• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pantone and Fonts

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe that Pantone colors won't be available in 2023 - and that all Type 2 fonts will no longer work. Not good!

TOPICS
Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

In some cases Adobe Fonts may be the answer.

You can search for similar fonts or replace directly with an OTF of the same family either on the site or directly in the software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

One of the easiest work arounds is to just install the pantone colors manually in your swatch panels from your current .acb files. Adobe has not stopped support for that format. They just wont include them in future releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe users are just the largest group. Also: there is a plugin architecture in place that can load things from the cloud and that seems to be somewhat easy to work with.

CorelDRAW has a plugin architecture as well, but is it as simple to use? Affinity Designer doesn't have a plugin architecture (not even on the horizon) and then also the user base is somewhat allergic to subscription models. So I would assume that Adobe users are the guinea pigs. And I'm really wondering whether it will work out for Pantone's business model.

Which will depend upon whether the world thinks it needs 100 new spot colors a year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's user base was definitely the most desireable group for Pantone to target. Still, I'm sure Adobe application users are bound to get some heartburn over having to pay extra ($180 per year) for fully updated Pantone color palettes while some applications from rival developers apparently aren't getting affected.

I don't know if the plugin architecture for CorelDRAW is as "easy" to use as the one in Adobe's applications. There certainly isn't as many general purpose plugins available for CorelDRAW as there is for Adobe Illustrator. There is a decent number of industry-specific plugins, such as ones that control vinyl cutters/plotters or do embroidery work. I don't know if plugins could affect color swatch books in the application, although those palettes consist of XML files in folders that are easy to find. Affinity Designer doesn't appear to have a plugin architecture, although I did see an empty "plugins" sub folder. The application folders for Affinity Designer are not installed in a very logical organized way. And a bunch of items, including the application's main EXE file seems to be hidden. I haven't been able to find any of the color book files either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The application folders for Affinity Designer are not installed in a very logical organized way. And a bunch of items, including the application's main EXE file seems to be hidden. I haven't been able to find any of the color book files either.

By @Bobby Henderson

Probably they've done it on the PC like they do it on the Mac. I found those libraries in the Resources folder inside the Application package (which the executable is also a part of).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Windows-based PC it can sometimes be a frustrating mess to locate application folders and useful contents, like if you want to create a shortcut on your desktop of an application's executable file. I couldn't do that with version 2 of Affinity Designer. The only thing I could figure out how to do was pin a copy of the shortcut to the taskbar. Normally on a Windows-based PC much of an application's files are stored under the C:\Program Files folder. Adobe usually sticks to that rule. Other stuff gets installed in folders like Users\User Name\App Data\Roaming. I hunted through and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it was not about the money, they could have given their plug-in away for free, instead of raising the price. They would have collected even more user data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it was not about the money, they could have given their plug-in away for free, instead of raising the price. They would have collected even more user data.

By @Ton Frederiks

Just grab what you can get away with. If that doesn't work out, you can still lower the price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"their record profits"

Ah, which Fortune 500 company isn't screwing their users?

"To quote your executive vice president and CFO"

User to user forum, not many on here have Durn as their CFO.

The best solution is to help each other find work-arounds - like grabbing color books from previous version and copy over to the latest - it works right now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines