• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple shapes behaviour in the Shape Builder Tool

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to get rid off the multiple shapes behaviour in the Shape Builder Tool? I only draw one rectangle (or circle, line, etc.) and it results in multiple shapes. I tried to reset the default settings and I also reinstalled Illustrator, but unfortunately it didn't work out and I still have the same problem. This behaviour appeared "suddenly".

I also restarted my computer, attached antother keyboard but nothing solved the problem so far.

Anybody had the same problem in the past? If so, what have you done to get rid off it??

illustrator.png

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Bob,

There are rare cases where Illy (job description Adobe Illustrator) believes that the Tilde key is stuck.

I am afraid the cure is to replace the preferences; it could have been solved by your uninstalling, but only if you ticked the box to delete the preferences.

You may (excerpts from a longer list):

4) Close down Illy and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup (easy but irreversible);

5) Move the folder (follow the link with that name) with Illy closed (more tediou

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In what way are you using the shape builder tool on a single shape?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicked on rectangle tool. Drew a rectangle only with mouse, without any keyboard button pressed.

But line, oval, polygon, and star also behave the same. Every shape results in multiple shapes as in the attached printscreen.

illustrator2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I did not use the wright words.... translation problems 🙂

I meant i draw a shape with rectangle, oval, polygon, etc.

The words shape builder tool was probably not corrects chosen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Vormen maken' is 'Shape Builder tool' in English.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check if the Tilde key (~) is stuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already attached another keyboard. Problem continues.

Tilde is working ~~~~~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

There are rare cases where Illy (job description Adobe Illustrator) believes that the Tilde key is stuck.

I am afraid the cure is to replace the preferences; it could have been solved by your uninstalling, but only if you ticked the box to delete the preferences.

You may (excerpts from a longer list):

4) Close down Illy and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup (easy but irreversible);

5) Move the folder (follow the link with that name) with Illy closed (more tedious but also more thorough and reversible), you may find the folder here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/preference-file-location-illustrator.html

6) Follow the instructions here: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Jacob!!!

Solution 4 finally worked for me: "Close down Illy and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup" (i clicked before and holding until open).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Jack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, nothing above helped. I have a small keyboard, my Tilde is on ESC key, and it is not stuck. I tried reseting prefferences and it still does the same thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tilde is on Esc key? Really?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What else is running? Other apps might interfere. Brwsers, screensharing apps, whatever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines