 2 hours of work!! How do I undo this revert????????????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2015 Jan 26, 2015

Many people delete the shortcut because of this.

Other than using your own backup you can't undo it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2019 and I just accidentally reverted to my last saved... I don't even know what shortcut I pressed. The moral of the story. Don't forget to save often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just lost a days work to a very expensive client on project due in 1 hour. Teeth clenched. [CAPS LOCK ON].

Firstly FIRE the bright spark who thought this short cut was a 'good idea'. How did this make past the drawing board and past a focus group? This is the most obvious blind spot to correct. 

4 YEARS AND NOBODY HAS BOTHERED TO FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm paying a monthly subsciption for this?? You must be kidding. Rage does not even begin to describe my emotion level. 

Customer servicestop making excuses & solve this problem ASAP. 

I am out of pocket a full days freelance salary. Figure out a solution, how are you going to fix this situation? This is what I am paying for. 

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely true. F12 is the new revert macro and it's right [cursing removed by moderator] next to both the delete key and the backspace key on my keyboard. If I accidentally bump one of those, I lose hours worth of work. This is such a ridiculous feature that needs to be made A LOT harder to do by accident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit your keyboard shorcuts...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit your keyboard shorcuts...

By @Met1

Or read the dialog boxes before you click...

image.png

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Es imbecil y se ayuda, no todo el mundo en habla castellana sabe que traduce revert!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does the Spanish version phrase it? Please test it on a sample document and post the dialog here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captura de pantalla 2022-09-20 a las 20.56.36.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on David, no one reads user manuals purely for entertainment anymore, so expecting them to be paying attention to a dialog that tells you exactly what is about to happen is a stretch...  ;-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woww that was annoying.. thankfully I didn't lose two hours worth of work but I was just about done with a revision for a project with multiple logo options. that was not fun and makes NO sense at all. I back things up through google drive, not dropbox... so I have to see if I can retrieve it that way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

REALLY HATE IT. I'VE JUST LOST MY ENTIRE WORK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT IS THE SAME KEY FOR SCREENSHOT!! WHAT THE [cursing removed by moderator] !
THE MOST TOXIC FROM AI!WHOEVER CREATE THIS SHORT KEY MUST BE A EVIL!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absolutely absurd, i just reverted my work and lost so much.

Adobe come on, this is very disappointing!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The shortcut is no longer assigned to "Revert" in the current version (25.3.1). There is a clear warning when you start a Revert.

I'm not quite sure what else you would want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that the shortcut is no longer the default.

But for those who did no read the what's new (that is a joke) and have customized shortcuts nothing changed.

But skipping the warning has aways amazed me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the file an aic (Cloud file) it is possible to see the log of versions incrimentally saved. The OP is from 2015 when there were no .aic files so I know it will not help the OP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Window > Version History

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that is only for cloud-saved documents. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go into your filed into adobe premiere it will have auto saves so you can go back. Just happened to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What [abuse removed by moderator] product manager at adobe decided this was a good idea. I wish adobe didn't buy Figma so it can bury this dinosaur [removed by moderator] company to the ground.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently my short key for revert was set to F12, which on my laptop I hit all the time because it is right next to my very small delete button.  This is the first time I had ever hit it in Illustrator, and while I SWEAR, I hit cancel (without reading the popup, of course, because I was in the zone just cleaning up some extra stuff before I saved the final version!!)  I am so bad at remembering to save.  Short key disabled and starting over.  Thank you all for sharing your experience, I don't feel so much like a dunce now. Sure wish there was a way to undo this though. . . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've all been there. I can't tell you how many times I've said to myself "Well, I won't do _that_ again!". after goofing up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a question so I know what not to enter. What is the shortcut that caused it to Revert?  The menu says F12, but I don't see one that's similar to cmd-z, even when I search in the Keyboard Shortcuts window.  I just want to know so I don't do it. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Never mind, I didn't realize there were three pages to this topic. I found my answer on page 2.  Apparently Adobe got the message and removed the old shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines