• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with svg file, created in a PCB Design Tool

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community, I'm new here and svg is new for me too.

My colleagues create svg files with a PCB Design Tool (code is w3c conform). We want to use the svg images not only for our website, but also as basic for printing files (e.g. for an advertising). When opening the svg in Illustrator (CC 2018 and version before) it does not look the same - colors, strokes, ... get lost. Shapes and layers excist. Don't know what's the problem. Is it in the code? I had a deeper look in the forums and find out that Illustrator has a problem with most svgs out from other sources ...

SVG in a browser

Screenshot-svg in browser.JPG

SVG in Illustrator

Screenshot-svg opened with Illustrator.JPG

Is there a chance to open my svg in Illustrator without needing much time for extra work?

Looking forward to an expert that can help me!

Petra

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

You can try to print or save it as PDF from the browser and open the result in Illustator.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FlowEDA,

As per your query, SVG created by PCB tool looks fine on browser but not in Illustrator.

May I please know which PCB Design Tool you are using to create SVGs?

Would you mind sharing a sample file?

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

thanks for your reply. The tool is OrCAD / Allegro from Cadence Design Systems.

I tried to enclose an svg example with my first message, but svg is forbidden to enclose. So which format to use?

Thanks,

Petra

PS: In 30 minutes I will leave my office and will not be back before Monday. So sorry when not answering promptly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please upload the file to Dropbox or the like and share the link or send the link to Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Please find the svg at this link:

www.FlowCAD.de/Adobe-svg.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Srishti,

did you already had time to look at the file I shared at the link www.FlowCAD.de/Adobe-svg.zip?

Looking forward to your reply,

Petra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you just recolour it, seeing as this only going to be a graphic and not actually being printed as a PCB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried several things before asking the community. Recolour does not solve the problem and needs a vast of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FlowEDA,

As Monika said "SVG is not Illustrator's native file format. It interprets the code" there is a problem code itself while creating this file. I have tried opening this file in all the versions of Illustrator and Inkspace, it's not picking up the color.

Try saving it in some other format and check.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Srishti,

can you isolate where the problem code occurs?

Thank you,

Petra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Petra,

Unfortunately, we won't be able to isolate the problem with the code. You may try any third party services.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SVG is not Illustrator's native file format. It interprets the code.

So all kinds of issues might happen.

If you can, please provide the code to the developers in order to improve the import module for all of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of several reasons why this:

We want to use the svg images not only for our website, but also as basic for printing files (e.g. for an advertising).

. . . is not such a good idea. There are variables in the SVG format, which combined with its primary intent (screen render) make it a questionable choice as an exchange or source format for vector graphics. It would be better if the Illustrator-destined PCB-app files were exported or printed to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello John,

I do agree - the svg would be only basic, for printing I will save as .eps or another similar format. Printing files are always pdf 🙂

Thank you anyway!

Petra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try to print or save it as PDF from the browser and open the result in Illustator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ton,

best solution for the moment. Thank you for this tip!

Regards,

Petra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to hear that helped, Petra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines