• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My color swatch library disappeared!! why?? and how do I get it back?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Usually use my default color swatches that illustrator automatically gave me when I first downloaded it... but now when I open new documents, those don't show up anymore.. No my settings are not on greyscale. I did however catch it on greyscale when I first encountered this problem. The color swatches have been lost ever since then. How do I get my default Illustrator color library that Illustrator first starts you off with back in my color swatches and how do I keep it there??

Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 2.08.58 AM.png

TOPICS
Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

You can always load the default swatches using the Swatches panel menu.

Did you try to reset  your preferences?

How to set preferences in Illustrator

To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (macOS) as you start

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Also, at the bottom of the Swatches panel is the Show Swatch Kinds menu. I had Show Pattern Swatches selected by accident and thought all my document swatches were gone, but when selecting Show All Swatches they were back!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

This happens to me regularly where the default swatches will dissapear leaving just registration and no-color. Open the swatch library at the bottom left drop-down menu, then open the desired library (for me it is Art & Illustration in Default Swatches). Select all the colors you want (click + shift-click first and last), open the pallet options and select "Add to Swatches".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have this problem when you create a new file? File > New... ?

This problem normally happens when you open an image file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes every time I create a new file or open a project from my creative cloud library. I have an iPad pro and i use sketch and draw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can always load the default swatches using the Swatches panel menu.

Did you try to reset  your preferences?

How to set preferences in Illustrator

To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (macOS) as you start

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, at the bottom of the Swatches panel is the Show Swatch Kinds menu. I had Show Pattern Swatches selected by accident and thought all my document swatches were gone, but when selecting Show All Swatches they were back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this happen to me.  The default swatches no longer exist.  Is there a place one can download them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS and version are you using? What version of AI? Have you tried the option from the marked answer? What type of file have you opened? If a raster file it will not show any swatches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select them from the swatches panel.

default swatches.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this issue for a few months now as well. Each time I open Illustrator my swatches window is missing, and I had to open the swatches window and re-load my swatches. I think I found the solution. Within the swatches window/panel click the upper right hamburger menu to reveal the swatches options - make sure persitent is checked. Checking that appears to be holding the swatch window/panel when I close then re-open illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this problem and can't work out how to get them back. I have so much work to do and now can't complete it 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your swatches are gone? Just create new ones. https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/using-creating-swatches.html If you want swatches in every new document, don't bypass the new document dialog box by opening a JPEG or the like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this fixed it for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this is a really old post. Did you figure it out? I'm having the same problem and don't know what to do. I've tried everything that's been recommended here and nothing works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a AI beginner and came across the issue of missing swatches.  The problem is I was opening an image file (jpg) which 'disables' the swatch library from showing up.  I finally figured out this process that worked:

1. Open your image file and do an Image Trace to convert the image to vector object
  2. Open a new file window (File / New / Create) which should display your default swatches
  3. Copy the vector object from the first window (the jpg file) into the new window by Direct Selecting all, then Edit / Copy / Paste into new file window
  4. The vector object will now be in the new window where the swatches are displayed

Hope this helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or as mentioned above, select them from the swatches panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This video helps! My swatches were missing from the upper right corner. Copy them like in that video posted by Iamwoodnut, and they will appear again in the swatches whic are right beneeth the "File" and "edit" menues.

Thanks  for help 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2023 Dec 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this little video worked for me. It was driving me crazy. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to me regularly where the default swatches will dissapear leaving just registration and no-color. Open the swatch library at the bottom left drop-down menu, then open the desired library (for me it is Art & Illustration in Default Swatches). Select all the colors you want (click + shift-click first and last), open the pallet options and select "Add to Swatches".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines