Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rough Edges on JPEG with new "Export for Screens" - Illustrator 2020 heartbreak

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

First, I have to say a big thanks. The export speed for JPEGs using the "Export for Screens" option has increased from around 30 seconds to nearly instantaneous for me on AI 2020. This, along with background export, was one of my top requests and I am so grateful that it's been added.

Next, a story of heartbreak. For many of my exports using this method, I now get jagged edges, especially on round edges and especially at angles. Please see attached examples. The file "TestLayout_Overall_01.jpg" was exported using the new "Export for Screens" dialog and has jagged edges on the oval shape. These jagged edges are not present when exporting from File > Export As, but this latter method takes much longer to export, particularly for large artboards which I use frequently.

So, is there anything I can do to make the jagged edges go away? I am using "Art Optimized" in both places and exporting at 300dpi in both places. Is this an anti aliasing issue?

Help! I'm in love with the new export window, but the jagged edges are stabbing me in the heart.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Could you please share the actual Illustrator file from where you have exported this JPEG? Also, please confirm which JPEG option you are using?

export for screens.png

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing. The test project can be found in the .zip file at the link below, since I can't find any way to attach a file on reply.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/178DVhjV7IOXdqGsPziG6huguhWU0LDxS/view?usp=sharing

I'm using JPG 100 when exporting via "Export for Screens." I can't say I have tried it with the lower quality settings.

Also, I forgot to mention, this seems to only affect placed raster images. When you open the file, you will see that the black oval is a linked PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

Any update? Did the files I shared help show the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did check your files. There are a couple of observations which I want to share with you:

• The file from which you are exporting the JPEG is not a vector object, it's a placed PSD. 
  • Secondly, when you export file from export from "Export for Screens", the file is exported at 72 DPI. If you export the file from normal Export at 72 DPI it gives you the same result.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your response is pretty frustrating, to be honest. I don't think you are understanding my issue.

"The file from which you are exporting the JPEG is not a vector object, it's a placed PSD."

I never said it was a vector in the first place. In fact, I stated in a previous response that it was a placed raster image.

"Secondly, when you export file from export from "Export for Screens", the file is exported at 72 DPI."

72 DPI is the default for "Export for Screens," but as I stated in my original post, I changed the output DPI to 300. If you check the files "TestLayout_Overall_01.jpg" and "TestLayout_Overall_02.jpg" you will see that they are exactly the same resolution and DPI, but 01 has rough edges on the oval graphic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, looks like you're not going to respond to these concerns in this thread anymore.

Could you let me know where I should report this bug, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I see the same results as you in AI24. I get much better results in AI23, which suggests to me that this is a bug.

You should report your results here in as much detail as possible, with the source files:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug_A_Roberts,

Yes, this only happens in the latest AI24, CC 2020. AI23 and prior had a whole separate set of problems when exporting from Export for Screens, which I was happy to see gone in AI24:

1. All JPG exports of large artboards used to take a huge amount of time (2-3 minutes), but AI24 spits out a JPG in a few seconds.
  2. In AI23, I would randomly get a white line through placed raster graphics on my exports, which would go away if the graphic was roted a tenth of a degree.

These issues seem to have gone away on Export for Screens in AI24, but they've been replaced by the new jagged edges. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to replicate your problem, but my result is much better than what you get.

Can you check again the settings for JPEG 100?

My Illustrator version is 24.0.3, maybe there is a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton_Frederiks,

I'm using 24.0.3 for sure.

Below are my settings. Note that I have tried both with and without "Embed ICC Profile" checked, no visible difference.

Export for Screens resolution setings:

Export for Screens resolution settingsExport for Screens resolution settings

File > Export > Export As settings:

File > Export > Export As settingsFile > Export > Export As settings

Export for Screens JPG 100 settings:

Export for Screens JPG 100 settingsExport for Screens JPG 100 settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those settings look like mine.

You may try if resetting Preferences helps (be careful not to delete customs swatches, arrows, and so on).

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/how-to-reset-illustrator-preferences/td-p/10602277?page=1

If that does not help, report it at the uservoice page as Doug suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I am experiencing this on two separate Macs, so I doubt resetting prefs will help, but it's worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update: no luck with resetting preferences. Posted a bug here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/39583495-jagged-edges-o...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2024 Aug 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

40 million years later this is still an issue. I don't get the options for art optimizes or type optimized, etc. IS there anyway that doesn't want any of their stuff looking good? I just had to place an illustrator file into indesign to get a decent jpg. Adobe Illustrator export options have gotten better, now we just need them to f*cking work LMAO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2024 Aug 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @zorrillamonsoon,

I’m really sorry for the frustration this has caused. I understand how frustrating it can be to deal with a long-standing issue like this. 

Our team is aware of the situation and is actively working on it. If possible, could you please share some sample files with us? That would greatly assist in our investigation. We might also reach out to some of you for more details if needed.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Srishti Bali  This is how to replicate it in 28.6
Place an image and slightly rotate it.
Export for Screens > JPEG 100 Art Optimized.
Using Artboards works fine, Using Assets they are horribly jagged and the Art Optimized setting is ignored. Embedded as well as Linked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ton Frederiks ,

Thanks for sharing this.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Srishti Bali it may be useful to note that in the current beta and prerelease versions it also becomes jagged with the Artboards export (which is fine in the 28.6 version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines