• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2020 - Overprint on image

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not check the overprint option on an image (the option is present but inactive). On the vector elements it works. Is there a new way of doing things?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Explorer , Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

I'm just wondering why you're not just putting your image below in the stack and put your spot color on top with overprint ON, you would get the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

I open file in CS5 and that's right, i can't put overprint on cmyk linked image, but i can on linked grayscale.

The fact the potato is in multiply blending mode but don't see it in the panel because it's a part of a group elements. And the group is not multiply, only the .psd linked image inside the group.

I will go with the Multiply blending mode to keep my images linked. I need to send my files today. 

Thank you so much for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Multiply explains it. Multiply should work similar to Overprint and give no problems with modern rips.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try Multiply Blending Mode

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. I know but i prefer to use the overprint option. Multiplys blending mode is not the same. I download the old version 2019 and the option dissapear too... ( Maybe because the last update ). My 2019 file keep the overprint on image that already was ( Blending option set as normal ). But i see the overprint whent i'm on overprint preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture d’écran 2019-11-07 à 12.51.22.pngCapture d’écran 2019-11-07 à 12.52.30.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to check the overprint option on an image is to embed it in Illustrator first, although I'm not sure why you would. What result are you trying to accomplish?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to put the image overprint (I do not want to check) to go on the presses in large quantities. The option is simply not clickable on the images now. As my screenshot shows. I'm doing color overlap (CMYK) of the image on a pms background. Why the option is no longer available I have been using it for 15 years.Capture d’écran 2019-11-07 à 14.30.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that if the image is in grayscale, the option is available. Why is it not available for CMYK images?Capture d’écran 2019-11-07 à 14.53.36.pngCapture d’écran 2019-11-07 à 14.53.43.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's from the .psd format of the process image. Before it was possible. I tried with the same image in .jpg and it works only when the image is embeed but created another bug. The overprint overwrites the process colors.

Then if I put the same image .jpg but bound (not embeed). The overprint option becomes inactive but remains checked ???? and the display does not seem to apply the overprint.

Capture d’écran 2019-11-07 à 15.04.18.pngCapture d’écran 2019-11-07 à 15.04.29.pngCapture d’écran 2019-11-07 à 15.04.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would overprint even mean for a CMYK image? Are you printing over spot colour? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes !! On PMS color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just wondering why you're not just putting your image below in the stack and put your spot color on top with overprint ON, you would get the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My file is complex because the CMYK image must overlap two PMS. The lighter PMS overprint on the first one (darker). I have been working this way forever. It is true that the Multiply blending mode does the same job, but it only bypasses the problem that appeared in the latest version of Illustrator. In addition the images that were placed overprint in the 2019 version before the update are in normal mode but keep the overprint option. I could not remove the overprint on these elements .... there is really a problem ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is the option is inactive for:

- PSD cmyk file

- JPG cmyk file link

- JPG cmyk file embeed ( the overprint bug on other process colors...)

- JPG grayscale seems to be working

Before the option was disponible for all this type of file and work really well ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to save in Tiff CMYK? I just did and it works if you embed the file. I've used LZW compression and Mac preview but I don't think it matters. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but the option is still not active ...Capture d’écran 2019-11-07 à 16.19.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you embed the file? if you don't it won't work, it needs to be embedded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I'm sure you know this but to "see" the overprint you have to activate Overprint preview in the Separations Preview Panel or Menu, View, Overprint Preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What System are you using? I am using Mojave. For me it seems to work with embedded CMYK jpeg and .psd files on spot color backgrounds. But I get the same result with Multiply (and that works also on CMYK backgrounds).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use High Sierra

Capture d’écran 2019-11-07 à 16.21.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to open the enclosed PDF in Illustrator, and see if that works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That work when the jpg is embeed, but not when it's linkCapture d’écran 2019-11-07 à 16.44.12.pngCapture d’écran 2019-11-07 à 16.44.22.pngk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So just embed the file, and I see that it's working for a CMYK and not just a grayscale. What is still the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never send with a embed file. The good way to do is with linked file that's keep all the resolution. And when i modify the image, thats update in illustrator. That the way we need to work ( embed file is not an option ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I see, it has only worked with embedded files, also in older AI versions.

I just tried it in CC 2017 and also there, it needs to be embedded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not right, i use this way from 15 years!!!

I do a lot of file for packaging and that the way we always do and the printer ask. I do it last week before the update...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines