• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems when copy-pasting text

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't copy and paste text from illustrator to any other program. When I select some text on AI and then copy it in the, for example, Whatsapp App or on my NotePad app on my MacBook the text copies as an image with white background. This didn't happen before the last update.

¿Any thoughts?

Thanks 🙂

TOPICS
Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

I just try this trick and it worked, copy text (select the text and hit cmd+c) from your illustrator and paste at any program using (cmd+shift+v).

I hope it help..

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you select and copy the text object or the text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I select the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the text tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. If you select text in Illustrator using the Text tool, copy and paste it into another program, it will paste as text with or without format depending on the application and its configuration. If you select text in Illustrator using the Select tool, copy and paste it into another non-adobe program, it will paste as a graphic and maybe you will get the background.

Try exporting the graphic or text as an image format like png (it supports transparency) and then, add the image to WhatsApp or another app.

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I understand what you are saying but sometimes I need to copy the text just as text (not an image). I have copied and pasted text from Illustrator to another non-Adobe apps in the past and there was no problem at all 😞
I never had this issue with previous updates of Illustrator and I really need a solution!
This does not happen when I copy and paste text from and to InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you not read what the guy said? He said he CANNOT PASTE TEXT FROM ILLUSTRATOR. It pastes as an image. You cannot paste text form Illustrator into Pages. It pastes AS AN IMAGE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you not read what the guy said? He said he CANNOT PASTE TEXT FROM ILLUSTRATOR. It pastes as an image. You cannot paste text form Illustrator into Pages. It pastes AS AN IMAGE

By @MattGrid

You might want to post a bug report to Apple. Good luck with getting it fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I have this problem sporadically, so I paste into a Text editing app first, then copy that and paste where I really want it to go, that usually works...

I've never been able to work out why it does and doesn't allow me to paste directly out of AI.

If it's a lot of text and/or different text frames, export as .txt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, it started in the past few days, I never had that before, and I usd to copy text from AI to WhatsApp every day.

I don't know if something changed in my AI version or the WhatsApp version or if it even has something to do with updating my mac, since it started to happened right after that.

Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you just updated the Mac and nothing else, then the Mac update is probably the reason for what you're experiencing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just try this trick and it worked, copy text (select the text and hit cmd+c) from your illustrator and paste at any program using (cmd+shift+v).

I hope it help..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG this worked Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work for me on my Mac, are you using a Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it, the mac needs the option key too!! Thanks for your comment, it helped me work it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine still pastes it as an image even with option (+command+shift+V) :'( This is so frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try going through the main menu bar? That's how I discovered it initially then used the shortcut. I use it to paste in to mail and it's called 'paste and match style' ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much worked for me on the Mac pasting Ai text into Ms Word. Really appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic!  So pleased it works for you I found it so frustrating until I figured out what I needed to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2023 Jun 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a resolve to this? This is the problem I'm having now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I have the same issue... Couldnt copy / paste from AI. I have tried to reinstall AI - doesnt help. I have completely removed all Adobe products and cleaned after them with their removal tool - nothing. That made me thinking..maybe its related to some Windows problem (like corrupted files after update) I made it to work after I did sfc /scannow from command line, then I was able to copy the text into the Wordpad, when i tried to paste the text into Word the loading wheel spins - its looking like its doing something but no. When you right click and go for paste there is possibility to "keep text only" then its working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comment, this method didn't work for me but without this, I wouldn't have found the option I need with is 'paste and match sytle' I'm using a Mac. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I GOT THIS TO WORK!! on my Mac, it's been bugging me so much!!

I copy text from illustrator and send to my clients in mail but i want it as actual editable text and not an image.

If i copy from illustrator the use 'option / comannd / shift / V together it work.

Or in the edit menu in mail 'paste and match style'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to cmd+c and then cmd+shift+v into other applications from illustrator, but now that doesn't seem to be working anymore and it's just pasting an image again... Has anyone had any other solutions for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on a mac? try 'option / comannd / shift / V'

Try through the edit menu too, it's sometimes 'paste without formatting'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines