• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PNG with transparent background, placing into Illustrator with white background.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm placing a PNG file with a transparent background into Illustrator and it's showing a white background in the file. I've managed to remove the background again by selecting the 'Opacity & Mask Define Knockout Shape' tick box in the Opacity settings (image below)

Screenshot 2020-04-26 at 18.15.43.png 

However, when I save the file as an PDF, the white boxes re-appear (image below)

Screenshot 2020-04-26 at 18.18.57.png

Can anyone please help to find a solution to this issue or know what the problem could be?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

I have found a fix for the saving issue, it has something to do with Adobe Acrobat and saving as a PDF - Acrobat 5 PDF 1.4..... As soon as I've reverted to a legacy format Acrobat 4 PDF 1.3 it's saving without a white bounding box! Weird but works!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show screenshots. Exactly what are you doing step by step?

A new thread might be a good idea, because this one is already a mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2023 Nov 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having same problem - have tried as PSD, as PNG, CMYK, RGB - the file is transparent in Illustrator but the image files have a white background when exported as EPS and placed in Indesign or opened in Photoshop. The only workaround is to export from Illustrator as PNG - but I need to have vector file so that doesn't solve the problem.

First image shows Illustrator file (clearly with transparent background); second image is the EPS file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An EPS cannot be transparent.

Try PDF instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem - workarounds tried RGB vs. CMYK color space, PNG vs. PSD file - no luck. Image placed into Illustrator has transparent background - when exported or saved as EPS the images have white background. All settings are checked for transparency. Only workaround is to export as PNG - but I need a vector file.

First screenshot shows AI file (transparent), second shows EPS (white background on the two flags).

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just place the Illustrator file in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By default (and i dont know why doesnt make any sense to me), illustrator as white background as colour. you must go to asset export panel > Format settings and then in background colour > Transparent

PedroHOliveira_0-1701346150142.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines