• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Path not closing with pen tool

New Here ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When drawing inside or when drawing a shape on top of an other shape's anchorpoints (shape underneath is locked) I'm unable to close the path with the pentool.
Instead of closing the shape I put 2 anchorpoints on top of each other. Also don't see the small circle indication appearing to close of the path. 
Only solution found so far is joing anchorpoints, but I don't feel like doing that much longer.
Issue is only occuring since a couple of days. I have no issues with standard pentool drawing
Please help! (Thanks!)

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you try to hide the underneath shape? could it help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to preserve a bezier curve?

If not just use Ctrl-J (I'm guessing Cmd-J on Mac?), if you have a lot of open paths you can draw around the whole object(s) with the knife tool and it will close them all - see http://vectorboom.com/load/tips/techniques/pathclothing/16-1-0-158 for a better explanation. There are scripts too (see end of web page above)

If you need to preserve the bezier curve(s) of the end points you'll need a plug-in like VectorScribe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm suddenly having this problem also, did you find a solution? it seems to only be happening if im using snap to point and working on a layer that is ontop of another unlocked layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @catherinepleased,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. I tried but couldn't replicate the issue at my end. Would you mind checking how it works under Outline preview? Also, have you tried resetting Illustrator preferences? This might help resolve the issue. However, if it doesn't, would it be possible for you to share a small recording of the issue along with a sample file? This would really help us understand the issue, and we can assist accordingly.

Looking forward to it.

Regards,

Anshul Saini 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul

Were you able to solve this pen tool issue? I've had the same problem (unable to close the path) for the past few days. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, reset preferences. I am using Adobe 2024.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @JodieChellew,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind trying out the suggestions shared by Anshul and checking if it helps? If not, kindly share more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator, system config (CPU/GPU/Memory), a sample file (https://adobe.ly/3Sft86F), and a screen recording of the problem (https://adobe.ly/3SdHDb0), so we can investigate this further.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for such a speedy reply, @Anubhav M ! Of course, now I've said something, it's working... I literally did nothing for this to change. If the issue pops up again, I'll be sure to do as you've asked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just got hit with this bug today too. So annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not able to replicate that issue. Sounds like some corruption.

You may need to delete the preferences file (Edit > Preferences > General, Reset Preferences). Or you may need to uninstall/reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines