• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Action "save as .PDF" results in .AI file with error message

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an Action to save multiple files in a batch as PDFs. This worked fine for me before installing Illustrator 2020. Now, when I run the Action I receive the following error message inside a copy of the .AI file, in .AI (not .PDF) format:

This is an Adobe Illustrator File that was saved without PDF content. To place or open this file in other applications, it should be re-saved from Adobe Illustrator with the “Create PDF Compatible File” option turned on. This option is in the Illustrator Native Format Options dialog box, which appears when saving an Adobe Illustrator file using the Save As Command.

I am struggling to find the "Create PDF Compatible file" option anywhere in the Save As command. I can't find the "Illustrator Native Format Option"s dialogue box, either.

Here's what I've tried but to no avail:

• Deleting then re-recording the action, then re-running the action
  • Creating a new file, copying my previous file's content into it, then re-running the action
  • Disabling the GPU under Preferences > Performance > GPU performance, then creating a new file and re-running the action
  • And yes of course, my software is up to date (version 24.0.1) and I've tried restarting my computer / doing all of the above again.

Adobe support chat suggested this error was related to leaving Illustrator open and idle for multiple days, and the .tmp file was getting deleted or not deleted / which is also not the case. This error message happens when I open Illustrator and save something as a PDF right away (no idle time).

I read a similar help topic that said this relates to some previous preferences that were installed in prior versions of the software, somewhere in my Library. I'm not sure how to do this, or if it would work - and would prefer to not delete my preferences if I can help it / if it won't fix the issue. Thank you in advance for any help!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

I figured this out!

"Create PDF Compatible File" was checked. My problem was with the action itself. I used this article: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/automation-actions.html with the key point being:

To create a batch process that saves files in a new format, record the Save As or Save A Copy command, followed by the Close command, as part of your original action. Then choose None for the Destination when setting up the batch process.

Saving the PDFs in the same destination folder

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you Save or Save As from AI, you get two dialogs. The first one is the location and name of the file. The second has specific options for each file type you have chosen. The Create PDF Compatible File is one of the options in the second dialog if you have chosen.ai as the file type. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured this out!

"Create PDF Compatible File" was checked. My problem was with the action itself. I used this article: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/automation-actions.html with the key point being:

To create a batch process that saves files in a new format, record the Save As or Save A Copy command, followed by the Close command, as part of your original action. Then choose None for the Destination when setting up the batch process.

Saving the PDFs in the same destination folder as my .AIs was creating these files with the error. This was not a problem before Illustrator 2020 so I just had to re-create my actions and send the PDFs to a different destination (in this case, my desktop). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for this tip! Using CC2018 and was having the same issue. I dont really understand why it works, but very glad it does. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated Illustrator to 24.0.2 

Now, whenever I save a PDF out of Illustrator (even when I tell it to save a high-quality print) it saves a document with this message repeated over and over:

"This is an Adobe® Illustrator® File that was saved without PDF Content. To Place or open this in other

applications, it should be re-saved from Adobe Illustrator with the "Create PDF Compatible File" option turned on. This

option is in the Illustrator Native Format Options dialog box, which appears when saving an Adobe Illustrator using the Save As command."

What can I do to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to the Illustrator forum from Get Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be an issue with saving PDFs out of version 24.0.2

You could try if resetting all the preferences can solve it. Just renaming the Illustrator preferences folder doesn't help.

This could happen because of corrupt Preferences so would you mind trying the steps here to manually reset the Preferences and let us know it it works out.

Close all Adobe applications.
Go to locations
~/Library/Caches
~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
~/Library/Preferences
Rename Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old
Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I edited and saved a .pdf document on Illustrator but when I tried to reopen the document, it was just a blank white page with "This is an Adobe Illustrator File that was saved without PDF Content. To place or open this file in another application, it should be re-saved from Adobe Illustrator with the 'Create PDF Compatible' option turned on. This option is in the Illustrator Native Format Options dialog box, which appears when saving an Adobe Illustrator file using Save As command." However, this .pdf document is the only copy that I have. Is there any way to recover this specific .pdf without having to re-create it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may have been a PDF file when you opened it, but when you saved it you saved as an AI file without PDF content, as the quoted statement indicates. Reopen the file in Illustrator, go to Save As, be sure to set Format to Adobe PDF, and click Save. The next dialog box will have other options to consider, then a button to Save PDF. When you try to open the newly-saved file in Acrobat or another PDF reader, it should be fine.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i export from AI to PDF, it appears to me on PDF this messagge:

This was Adobe® Illustrator® was

saved without PDF content.

To work or open it in others

applications, requires saving it again

from Adobe Illustrator with created Create

compatible with verified PDF format.

This option is found in the dialog box

for the native Illustrator format,

when saving an Adobe Illustrator

with the Save As command.

What should i do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. We have tried to address this issue in our latest build of 24.1.2. If you are not already on v 24.1.2, then we recommend you to update to latest version and let us know how it goes. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines