• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Invert Selection and Cutting Custom Shapes

Participant ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help inverting the selection in the following photo. I have the letter selected but I want the outside to be filled with black. Also, does anyone know how to cut a custom shape? For example, if I have a black background and I want the cut out the shape of the letter. Thanks in advance.IMG_0396.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Hi. Since Illustrator is Object oriented, not pixel oriented, there's no direct option to select the inverse like in Photoshop. However, remember, that letter IS an Object - so if you put a black rectangle on behind it, it'll have black wherever that letter is transparent. There are several ways to draw behind that object. You can select "Draw Behind" (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/draw-content-behind-and-inside.html), but an easier way would be to just draw a black rectangle, right

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Since Illustrator is Object oriented, not pixel oriented, there's no direct option to select the inverse like in Photoshop. However, remember, that letter IS an Object - so if you put a black rectangle on behind it, it'll have black wherever that letter is transparent. There are several ways to draw behind that object. You can select "Draw Behind" (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/draw-content-behind-and-inside.html), but an easier way would be to just draw a black rectangle, right click it, and select Arrange>Move Backward.

IF you want to cut the shape OUT of a black rectangle, make sure the shape is in front of the black rectangle. Convert you letter to Outline (Type>Create Outlines). Select both the letter and the rectangle, and in the menu, choose Object> Compound Path>Make

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to help! 

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines