• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inverted/reverse perspective in Illustrator

Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to figure out if I can set up the perspective tool to like in the attached image. Basically, inverting the initial perspective. I've tried messing around with the horizon line, planes, etc. but can't seem to get a setup that looks like this. I know I can do it by creating 2 perspective grids and doing each side of the building on its own, but that becomes difficult to line up etc. and I'm wondering if there is an easier way? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!Picture1.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

There are tutorials available here:

Illustration tutorials for technical and automotive illustrators and art students

That's about perepctive drawing theory, not particularly about Illustrator's perspective grid, which is a kind of different thing working with.

And then there's this book:

https://www.gregmaxson.com/store/the-complete-technical-illustrator-pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Build it in SketchUp and import as vector. Or just do the whole project in Sketchup.

I realize I don't know your goal, I just wonder why do something in AI that is better suited for another tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks rcraighead,

That's a good point, but there are a number of reasons I want to do this in AI, not the least of which being that I don't have a license for SketchUp, which looks like a great program btw.

1) I am not looking to re-create this exactly, all I really need to do is create a very simplistic skeleton so I can use it for a sort of 3D map, but it only needs to be a simple perspective drawing.

2) I am a graphic designer and rarely have a need to do any 3D perspective drawings like this, so it doesn't really make sense for my company to buy a license for something like SketchUp for a one-off project.

3) I am most comfortable working in Adobe products, and I'm sure AI will be plenty sufficient for what I'm trying to do with this, I just need to know how to set up the perspective tool in the right manner, or to know if it is is indeed possible (at default the perspective comes at the viewer, sort of like if you were on the other side of the building in the photo, I'm trying to flip that inward if that makes sense?)

Thanks again for your comment, maybe someone else will have an idea of how to setup the perspective this way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't really enjoy wrestling with the perspective grid. what i'd do is make my own vanishing points and do it the old fashioned way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started with a bunch of guidelines I drew along the buildings in that image and then came up with this:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-06-02 um 14.50.23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice work Monika,

So that is all done by hand then? I'm not sure that I'm familiar enough with perspective to come up with something like this, hence why I'm trying to setup the perspective grid to help me. Is there some way to plug in these coordinates using the perspective grid tool? Otherwise, thanks so much for doing this, it helps me visualize how I can do it by hand. Can you send me the template? lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

monika has extrapolated vanishing points from lines off the buildings in the image, then dragged the perspective grid around to match it to those points. then you could just delete the guidelines and exclusively use the grid if you want.

of course you could do it all without the grid. what do you know about x-point perspective drawing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Doug,

That makes sense, I'll see if I can get it set up based on this. I know very little about x-point perspective drawing, save little bits I learned way back in school and have since forgotten over the years. Trying to give myself a crash course for this and future projects. Anything you can point me to that might be helpful? Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is some info on the perspective tool  - How to define perspective grids in Illustrator  and more on perspective drawing -  How to draw artwork in perspective in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Myra,

I took a course on Lynda.com that taught me the ropes on the tool, I just couldn't wrap my head around how to set the various points to achieve the perspective for this particular shape. I'm still not sure that I get it completely, but Monika's image helps a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are tutorials available here:

Illustration tutorials for technical and automotive illustrators and art students

That's about perepctive drawing theory, not particularly about Illustrator's perspective grid, which is a kind of different thing working with.

And then there's this book:

https://www.gregmaxson.com/store/the-complete-technical-illustrator-pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood.

Sketchup Make is a free, fully functional version of Sketchup. Worth considering.

Monika has given you a good roadmap to using the perspective tool.

You might find tracing your reference easier than bothering with the perspective tool though. Or distorting Symbols with "Envelope Distort".

Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 8.50.47 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again,

I will definitely check out the free version of Sketch. I think the distort option is good for super simple things, but it seems that it would be difficult to keep the various sides of the buildings in perfect perspective by using that method. At least for now I need some sort of grid to keep me honest

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines