Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing fonts in Illustrator with Windows 10

Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I know this topic has come up before, but I've only ever seen it with regards to Macs. I use the Nexus Font font manager and I have tons of fonts which I can see in it, but lately I've been noticing that a bunch of them aren't showing up in Illustrator or InDesign (CS6). I find it especially strange that I can't access a lot of my Adobe fonts in Illustrator. I know sometimes with Macs the issue has been that fonts are being stored in multiple locations on the hard drive. I'm not sure if this is a common issue with Windows PCs or not or if anybody has any other ideas? I miss my fonts!

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

I have same question. I use my cloud subscription, win10pro and font expert software. And I found solution.

1. I deleted missing fonts from my win10

2. How to reset Font settings in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

3. After this I just reinstalled all missed fonts

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance that the fonts are PS Type 1 fonts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here... all installed fonts do not show preview. And somehow I managed that font preview in NexusFont and afterwards in Illustrator are showing... but today again... empty text boxes without font preview...

Need to admit, that I install shortcut fonts - fonts are located in different path, not in c:/windows/fonts/ but this way it worked in Win7... also on Win10 on other machine...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow got it to work.. so my recepie:

1. In Windows 10 click on "start" and start to type "font settings". Check in "Allow fonts to be installed using a shortcut"

2. Create *.bat file for reseting font cache: Windows 10 Forums

3. Run this *.bat file as Administrator, restart.

4. For installing/managing fonts Im using NexusFont.

Also while where figuring out I was switching on/off Services -> Windows Font Cache Service. But right now this service is automatically switched on and running.

p.s. yesterday again (after switching from Windows 7 to Windows 10 hard drives) in Windows10 font preview was missing - just run *.bat file again, did restart and fonts are working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found the solution!

You may have already seen the solution elsewhere of disabling Windows Font Cache Management in Windows Services, but I continued to have problems with my fonts looking like they were missing even AFTER doing this disable.

Either read the solution below or watch the YouTube video I made showing the simple solution: Fix Missing or Empty Font Problems in Nexus Font and Windows 10 - YouTube

The solution is to open Nexus Font, go to the font, or folder of fonts, select them and then choose "Uninstall fonts...". IMPORTANT: You want to choose to "Leave the files where they are" when you do this. When I installed all my fonts, I also chose to leave the font files in their location because it helps me organize them.

After you uninstall the fonts, you will see that "magically" they show up again and the font preview is no longer missing. Simply choose your fonts again (I just do a Ctrl-A in the folder I'm in), and choose to "Install fonts...", and again I choose to leave the files where they are.

You should be able to open your document and everything should be back to normal.

- Best of luck!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same question. I use my cloud subscription, win10pro and font expert software. And I found solution.

1. I deleted missing fonts from my win10

2. How to reset Font settings in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

3. After this I just reinstalled all missed fonts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous! I just installed a new font (KozukaGothicPro.otf), then started Illustrator. Kozuka not listed at all. I then opened Inkscape and Word as a test, and both those programs list the new font and allow me to use it. Clearly there is nothing wrong with Windows, only Illustrator! This is the "last straw" for me, especially as Illustrator also writes out SVGs at the wrong size with the wrong font names embedded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try: Preferences > Type > Show Font Names in English?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip. I set the option you named, restarted Illustrator, and it now appears, weirdly, below "Wingdings 3", not above "Kristen". Is this another bug or is there a reason for it appearing out of order?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that helped.

From what I can see the non western fonts are last in the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aug 2022

I loaded CS6 Illustrator from a CD onto a WIN10 Computer.

Opened a Design and when I select:  TYPE / FONT >  

there is NO DROPDOWN List of Fonts ?

I then purchased 26.5 Cloud Illustrator thinking CS6 was too

old for WIN10 and BOOM - Same Problem?

I can see all My Window/fonts in MSWord and other processors.

I can also see all of them if I use the 'character' app in Cloud Illustrator.

If I open an exiting design, Illustrator tries to REPLACE all the fonts

with error msg that I am missing fonts ????? !

Have restarted, Re-installed, created a /common files/Adobe/Fonts folder and more

concluding it has to be an Illustrator -vs- Windows 10  incompatability !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Joe25865933bvky,

Sorry to hear about this experience. I hope the suggestions shared by Monika helped resolve the problem. If not, kindly try running Illustrator under a new administrator account and share your observations.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines