• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator: PNGs turn negative after saving then reopening

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running version 26.3.1, my operating system is Windows 10 Pro version 21H1.

Every time I place a PNG into an illustrator doc, either CMYK or RGB color space, it turns negative when I reopen the document to work on it. I've made sure it's an 8 bit PNG, doesn't happen to any other image format, and it doesn't matter if the PNG is transparent or not. It happens to both downloaded PNGs and the ones I make myself either in photoshop to remove a background or if I'm exporting a vector image as a PNG to place in a different doc.

I've attached a before screenshot, one where I'm looking at the preview from file explorer, and another of what happens to the document when I open it. Any ideas on how to fix it? My work around for the moment is placing PSD files, but with only having so much storage I rather place PNGs.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Hi All,

Sorry for the delayed update on this issue status.

This issue has been resolved with Ai v27.0.1. After updating, ensure you relink all the images in order to resolve the issue in the existing files. Let us know if the issue persists after updating & relinking images or if you encounter this issue in new documents.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there! I've been having the same issue. I found that if you do "rasterize" or "flatten transparency" on the image it will fix this issue. Apparently this is a bug that appeared recently. Hope this helped!

Re: PNG Images Are Inverted Colors When Opening Sa... - Adobe Support Community - 12963366

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works because it embeds the image, which is my current work around. I rather link the image then later I'd package the illustrator doc up to hand off to our print vendor where all the links would be in their own folder.

I just got done talking to adobe support and their solution was putting the PNG into photoshop and exporting it at 8 bit depth. It worked with one PNG image, but is still turning most negative after saving them in an illustrator doc! And if I export an illustrator doc as a PNG then place that PNG into another doc it still turns negative! Seems it exports all PNGs at 32 bit depth.

What's the point of the link option if I'm forced to embed anyway?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Maybe if you work with a previous version of Illustrator that works fine. At least until Adobe fixes that issue.

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem and I'm working on a MacBook Pro Monteray version 12.4. I don't know how to fix it. If I save it as a PDF instead of AI file, it works. Hope Adobe will fix this or tell me what to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screenshot of what I get when I reopen the file to edit it. How do I fix this? 

In the meantime, I have to start from the beginnng and will save it as a PDF.

Not happy for the extra time I'm needing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Relink the image so that it can go back to the correct colors, then go to Object >> Rasterize or Object >> Flatten Transparency, then save. This should fix the issue. It's tedious, but it works. Hope Adobe can fix this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same happened to me and i am convinced it has to do with the update! Its driving me crazy!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is for the negatives there are no problems in the Links panel - in fact, it's taking those links and embedding when it turns them negative. Here's a screen shot of that. You're advice is the best work around so far, but dang I hope this is fixed soon.

elizabethd89126239_0-1654105156320.png

I did unembed then relink! That did work! Without having to flatten transparency! So my big question is why is illustrator messing with the links and how is that turning the PNGs negative?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH.. I just figured it out! Thanks I'm going to try this.

Really happy for the tip.

Suzanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't relink the images because they are embedded. I'm happy to try but I'm so busy, I may as well start over.

 

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 10.44.29 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can relink embedded, go to Window up top then link, click the image you want to relink then hit the chain link at the bottom to relink the original file.

elizabethd89126239_1-1654105908814.png

I've circled what I'm talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super thanks! Someone posted that too and I was able to fix it. What happens when the file is saved and reopened after relinking. Do I have to do this all over again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't have to relink, I haven't had to yet. If I end up having to I'll reach back out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I did have to relink some stuff over and over, seems to depend on the document I'm working in. At that point I started relinking and then embedding - after that I had no issue when I reopened the document, but I still rather link than embed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's so time consuming to relink the images (what a drag) and then risk saving it as an AI file. Until the issue is fixed, I have decided to save it as a PDF. No problem reopening the PDF file and editing it this morning. Thanks for the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Suzanne246063073qwp @TLMusgrove @icanino @David245882293csg,

We are sorry for the trouble. We are able to reproduce the issue at our end. We have already logged a bug with the product team, and they are currently investigating the issue.

This is happening with the Ai file, which has linked images. While saving, when the "Include linked files " option is selected and then reopened, the Ai file images get inverted, or yellow color can be seen.

To avoid this, you may try the following steps:

• Embed the images in the document
    Anshul_Saini_0-1654209117247.png
  • Uncheck the "Include linked files"
    Anshul_Saini_2-1654209117596.png
  • Downgrade to an older version of Illustrator 

Let us know if this works for you or not.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Anshul for the information. I will try it.

Best regards,
Suzanne Walters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 8-100 linked ext. files - PNGs and SVGs. This is a non starter. How could you release the feature change that destroys your customer work??? I don't have any time for this !!!!!!! Every person who touches the files with a new version destroys my work!!! 20 -40 per project!!! And it pollutes the file too with additional paths and groupings. Do I have to tell 40 some people to back out Illustrator updates?????

Very irresponsible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! So annoying, so many files went corrupt this way, and I am 100% sure, that even after update they won't turn normal, as the files gets changed, all kind of image clipping happens and weird grouping occurs. So now I can't open any files! And Adobe suggesting taking holidays till new update???? And it's not 5 PNG's to replace or embed... Grrr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi All,

Sorry for the delayed update on this issue status.

This issue has been resolved with Ai v27.0.1. After updating, ensure you relink all the images in order to resolve the issue in the existing files. Let us know if the issue persists after updating & relinking images or if you encounter this issue in new documents.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines