• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator constantly crashing (last 3 updates)

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Illustrator on Windows 10 with an Nvidia RTX4070ti (latest studio driver). The last 3 or 4 updates have been completely unstable and crashes every few minutes while trying to work. It seems to be completely random - opening files, saving files, deleting layers, making changes to a shape ... pretty much anything.

It was fine up to maybe version 26, then from 27 onwards it has become unusable. It gives no warning, I get the spinning cursor like it's trying to do something, then disappears.

Wondering if it is the gfx card as I switched from a 3070ti to the 4070ti.

Will try going back to early v26, but that's not useful if clients are supplying artwork from latest version.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

You're probably running the current Wacom driver (version 6.4.1-3) released in January. If that's the case then that is very likely why Illustrator is crashing. It's a problem that has affected a lot of Illustrator users (myself included).

You'll need to uninstall that driver and download the version from November 2022 (version 6.4.0-11).
https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/product-support/drivers

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SO the app itself is launching, but then when working with files Illustrator is crashing?

Where do you save files?

How large are they?

Are you using a Wacom?

Do you have any third party plugins installed?

Do you have a printer installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you already tried?

Prefs reset?

Cleaner tool instal?

Instal into new user?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Rocketscience1966,

I apologize for the delayed response and the inconvenience caused due to the crashing issue in Illustrator.

We have released a new version, v27.5, which includes several bug fixes and improvements. I would suggest updating to this latest version and checking if the crashing issue persists.

Also, please confirm if you are using a Wacom tablet.

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

I am using v27.5. I also re-installed v26.1 to test it and that version also crashed just as much. I am using a Wacom tablet (Intuos Pro).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're probably running the current Wacom driver (version 6.4.1-3) released in January. If that's the case then that is very likely why Illustrator is crashing. It's a problem that has affected a lot of Illustrator users (myself included).

You'll need to uninstall that driver and download the version from November 2022 (version 6.4.0-11).
https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/product-support/drivers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice. Have gone back to the older Wacom driver and Illustrator now seems to be stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing issues with Adobe Illustrator on your Windows 10 system. It sounds like you've already taken some steps to troubleshoot the problem by updating your graphics card drivers and trying different versions of Illustrator.

Here are a few additional steps that you can take to try and resolve the issue:

1. Reset Illustrator Preferences: Try resetting your Illustrator preferences to see if it helps resolve the issue. To do this, hold down the Ctrl + Alt + Shift keys while launching Illustrator. You should see a dialog box asking if you want to reset the preferences. Click "Yes" to confirm.

2. Disable GPU Performance: Try disabling the GPU Performance option in Illustrator to see if it helps improve stability. To do this, go to Preferences > Performance and uncheck the "Use Graphics Processor" option.

3. Update Windows and Adobe Illustrator: Make sure that your Windows 10 operating system and Adobe Illustrator are fully up-to-date with the latest updates and patches. This can often fix stability issues.

4. Check for conflicting software: Sometimes, other software running on your system can conflict with Adobe Illustrator and cause stability issues , Try temporarily disabling any antivirus, firewall, or other security software to see if it helps improve stability.

5. Contact Adobe Support: If none of the above steps help to resolve the issue, it may be worth contacting Adobe Support for further assistance. They may be able to provide additional troubleshooting steps or identify any known issues with your particular system configuration.

I hope these suggestions help you to resolve the stability issues you're experiencing with Illustrator. Good luck!

Best Regards

Olivia Devid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never had so many crashed with Illustrator... in the past month... every other day it crashes... I don't care what the reason is... it should not be doing this. Fix it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Roger38408891cmsj,

Hey there, we understand how frustrating it can be to encounter crashes in the middle of work. Would you mind trying the suggestions shared in this help article (https://adobe.ly/4bxgCqF) and checking if they help? Also, kindly submit the crash report using your Adobe email address and share it here for quick tracking. Steps are shared here: (https://adobe.ly/3VP5aRp). We appreciate your time and patience in helping us resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2024 Jul 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I am having the same issue with AI Crashing, plus there are some moments where I can't grab my guide or move certain shapes. 🙃!! I've been researching, and many other users are having issues with the newest updates! And some are going back to older version of AI! Which I'm tempted to do! Because I have to draft up four  variety logos for three different logos projects (12 logos in total 🫠), my project is getting pushed back... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2024 Jul 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you cannot move shapes? Did you read the comment about Wacom tablets? 

What also interferes with selecting and moving things around is a Window manager (on Mac OS), such as Magnet or Rectangle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines