• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening Illustrator files duplicates linked images

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, when opening multiple illustrator files with large linked images, Illustrator seems to replicate and position (and scaled) images from within the file, sometimes even duplicating existing links. Each link in the file is accompanied by an extra image which Illustrator prompts to be relinked upon opening the file. This has only started occuring after updating Illustrator to 27.4.1.

Wondering if any one else has this issue and hoping this bug gets fixed.

Thanks

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Try changing this setting, it solved it for my colleague.

Screenshot-2023-08-28-at-11.59.51.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add: this problem even occurs when working with files which are wholly local (eg. file bundles Packaged and supplied by client which are on my Desktop), in fact even when the links are in the same folder as the Illustrator file. Once those files are re-saved locally they become fine, and there's no limit to how many I can have open at once... though obviously this is just a (mostly impractical) temporary workaround rather than an actual fix.

Still waiting for Adobe to address this glaring issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of my links are always saved locally to my laptop. They are not linking to any cloud or network server. 

OS version has since been updated to Sonoma (previously Ventura) and using Illustrator 2024. We have since reverted back to previous versions of Illustator when this didn't happen as often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all - I just wanted to add that in January 2024, this issue still exists. The solution that has been "marked as resolved" did not work for me. The only working solution has been to use 2021 Illustrator, which I thankfully still have installed. I realize this is not a solution available to many others. Adobe really needs to sort this out, as the solution to "only have 1 file open at a time" is not a viable solution for the type of work that my company does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in packaging design and therefore need to a number of .ai files open at once. I have been having the same problem mentioned here and it does not seem to make any difference where the files are located, server or desktop. However the one place this is not a problem is if your .ai are saved to your Adobe Cloud Drive, the linked files can remain on your desktop. As this is not the way most of us work this is not really a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i'm seeing this happen with several people and to a lot of files at the moment. It seems to have got worse with the latest release of Illustrator v 28.1. This is all macOS users on any of Monterey, Ventura or Sonoma.

Question here - are any of the people being affected also on macos and using the Monotype desktop app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My whole agency has been having this issue for around a year now. We switched to Monotype last summer around the same time it started happening so not sure if it was a coincidence but interesting that you raised it.

This issue alone is accountable to a lot of people's late finishes atm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm, that's interesting, we installed the Monotype app a while ago to test using their system, I can't remember exactly if this issue on my machine cropped up then, but I've deleted Monotype a while ago, and probably since then the issue hasn't cropped again, so it could be the Monotype app somehow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on, Adobe — fix this please. Still an issue. What's the solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this happen for the first time, all files were downloaded and in a local folder. Closing other open files first solved the issue. I do have the Monotype app, but I did not look into that. Disabling file open preference did not help.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running Monotype desktop font app? Someone else thought that this might be partly responsibly for the issue we are seeing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in packaging design and therefore need to a number of .ai files open at once. I have been having the same problem mentioned here and it does not seem to make any difference where the files are located, server or desktop. However the one place this is not a problem is if your .ai are saved to your Adobe Cloud Drive, the linked files can remain on your desktop. As this is not the way most of us work this is not really a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm following your workflow correctly, you might be using CC File Sync, which is being removed, so Cloud Drive isn't really a linking option anymore anyways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have never had an issue like this until now working with illustrator as a packaging designer in the industry for over 15 years. Feels like Adobes products are pushing looking backwards. 1 file open at a time? Locally stored images? Cmon. What are you doing Adobe? Fix it! Your products should be MORE intutive and streamlined, not archaic and cumbersome. Waiting with anticipation for a competitive software to arrive... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of interest, have you recently installed or started using Monotype Server? Only because a few people on this thread have mentioned it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've switched to Monotype Fonts, but I've not been able to do testing to isolate it as a variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opening Illustrator files with linked images can sometimes result in duplicate instances of those images within the document. This duplication occurs because Illustrator automatically embeds linked images into the file upon opening, rather than simply referencing the original linked files. This behavior can lead to larger file sizes and potential confusion when managing assets.

To address this issue, users can adjust their Illustrator settings to prevent automatic embedding of linked images or manually remove duplicate instances after opening the file. Additionally, practicing efficient file management techniques, such as organizing linked assets in a centralized folder and updating links as needed, can help streamline the workflow and minimize duplication.

Meanwhile, individuals searching for a villa for rent in Ajman have numerous options available, with the city offering a range of properties to suit various preferences and budgets. Ajman's vibrant real estate market presents opportunities for renters to find their ideal villa, whether they seek waterfront views, spacious interiors, or convenient access to amenities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines