• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2020 not saving PDF compatible files even with "Create PDF compatible file" box checked!

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very frustrated with the new Illustrator. Not only is it having problems saving (unless I do a "Save As"), but I cannot create a PDF file from Illustrator, even with the "Create PDF compatible file" box checked before I save the AI document. What the heck is going on? A lot of lost time trying to figure this out and I'm getting very frustrated!

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. We have tried to address this issue in our latest build of 24.1.2. If you are not already on v 24.1.2, then we recommend you to update to latest version and let us know how it goes. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to have worked. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it has been resolved! Feel free to reach out if you run into any other questions or issues in the future. Thanks!   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that this solution worked for me (with Illustrator 2020 - version 24.0.3).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,

I am having the same problem, and followed your solution until:

• Go back to library->open caches->rename  com.adobe.illustrator to com.adobe.illustrator.old

** there is no com.adobe.illustrator file in there

• Go back to library->open application support-> open adobe->rename the Illustrator  24 folder to Illustrator  24 folder.old  ** there is no Illustrator 24 folder in there

Could you please help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashley,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please confirm the exact version of OS and Illustrator you have?

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac High Sierra 10.13.6

Illustrator 24.0.1 (Nov 2019)

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ashley for sharing the information. For macOS those folders should be at that location. Could you please refer to this help article here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html#setting_illustrator_preferences 

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh, 
I tried this but I still cannot export as a pdf file. Can you please assist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue and saw on another thread that if you paste the artwork into a brand new document it seems to fix the problem. It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I followed these steps and it fixed the problem for a week and suddenly now its doing the same thing? Trying to follow the steps again but it wont let me because files are already saved as 'old'. 

Can someone help? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then trash the old "old" files and save new "old" files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isnt a sustainable way to continue converting illustrator files to pdfs - there must be a new issue or reason as to why this is happening because its never happened in years of using both programmes. 

Can anyone from Adobe advise on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found your solution back in November and it worked fine. Then about 2 weeks ago the issue with creating pdfs started again. I repeated these steps and found the .old files were still there with a new folder with the names in your instructions there. Then the issue happened again today. 

Is there a way to fix this problem so I don't have to repeat these steps all the time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% agree. I'm not willing to go through the hassle of resetting my preferences everytime this issue arises.

I just tried restarting AI, opened the same file and resaved it with the same settings, and it worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

An error exists on new update 24.0 Illustrator 2020 saving as PDF.

When I save as PDF and I open it with Adobe Acrobat, it has no content, only paragraphs telling it's empty. I've tried to save it with default print presets, but it doesn't work. The file is not the problem, an older Illustrator version save it as PDF correctly. 

Am I doing something wrong??

Thanks!

{Renmaed By MOD}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Esther,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with Illustrator. Would you mind sharing some more information like:

1. The version of the Operating System.
  2. Would you mind sharing the screenshot of the workflow that you are following?

All this information will help us understand the issue better and assist accordingly.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,

I'm working with macOS Catalina version 10.15. I can see there is an update available.

I'm asking my support team to update it as soon as possible and I'll check if the problem keep going.

I'll keep you posted!

Thanks for your speed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again!

It works fine now. I've only updated my macOS version.

I'm using the same file and configuration to export. 

Sorry I can't provide any further help.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it has been resolved! Feel free to reach out if you run into any other questions or issues in the future. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing with some of my clients. Mine works fine but this seems to be a common issue fyi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share a screen shot. “paragraphs telling it's empty” isn’t familiar at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

I am receiving the following error message when attempting to save a Press Quality PDF: 

"This is an Adobe® Illustrator® File that was

saved without PDF Content.

To Place or open this file in other

applications, it should be re-saved from

Adobe Illustrator with the "Create PDF

Compatible File" option turned on. This

option is in the Illustrator Native Format

Options dialog box, which appears when

saving an Adobe Illustrator le using the

Save As command."

I have tried the following troubleshooting without any success: 

• Resetting the preferences 
  • Copying and saving the content to a new file 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do a File > Save As and choose Illustrator as the format. In the second screen, select PDF Compatible File. (I may have the exact words wrong.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jane-e,

Thank you for responding! Unfortunately that did not work either. It was already a selected option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the first couple of submissions in the related box below your message. There are a couple of problems with old preference files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines