• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Links when replaced do not show up in Illustrator Links palette.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document I created in AI where I've placed 50 AI files, linked, not embedded, so that I can duplicate the layout and then replace the links. After duplicating the file, I was able to replace a number of links, but I noticed that the link list didn't match what was placed in the document and when selecting a newly-placed AI file, that file doesn't appear in the Links panel. Am I missing something or is this a bug?

This is using AI 26 on a PC.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you check that when you place a file that in the Options the Link box is still checked?

I f not, it will automatically embed the next placed file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - yes, it is. There are no embedded files in the palette. There are links shown for files that are not in the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is shown as a linked file and you cannot go to that file by clicking the Go to Link button I would contact  Adobe support (probably after the weekend).

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Pete25182940rvck,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. Would you mind sharing a few more details like:

• The exact version of Illustrator
  • Is this happening within a specific document or all?
  • Where are the linked & Ai file stored? (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)
  • Does saving the AI file & linked files in the same folder help?
  • Have you tried resetting Illustrator Preferences (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-preference-issues.html)?

Also, as Ton mentioned, go to the LInk Panel and select the missing/unwanted link, then select 'Go To Link' (second button from the left). It takes you where is the location of the missing link. Then go to the Edit menu and then click 'clear' to remove it. This will clear up the missing/unwanted link from your link window.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• AI 26
  • All
  • Files are stored in the same folder as the imposition.
  • See above.
  • Yes - resetting prefs on Mac or PC makes no difference.

As to the link suggestion, please re-read and understand what I've written. The links in the palette don't exist in the document and links placed don't appear in the palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for getting back to me. Would it be possible for you to share a sample document in which this issue is happening? If yes, please share the Ai along with the linked images. We'll check it at our end.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines