• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening Illustrator files duplicates linked images

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, when opening multiple illustrator files with large linked images, Illustrator seems to replicate and position (and scaled) images from within the file, sometimes even duplicating existing links. Each link in the file is accompanied by an extra image which Illustrator prompts to be relinked upon opening the file. This has only started occuring after updating Illustrator to 27.4.1.

Wondering if any one else has this issue and hoping this bug gets fixed.

Thanks

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Try changing this setting, it solved it for my colleague.

Screenshot-2023-08-28-at-11.59.51.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never seen this or seen it mentioned in this forum.

Did you already do the obvious? Reboot the computer, reset the preferences (which will erase your settings)?

Where are the files located, where are the images located?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least I now know I'm not alone! It's like try to drive and someone keeps graping the steering wheel! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is sooo frustrating, slowing down my work by half...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m having exactly the same issue. Unfortunately Adobe don’t seem to be offering a fix or even recognising this is an issue. I work on multiple packaging files and it adds additional images and also imports additional images that are greatly scaled up on my designs.

Absolutely infuriating as I cannot keep removing these duplicates every time as theres just so many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to hear that. I spent over an hour with Adobe Support taking over my Mac to try and resolve the issue. They couldn't. Only work around is to only have one Ai file open at a time. Ridiculous. Hopefully they will fix it with the next update. If I still have a job by then!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several updates since this bug first materialised and it's still not fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, everytime I have extra files opening, the images are unlinked and duplicated... It is soo time consuming when you need to relink everything, or close and open files repeatedly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue also, I also get this error message. Hope they fix it soon. 

Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 16.31.55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I jave the same issue. Just been on a chat with Adobe and they just ‘fobbed me off’ with various other explanations. The only work around they seemd to offer was to work on files from your desktop????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I have the same issue as well. Very annoying and time-consuming. I found out recently that I only have this problem when I have multiple AI files open at the same time, but if I open the file without any AI files open, it will open without this issue. Hope Adobe fixes this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you already tryresetting the preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Safe to say both I, and Adobe support, have tried everything - to no avail.
Several reinstalls, preference resets, three Illustrator updates, and still the only work around I have is to just have one AI file open at a time.
Which massively impacts my productivity.

☹️

Sent from Outlook for iOS<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Duncan295999878otv  schrieb:
Safe to say both I, and Adobe support, have tried everything - to no avail.
Several reinstalls, preference resets, three Illustrator updates, and still the only work around I have is to just have one AI file open at a time.
Which massively impacts my productivity.

Did you report it on https://illustrator.uservoice.com 

That would be important. And any additional info you might have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2023 Aug 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to me EVERYTIME I open an illustrator file. It happens even when I have no other files open (as some people have stated might be a workaround). It's so frustrating hving to spend 10+ mintues cleaning up the file and relinking before I can even do any work on it.

It seems that all the links get placed multiple times and enlarged over my artboards. I always get the same error message. And then my accurately placed links become pixelated and have several duplicates sitting on top of each of them. See attached screengrabs.

Thank you for posting this– it's the first time I'm seeing someone with the same issue on here and I've been dealing with this for about a year now. Multiple people in my company are also having the same issue, with no resolution. In the past, uninstalling and reinstalling Illustator used to work for a bit but it's recently gotten so much worse. Hoping someone can finally find a fix!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2024 Aug 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exact same thing is happening to me! Unchecking the "Optimize File Open and Save..." mentioned above unfortunately doesn't work for me either. Please Adobe, help us! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2024 Aug 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

According to your other post, you suspect a Monotype plugin causing this.

Maybe others in this post can check if they have that plugin installed.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/monotype-plugin-extension-causing-duplicated-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing this setting, it solved it for my colleague.

Screenshot-2023-08-28-at-11.59.51.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this works! So far so good... will report back.

THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have spoke too soon... it worked for a little whilte- but it's right back to it's okay shenanigans. This is SO frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I tried it too.

No joy.

I live in hope that Adobe will resolve this in an update at some point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this is happening to a few people in this thread. Questions I have:

1. Are you linking to images locally on your hard drive, or on a network drive that is different and what OS that network drive is formatted with, or Adobe Cloud images
  2. What OS version & AI version are you all using? Make sure your application and OS are compatible with each other.

Illustrator system requirements | earlier releases

ba.bro.2.psd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In our case, we are running MacOS, latest version of OS and Illustrator. The data is on a Synology file server, connected through 1GBit local network over smb protocol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same issue on both Illustrator 2023 and illustrator 2022.

We experience it working both from a cloud server - Egnyte  and working locally with all files saved and relinked to desktop.

Its really infuriating and has been going on for a year or so now.

All our Macs are up to date and the Illustrator versions (both 2022 and 2023) have the latest updates.

We work on a packaging artworks and this is causing us lots of problems. in files where there should only be 4 linked images we currently have 6copies of each linked image - sometimes they dont duplicate in the same layer but randomly appear in other layers.

Even when we remove the extra lined images some of them appear as low res or pixallated images so we even have to go into the links window and relink every link...

We tried the solution above abut it did not work.

Adobe needs to sort this out soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After many discussions with Adobe support there only solution is to work from your local computer.

Apparently Illustrator CAN NOT work with files and links stored on

- Cloud server

- Local network server

- NAS drive

Their only  solution was to package the job from the server onto the local computer (desktop) and ensure all the links are reading from the local links folder. THen when you have finished working on the file - reupload it to back to the server. Everytime you want to make a change you have to repeat the above steps.

This is a rediculous situation.

The solution of copy all the files off the server, relink locally and then resave back onto the server causes too many problems in the modern ways of working.

• We use Egnyte cloud server which retains previous versions of a file when saved. however file when copied back onto the server from the desktop undermines the historic version control system on our server meaning we lose all previous version of the file . Now If we need to go back to an earlier version – the only way around is to manually keep multiple copies of the file for every time someone makes amends – this takes up far more space on a server - and is subject to human error and more processes.
  • It creates an issue if someone fails to reupload the files at the end of the day and the latest version is now on remote desktop.
  • It creates issues if a file is corrupted, and additional back ups now need to be set up for the desktop computer so - additional local computer backups.
  • Downloading entire jobs locally and reuploading takes additional bandwidth - remote working staff will wait longer and waste time waiting for all files including links to download and then upload back to the server – very unproductive.
  • Productivity of remote staff has halved due to this new process and staff without access to a superfast broadband are struggling.
  • We use Esko products which require the files to be stored on a main server and all our automation is based on a central serve – so this is now additional work and cost to the business to find a work around.

It is madness that when more businesses are working hybrid and have changed their systems to cloud based, Adobe decided, a year ago, to do the opposite and make life even harder and more challenging by changing how Illustrator worked.

Illustrator worked fine before and was able to work with files on a server with no issues.

We have now reverted to Illustrator 2021 (V25) as this is the only version where we do not have the links issue, but this version is not supported with updates from Adobe and probably will start having issues as the MAC OS updates...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines