• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Join Paths Not Working (It Keeps Selecting an Anchor Point in Middle of Line as Endpoint)

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm trying to follow this tutorial: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/drawing-tools-basics.html (the final video, Joining Paths) 

Here is the result I get when following the exact steps provided in the video (note that there should be no line cutting across the eye from one corner to the other--it appears that Illustrator is recognizing one of the previous endpoints from before the first join as a current endpoint): 

Joining Paths Problem Screencap.png

I have researched this a little and it appears some people have a had similar problems, but not this same problem.

Note that I tried to attach the Illustrator file, but received some kind of an error saying that the file does not match its extension and has been removed (I got the files from this site). 

Thanks,

Turq

TOPICS
Bug , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ends of your paths do not meet exactly on the left side. I would sugest you redo the join and then fix the positioning of your paths and then try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that and it still does it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turq98BC_0-1601391189498.pngTurq98BC_1-1601391214805.png

Turq98BC_2-1601391243368.pngTurq98BC_3-1601391265352.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turq,

As I (mis)understand it (and maybe the tutorial is simply wrong, I am disinclined to watch tutorials), what happens in both attempts shown is that the left end Anchor Point of your top path is joined to the right end Anchor Point of your bottom path with the straight horizontal path segment in between.

In other words, you get an open path with what is basically an S hape with the ends more or less reaching (actually reaching, underreaching, and overreaching, it seems) the joins.

The reason for the spikes is that you have Miter Joins which stick out.

The right way is to have the left ends of the paths join and the right ends of the paths join.

There is a script (by 佐藤浩之, Satō Hiroyuki) called Join Reasonably.

In your case I am afraid you have invoked something opposite, which we might call Join UnReasonably.

What happens if you start over with the separate top and bottom paths, then with everything deselected ClickDrag across the coinciding end Achor Points, first at one end and then the other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well then the issue is that they provided files that have the problem pre-existant in them, because I'm not the one who made the bottom path you start with. All I did was copy the path, paste in place, and flip it vertically like the tutorial said to do, then hit Ctrl+J to join on the left and when I hit Ctrl+J again to join on the right, it does what I showed you. It's pretty infuriating because the person doing the tutorial video clearly has the same file, and it works fine for him. But I've noticed this in quite a few tutorial videos--for some reason, the file isn't the same as the one he's showing, but nearly thus, like he'll want you to move jumbled lettering in place but in the file you download, the lettering is already in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I tried doing the steps recommended in the last paragraph of what you wrote and it still does the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turq,

What happens if you go one step further back and create a first arc (making sure the end Anchor Points are level, you can use a horizontal line (in different ways)), then reflect a copy of it (horizontal axis), then ClickDrag the copy into place by ClickDragging one corner to snap (Smart Guides are your friends), then try to join (as suggested or just use Join with the two paths selected)?

And what happens if you do the same except rotate a copy of the first arc (180 degrees) instead of reflecting it?

As I said to start with, maybe the tutorial is simply wrong (maybe there is something wrong with the path).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, yeah, when I make my own path it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob,

@Turq98BC is totally right. The file is wrong!

There are two identical arcs exactly one above the other - nested in several groups. Furthermore the start and and end point of the arc are not exactly horizontally aligned.

Not the best template for beginners! And IMHO I would use the Join Tool instead of the menu command: Join

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works fine when I make my own path, as Jacob_Bugge suggested. So there's something wrong with the line included in the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hans-Jürgen,

Thank you very much for suffering the tutorial and setting things straight.

I was certain the tutorial/file/path was wrong.

I believe you can save countless innocent vistims if you can make the folk behind the helpx pages aware of the wrongness of the tutorial, so they can correct it (or at least move it to the how-not-to section). I have no clue how/whether it can be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I'm gonna call Adobe and let them know, don't worry. They have a 24 hour helpline. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hope you will report your findings, Turq.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines