• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't pull layers out of the folder without putting them into a different folder

Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to move the layers out of a folder and just have them separate. I want this so that when I bring them into after effects they're all separate layers.

However, it won't seem to let me do that. Any ideas on what I can do?

Here's a video showing the issue I'm having: https://youtube.com/shorts/tyWTqfD0GfM?feature=share

Thanks!

I'm using a MacBook Pro 2019 (Ventura 13.0.1)
Illustrator 27.2 
TOPICS
Bug , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Ok, I thought I had done this already, but I needed to highlight the layer that all the other layers were stuck within and release them to layers (sequence). Then I was able to separate them and pull them out of that overarching layer. Now I just have to rename everything again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least a couple of them are not Layers, but objects.

Some might be groups.

You first need to create layer. for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply @Monika Gause. I tried the "release to layers (sequence)" and "release to layers (build)" options for one of the layers but both times I still couldn't pull it out of the folder. I also tried to group and ungroup it, but it still didn't work. Sorry if I'm not understanding. 

@Met1 Thanks for sharing the code. Do I need to import this into illustrator? Sorry, I'm a novice with this program so not sure how to handle code, etc for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The script will export layers into separate files, which is not what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I thought I had done this already, but I needed to highlight the layer that all the other layers were stuck within and release them to layers (sequence). Then I was able to separate them and pull them out of that overarching layer. Now I just have to rename everything again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines