Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with scatter brush on curved paths

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2020-03-13 at 14.02.54.png

I made some different scatter brushes, but they all have the same problem. The bush doesn't follow the object paths, see image. No idea how to make them go along the blue line. Anyone any ideas?

Screenshot 2020-03-13 at 14.15.54.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of your brush settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, i added it to the original message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long shot: Is "GPU" turned on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That circle is very small, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also happens with large circles or shapes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried making a "pattern" brush instead of a scatter brush?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but that gives not the right options to create this kind of brush. It should just follow the line which it doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show the Appearance panel with the object selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure

Screenshot 2020-03-17 at 11.24.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember that we had this kind of problem in the forum. It's a size issue, but not the size of the circle (as I thought to remember). It'S the size of the brush element. When it's too small, this happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Appearance should not be the problem (I suspected a distort effect).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I caneasily reproduce it without an effect

Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-17 um 13.27.49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I can too 🙂

Make a very very tiny brush.

Tiny scatterbrush.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A tiny brush makes the problem somehow smaller, but it's still not a solution. It should become a circle instead of an x-agon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant to say (as Monika suggested) that a very tiny brush is causing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to be correct at first glance. However, the same issue persists. I'm attaching images that hopefully illustrate the issue. When I have a tiny brush element to begin with (a tiny dot measuring just under 1 pixel), I get the jagged edges on curves. This issue disappears, however, if the curve is large enough (see the 11-inch small-brush-circle below) OR until the stroke weight increases to something over 6pt. (at which width this specific brush no longer serves its intended purpose). So as you suggested, I tried making a larger brush element to begin with (a dot of almost half an inch diameter, about 32 pixels), and that seemed to solve the problem. But once I brought the point size of the brush down closer to the width I needed, the problem arises again (see the last image below). 

The scatter brush is really great, and — to be sure, there ARE workarounds and hacks to make this work — but unfortunately, unless this is somehow a bug that can be fixed, it seems the scatter brush does have some pretty hefty limitations.

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 10.50.44 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-24 at 10.50.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-24 at 10.50.34 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-24 at 10.50.31 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to be correct at first glance. However, the same issue persists. I'm attaching images that hopefully illustrate the issue. When I have a tiny brush element to begin with (a tiny dot measuring just under 1 pixel), I get the jagged edges on curves. This issue disappears, however, if the curve is large enough (see the 11-inch small-brush-circle below) OR until the stroke weight increases to something over 6pt. (at which width this specific brush no longer serves its intended purpose). So as you suggested, I tried making a larger brush element to begin with (a dot of almost half an inch diameter, about 32 pixels), and that seemed to solve the problem. But once I brought the point size of the brush down closer to the width I needed, the problem arises again (see the last image below). 

The scatter brush is really great, and — to be sure, there ARE workarounds and hacks to make this work — but unfortunately, unless this is somehow a bug that can be fixed, it seems the scatter brush does have some pretty hefty limitations.

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 10.50.44 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-24 at 10.50.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-24 at 10.50.34 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-24 at 10.50.31 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we see your Appearance Panel? It's as if you had a "Transform Effect" assigned to the stroke:
image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no effects in the appearance panel, BUT if i add the Zig Zag effect, and increase the number of ridges per segment, the problem is fixed.

Thank you very much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 14.12.23.pngScreenshot 2020-03-18 at 14.12.30.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the zigzag effect disappears at "outline stroke"... still no sulution..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expand appearance does the job though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm having a similar problem. Did you find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Literally the post above yours fixes the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines