Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Numbered list across different text boxes

Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone! 

I'm trying to create the headers of an index in Illustrator. So, I'd like a numbered list with all my sections and then be able to break up that list into individual text boxes, so I can list the subsections below. Something like this: 

chamilila_0-1673019507813.png

But when I break up the list into new text boxes, the numbers seem to reset, which is really annoying. Is there any way to maintain the numbering across different text boxes?

Captura de pantalla (176).png

When I resize the text box, I get the ACTUAL numbers I want over it, like the continued numbers. Which is weird because that only shows up when manipulating the tex box. 

Does anyone know if it's possible to keep the original numbers across multiple text boxes?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

So creating a text box and then the numbering and later resizing the box and splitting it up across multiple text boxes and then resizing it again keeps the numbering for me.

Can you please show screenshots of each step?

It's the same paragraph style you apply to all the text, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using threaded text boxes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likewise, I don't see numbers resetting in threaded text boxes:

DougARoberts_0-1673023741462.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So creating a text box and then the numbering and later resizing the box and splitting it up across multiple text boxes and then resizing it again keeps the numbering for me.

Can you please show screenshots of each step?

It's the same paragraph style you apply to all the text, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That actually did work. But I'm not sure what the difference is with the previous text box, because they have the same text style. It's a mystery lol. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@chamilila 

That is not an answer to your question.

However, InDesign is clearly better suited for such tasks.

Do you have experience with InDesign? Would that perhaps be an alternative for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @pixxxelschubser , I do have experience with inDesign. However, this set of documents have already been designed in Illustrator so it would have been a much more time-consuming task to import/migrate the designs and I managed to do it the way Monika suggested for the numbered lists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately I don't know your project.

But if it is to be a recurring project:

Maybe in the next edition of your project? Maybe the effort for a new creation in InDesign is worth it very quickly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines