Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New layers start TOO FAR ABOVE IN THE STACK

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean it's been years now

Why is it not poosible to create a layer where i am in the stack?  How many years do we have to wait to be able to create a layer right where we are in the stack versus having to scroll waaaay above somewhere to find the new layer?

And once the new layer is created (and resting at the top of the stack) then how do we move the layer back into the place where we were working ?  By selecting and dragging it of course which is more time wasting as it scrolls the stack at snails pace. 

There is a new sublayer button, but this does nothing more than moves the new layer to the top of the existing stack versus outside of it, and is kinda a waste of development.

A new sublayer button does not address this problem.  

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree! You should post this on https://illustrator.uservoice.com/ so it can be upvoted and gain some traction with the Product team and engineers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My AI creates the layer directly above the layer I have selected (usually the one I am working on). Is that what you are referring to?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm...as David mentioned, the new layer always appears directly above the layer that is selected when the New Layer command is issued. As far as I know, it's always been that way. Not for you?

JohnMensinger_0-1649184956739.pngJohnMensinger_1-1649184979543.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John Mensinger @Creamer Training I think what the OP is referring to is the sublayers not the Layer (containers).

If you are working on a sublayer and add a new sublayer it is automatically at the top of the stack inside the Layer container.

See below: I had rectangle 1 select and was scaling. Then I wanted to add an object directly on top - between 1 and 2. Adding a sublayer or drawing adds it to the top.

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1649188169270.png

Changing the drawing mode to draw behind does put an object immediately behind the selected object, but draw in front (traditional mode) adds it to the top of the stack - not immediately on top of the selected object. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sublayer and layer buttons worked as expected (to me, anyway).

2022-04-05_13-29-31.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But its not - When you selected the sublayer with the red arrow and added a layer - it went to the top of the list not immediately above the red arrow sublayer.

Try this. Draw two rectangles. Select the bottom most rectangle. Now - how do you add an object between the two?

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1649252153990.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you are discussing adding layers directly above an OBJECT, not a layer or sublayer. Is that correct?

If so, that's not normal behavior for AI. AI is putting new layers above my active LAYER or inserting a SUBLAYER at the top of the objects in the parent layer. 

Perhaps a feature request on uservoice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my original response to the OP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry--I thought your original response was to go to user voice. 

I was confused by this:

"If you are working on a sublayer and add a new sublayer it is automatically at the top of the stack inside the Layer container."

I read the last "Layer container" as the parent layer, not the current sublayer. My mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries I think this could be a helpful tool which is why I responded to go to User Voice.

We have a draw behind that works as one would expect - immediately behind the current sublayer.

But the draw in front does not behave the same way. Even a new button would be welcome as a choice not a full behavioral change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know if the "layers" will work the same way as "sublayers" as far as what is on the layer, but I created 2 sublayers for layer 1 "Main art" and then went to "add layer" instead of "add sublayer" and they were still inside the sublayer area.Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 4.49.46 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The art layers, e.g.  <Rectangle>, are not the same as real layers, e.g. "Layer X" - everything in Illy starts from the top down, within the "real" layer, or "real" sub-layer (i.e it's a layer and not an object). AFAIK it's always been this way. Although it's probably more intuitive that you want to draw on top of the item you were just selecting, Illy doesn't actually know that, so places the object at the top of the drawing stack within the current ("real") layer, sub layer or sub sub layer etc.

Worth a vote on uservoice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case we are talking about objects (and not main layers or sublayers), it's possible by isolating the object (Isolation mode for single objects), then draw a new path above the isolated object.

To make that a bit easier, one can assign a keyboard shortcut to enter Isolation mode (see Edit menu > Keyboard Shortcuts) for single objects. Then select the object, hit the shortcut and draw a new path. It will be located above the isolated object. After that, hit the Escape key to exit Isolation mode.

Admittedly, it's a bit cumbersome, but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OBJECTS are not LAYERS.

Objects are always created from the ground up.

If the OP wants to add a "layer" above one of the objects in his "stack", they need to make the object into a layer first.

Easy way to do this is to select the layer containing the objects in question and Release to Layers (Sequence). All the objects now have become separate sublayers, from the ground up, and they can add one directly above anu one they want.

Obvioulsy, this is not a workable solution with any layer with complex objects as you can have THOUSANDS of objects on one layer.

OR, select an object on the artboard and any new object draw will appear above wherever it is in the stack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brad, have you tested this?

OR, select an object on the artboard and any new object draw will appear above wherever it is in the stack.

See below:

Rectangle Objects were created in the following order:

Mangenta, Cyan, Yellow.

I then selected/modified the Magenta rectangle and wanted to draw the Black rectangle immediately above it in the stack order.

kevinstohlmeyer_1-1649339482331.png

With  the current "Draw Normal" behavior the Black rectangle goes to the top of the Stack in the layer and does not appear above the object in the stack.

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1649339413340.png
However, the "Draw Behind" will actually honor the stack order and draw the object behind.
kevinstohlmeyer_2-1649339602042.png

What is missing is a "Draw in Front" button to add objects immediately in front of the selected object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Hi Brad, have you tested this?"

I did!! And yesterday it did what I described, but now that I tried it again now, it's NOT doing what I had described, so I'm sorry I led people down a wrong assumption.

I'm going to see if I can find what I might have done differently yesterday. I shall report back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh dang. I figured out what I did wrong. Yah, ignore that section of my post. Newly drawn objects always are at the top. The only time that doesn't happen is if you drag-copy an object; the copy will land immediately above the original as opposed to the top. The same happens if you drag an object in the layers panel to the copy [+] icon. the copy falls immediately above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines