• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem moving objects in small increments

Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, I've seen this similar question asked before however none of the solutions seemed to help my problem. I am trying to move an object in a pretty small increment, I have the preferences keyboard increment set to its lowest number, but I still need to move my object 1/3 as far. I've also tried to manually move the object to the correct point with my mouse and it just snaps back to the space where it was sitting which was as close as I could get it with arrow keys. I've turned off snap to grid and snap to point, with no change in my result. I'm basically trying to align a smaller triangle over a section of a larger triangle to act as a shading area. Any solutions? Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 25, 2014 Oct 25, 2014

mblaney,

It does look like the Align to Pixel Grid ghost haunting you, as SRiegel suggested.

Or maybe Snap to Grid.

Are both unticked (the former when the black triangle is selected)?

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Unchecking 'Snap to Pixel' under the 'View' tab fixed this issue for me. Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot_1.png

Hope this will work. Thank you:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks! I needed that too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and it solved by turning off "Snap to Points" and "Snap to Pixel" from the document settings that we see when there's no object selected. (Properties Window)

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, екатерина

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The shortest solution I found is that somehow the file got currupted. No answers in the Preferences but, I opened a new file and tested drawing and moving and all was well. So I simply copied the elements from the file I was working on and pasted them in the new document (command F or B) and all was well with the world.  I've been using Ill. since it came out and that was a first for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found the solution! This problem just happened to me and it drove me crazy. Impossible to make intricate designs with this issue going on. 

1. Go to preferences-> general (or command+k) and notch your keyboard increment down to .0001.

2. Try to make a line on illy see if the problem is solved.

3. If it still only seems to move by .01 units, then go to view, and make sure you have snap to grid, snap to pixel, and snap to point, ALL turned off.

This is what solved the problem for me. I think what happened is I accidentally clicked the keyboard shortcut that turned on snap to grid, which is command+shift+apostraphe.

Hopefully, this will be the solution to your problem.

If not, I would recommend making sure your increment preferences are the way you want them to be, then quit the illy app, turn off your computer, and throw your computer at the wall. Because that's how I felt before I figured out the solution. Godspeed pals

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goin crazy here because I swear I do not have a "keyboard" choice in Preferences/General or anywhere that I can see.

KelliDB_0-1595133048112.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Preference file you show here is for Photoshop. Try the Illustrator Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already changed the preferences in Illustrator. Was trying to change them in Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks drove me nuts - this was just what I needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved this bug somehow by selecting view>show page tiling (or print tiling), after which the 'snap to grid' under 'perspective grid' started showing black again, previously was locked in grey (I couldn't select or diss elect it) now it seem to free up the bug of stuck keyboard increament and am able to do my work in minute detail again without frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 18.37.26.png

All these options off, worked for me! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one has always gotten me. its not just this program, but basically seems to happen on every drawing & editing beginninhbg program since the beginning of time( UI computers). that for some reason when moving a line or image  or transforming and object that it always tends to skip past the part where you want it to go thats either proprtional or perspective view. My guesd it has something to do with the math or something it doe correctbsoot. isnt like about that correct spot. So sometimes I will save the image and reopen and try again or save it ss a diffrent layer sometimes  works or flatten the immage and try again. Also sometimes save it in a different resolution somerimes works too.  I hate when that happens and slows you down . oh on cad prigrams just put in the exact coordinates does the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines