• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to UNDO a revert in Illustrator CC????

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2015 Jan 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously Adobe!!!! Adding a shortcut that's close to cmd-Z that REVERTS your entire project!!! Just lost 2 hours of work!! How do I undo this revert????????????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2015 Jan 26, 2015

Many people delete the shortcut because of this.

Other than using your own backup you can't undo it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bruh noooooooooooo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Literally just lost all my work too 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While having sympathy. having lost unsaved work in various ways myself ...

Come on .....you want the yellow triangle to flash and play a fire siren sound?

As the saying goes-

Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot

or in this case:

Make something Mactard proof and ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unacceptable commentary and unacceptable adobe response to a clearly absurd UX issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2016 Sep 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just lost a bit of work due to this. It's a pretty clear error message so I'll accept that it's my fault but the fact that the same keyboard shortcut in Photoshop is Undo means it's easy to get them mixed up! I'm pretty sure nobody wants this command easily accessible in a shortcut - you should have to dive in a menu to trigger this. And if they did, they can add their own shortcut. For the rest of us it's just the Accidentally-delete-all-your-work-for-the-past-hour-and-feel-stupid command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to get back my work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

creative4l1187302 schrieb:

Is there any way to get back my work?

As long as you don't use Time Machine, a backup, Autosaviour, or the like: no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just happened to me. I’m in shock... Who ever thought having a shortcut for revert was a good idea.

Goodness I stunned. Clearly others haven fallen foul of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i seriously didn't need this to happen now. I am so upset. How do I remove the key command that did this I don't even kno wwhat I pressed to make it occur! AHHHHH! SO FREAKING MAD!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To remove the shortcut, whatintarnation, choose Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts, then:

Screenshot 2017-11-26 18.11.15.png

You can't modify the original shortcuts, so you will be prompted to save the updated shortcut(s) under a new name when you click on OK.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This function has set me back hours several times now. I can't believe you can undo it. Wickety wack! C'mon 2 years of people complaining about this and its still a good idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When working till 3AM the work almost done, accident to hit REVERT shortcut and cant UNDO!!!!! Alright, you win~ all gone... thanks and Seriously, WHO need this function?! Speechless!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What an idiocy! I mean, how many more users should Adobe lose to Sketch before they wake the f*** up on software design and usability. No words..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still salty about this and I'm sad to see it hasn't been fixed. Nothing like having to shift to a monthly/yearly payment model under the promise of fast and constant updates and then have dumb features like this never updated.

Could at least someone change the alert message to add "THIS ACTION CAN'T BE UNDONE!"? It'd be a one minute fix, hell I'd make that pull request if I could.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely a pain point for a lot of folks.

A quick reminder for everyone: this is a user-to-user forum. There are four volunteer ACPs on this thread (users like you who volunteer time answering questions) and no Adobe employees—which means no one getting notifications of updates on this thread can remove or change the shortcut in future releases of Illustrator.

To get Adobe's attention, post your feedback here: Adobe Illustrator Feedback​. Then come back to this thread and post a link so that everyone else can vote it up. That's how you get Adobe to make changes.

In the meantime, you can change the shortcut on your own system (see above). And, all of us need a reminder (myself included) to stop and read alerts when they appear onscreen, whether we are under deadline and exhausted, or not. It's a habit for many of us to blow by warnings without reading them. I do it. I watch my students do it. It's something about human nature that someone smarter than me can explain.

~Barb

Screenshot 2018-01-29 13.47.23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very confused. As long as I can remember the shortcut (in Standard Shortcut set) for revert in Illustrator under Windows is always [F12]

regardless of whether CS2

RevertCS2.png

or now CC

RevertCC.png

I wondering - is this only a "MacOS" - thing?

And one note: I think the german translation is much more better:

"Zurück zur letzten Version" means "Back to the last version" instead of simple "Revert"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pixxxel schubser:

You are right. I work primarily on Macs but have a Win10 Surface. I booted it up and it is still F12.

Macs are notorious for remapping function keys and many newbie Mac users don't know how to control them. That's a guess as to why they are different across the two platforms—but I really don't know.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this for real, people have been complaining about this since 2015 and even in 2018 is still there? This is the most stupid shortcut ever! how in the world you have not removed this, and there is no way to undo the revert?! no wonder why so much people is cancelling their subscriptions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reminder.

Go to "Edit>Keyboard Shortcuts" and delete the shortcut.

You might want to check in your "Recovery Data" folder, in case there is a file containing some of your lost info.

Edit: Well, I tried, and the file is an ".aid" format and does not open automatically in Illustrator. Maybe someone can shed more light on this.

Here are two links on the subject.

How to recover file data after a crash in Illustrator

How can I recover unsaved files from illustrator cc(2015)?

Neither are good news.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Just venting. Adobe [profanity removed by moderato] WHY. Your team is suppose to be on top of these things.

Infuriated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm def pissed, but reading this wall of pain did make me feel a little better... temporarily. #notalone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn! This just happened to me too.

Adobe, you have to move this. It's totally crazy. Who even reverts with such frequency that a shortcut is required!?

Additionally, I'd like to congratulate @Ray Yorkshire fo being such a superior human. That must feel great. Writing a post like that to people who have just lost a bunch of work does nothing but improve their mood, so well done.

In my case incidentally, there was either no dialogue box at all or i pressed something before i saw it. (I'm on mac, don't know if that makes a difference)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow! its 2018 and this problem hasn't been fixed yet! just happened to me and Ray you're a ****

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suggest you add votes and/or comments here. GET RID OF THE REVERT HOTKEY! – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Discussions in this forum don't influence Adobe's decision making... Votes count, if it's important to you, say so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines