• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save for Web not available in Illustrator CC 2015.3

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2016 Jun 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always counted on Save for Web in Illustrator. Now it appears to have been removed. What are our other options now?

Running a Macbook Pro with latest OS and 16GB RAM.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 22, 2016 Jun 22, 2016

S4W has now a new home inside the export menu. Please see the snapshot.

We have also added a new export route. Capture.PNGPlease try the new fast export feature and let us know how you feel about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save for Web in Illustrator CC 2015.3 is now located in: File->Export->Save for Web (Legacy)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S4W has now a new home inside the export menu. Please see the snapshot.

We have also added a new export route. Capture.PNGPlease try the new fast export feature and let us know how you feel about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dont like!

Export for screens is too clunky and a slow down because of the way you have to name the files etc - sloooowwww!

Save for web has also spoilt my work flow as it always reverts to gif as a file type instead of the previously used file type so now I have to select jpg every time i use it and I use it at least 100 times a day. .....and then I forget to do it and have to redo the job - arrgghhh!

Make export for screens a bit more user friendly in the naming convention and it would be good and revert the file type to how it was and all will be well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed Tropical Soul. The new way of saving files for the web is 10 steps backwards. Little control of the export settings. I too use it multiple times on a file(s) every day and resetting all the settings is a major drag on my work. Totally sucks Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2016 Jul 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

add me to the list of those who rely on 'save for web' and the headache of resetting all of the options settings each time you go to export.  i would at least like for it to remember the last settings i used, or allow to save a preset that can be saved as default per my profile.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 11, 2016 Jul 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agree. 'Save for Web' used to remember the last settings used. Since I always export PNG that was great. Now it reverts to GIF every time so I have to change back to PNG and check the settings (in case Convert to RGB has become un-checked in the dropdown menu) - this about triples my export time - thanks Adobe!

I can only presume that not remembering previous export settings is an oversight/mistake and not intentional...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2016 Jul 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't like it if it's not broken don't fix it its bad enough there are multi updated and changes to keep up with the times and the hackers and bootleggers but it was a simple button and locating that really took no thought to use now it's in another place.

if it's not broken don't fix it its bad enough there are multi updated and changes to keep up with the times and the hackers and bootleggers but it was a simple button and locating that really took no thought to use now it's in another place.

its bad enough there are multi-updates and changes to keep up with the times the hackers and bootleggers but it was a simple button and locating that really took no thought to use now it's in another place.

So many people use this program that if you are  going to change stuff up why not ask and if it's a good idea then do it, don't just spring stuff on folks and then ask if they like it or not!

If they say the hate it as I do another update yet again

I had to come here to find out just where the heck the Save to web button disappeared to not really happy about that  chances are they we me will not be happy respect the user opinion

chances are they, we, me will not be happy

respect the user opinion put it to  a vote and if most don't want it don't mess with it

I am sure there are way more things to tweak in this program then a new save to web step that really need help!

This is how I feel just saying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Adobe Illustrator update has destroyed my flow. The "Save for Web" revert to gif is a huge mistake. I loved it before, how it would understand the presets I made with a png or jpg and save them when saving out another artboard.

I then tried using "Save for Screens" and everyone of the artboard saveouts was given an extra pixel to the height and width. (IE. instead of being 640x920 it would save out 641x921). 

I've been using illustrator for 10 years and this update is already on the verge of affecting me the most...and NOT for the better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2016 Jul 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a web designer, but every few weeks I do have to make a web-ready jpg from my Illustrator file. I just needed to know that the jpg was no larger than 45kb. The Save for Web (now Legacy) told me that on each jpg setting immediately (lower left corner) before hitting Save. This Export for Screen doesn't let me know until after I hit Save. And then it doesn't seem to make a difference in the size of the generated jpg, whether I hit jpg80 ot jpg20. I don't need to collect assets, I just need to quickly make one web-ready little jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and Export for Screens doesn't seem to work correctly either.

When I drag a selected artwork into the Asset Export window it always creates an Asset the size of the artboard rather than just the size of the selected artwork.  Same with Export for Screens. When it exports I get an image file the size of the artboard with my artwork only a tiny part of it and the rest of the image transparent.

I can't find any way to export just the selected artwork at just the selected artwork size. Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stephen--k schrieb:

I can't find any way to export just the selected artwork at just the selected artwork size. Am I missing something?

Don't use it via the panel, but use the menu command. There you find the option to export artboards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was talking about exporting selected artwork, nothing to do with artboards.

btw. I know I can selected the artwork, resize artboard to selected artwork and Save for Web...

What I want is what Adobe describe on their website:  Select artwork, export just that artwork (using Save Selection or Assets Export or Save for Screens).

but none of these work correctly for me, they all include the artboard...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show your artwork and describe step by step.

And maybe you want to create your own thread in order to not irritate everyone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is about the change in Save As capabilities with the latest Ai update. That is what I am discussing. Why should that irritate anyone? So far the only person to mention irritation is you.

Who are you? Why are posting comments on behalf of everyone else? You posted here without even understanding/reading what has been written - as pointed out by your odd misunderstanding of one of my previous comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing that is annoying me about this update is the 'Save for Web' option constantly reverts to save as a GIF, it should stay the same as what you previously used like the old Illustrator. I am not too happy about this change as it has affected my flow and my actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2016 Jul 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried the new "Export for Screens" and it is inferior to the old "Save for Web" in many ways for me.  The new "Export for Screens" doesn't do what I need it to do.  For example, I want to fully preview the file, as it will look, before I save it (I don't want a thumbnail of the artboards), I'd like all the options on one screen, and I want to see the file size before I export.

I'm fine with having both Export for Screens and Save for Web, as both have separate uses, but do not remove or downgrade Save for Web, please! That would be a major step backward and will affect my daily workflow significantly (for the worse).

Finally, Save for Web is important and it seems not to work as well as it used to (as others have pointed out, it doesn't remember prior settings and defaults to GIF now... which slows me down as I have to change it every time I use it.).  Please improve on the next Illustrator iteration (hopefully very soon).  Thanks.

(Side note -- since Illustrator's workspace no longer reliably renders fonts correctly for me, I've often used the Save for Web view to quickly preview what a font will actually look like in the finished product.  So, Save for Web is valuable in many ways!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save for Web was a really easy, effective tool with piles of value added functionality, yet intuitive too. Save for Screens, in contrast, is slow, clunky and forces me to rename files after saving. Poor decision, poor execution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2016 Jul 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shame!
Please don't let product managers, that don't know jack about Illustrator, make such harmful changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2016 Jul 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a sad update, indeed. Nothing like changing a creative group's workflow without asking their opinion on the issue first. Or, at bare minimum, giving us a way to revert back to the "Save for Web" functionality that many of us rely on without having to learn a new 3+ finger kb shortcut and change from GIF to an actually popular format - or better yet, the format we used the last time.

Hmmm ... sounds like common sense to me, but then again, I don't get paid the big bucks to mess with a passionately used creative tool's user experience.

smh​ saveforweb​ userexperience​ uiuxfail​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list of people who find this update irritating and pointless. S4W was working fine, there was no need to adjust it. I don't recall many people having a problem with this function at all, prior to this software  update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please add me to the list of people who would like Save For Web to remember my previous settings like it used to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with those who would like to keep "Save for Web" and yes, it should again remember the personal settings (e.g. PNG). I finally understood the way to work with the "Export for screen" dialog, but excluding other artwork from the export by just hiding it (which worked fine in Save for Web) does not work. The preview shows the expected result but the export always renders also hidden layers/assets. Maybe this is a bug? If not it is misleading and (as stated before) of little help to just see a thumbnail of the current artboard state.

Placing assets on different artboards and using the artboard name as export file name is not feasable, especially in situations where you use an Illustrator file to keep all icons in a project collected (which can be dozens or hundrets).

Also, while I do appreciate the new scaling option (x1, x2 ... which comes in handy for DPI dependent work, e.g. iOS screens) often one may just as well add more detail to an illustration as more pixels become available and thus exporting in different scales is not relevant. So merging the two concepts (Save for web and Export for screen) would actually be good. At least export for screens needs an option to specify the filename independent of the artboard name(s) and preview should be as it has been in Save for web and match the result of the output..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

!

AND IT CRASHES!!!!!!

Really Adobe Come on This SUCKS big time!!!!  am having hrs of issues because of this from the time of my last post til now I have crashed 6 times, found odd things on my image that is not in the org pic and have no idea how to remove, slow not recalling setting the list can go on on on and when I tried to save using that new little ditty you dropped in "the new and improved button" to save to web I crashed yet again!

My pc has enough power,ram CPU space etc to fly like a jet  if I hit the right button due to the fact that Adobe illustrator the program I am in 23hrs of a 24hr day commands it and yet this happens due to your update just flip it back it was not perfect seems it never is oddly enough but it worked with less frustration and a want or desire to find a new design program not Adobe related or owned or tinkered with by Adobe tech folks or as I call them "THE POWERS THAT BE"

IT SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS wow I hate it 1Million % can you tell I hate it SUCKS!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AND IT CRASHES!!!!!!

Really Adobe Come on This SUCKS big time!!!!  am having hrs of issues because of this from the time of my last post til now I have crashed 6 times, found odd things on my image that is not in the org pic and have no idea how to remove, slow not recalling setting the list can go on on on and when I tried to save using that new little ditty you dropped in "the new and improved button" to save to web I crashed yet again!

My pc has enough power,ram CPU space etc to fly like a jet  if I hit the right button due to the fact that Adobe illustrator the program I am in 23hrs of a 24hr day commands it and yet this happens due to your update just flip it back it was not perfect seems it never is oddly enough but it worked with less frustration and a want or desire to find a new design program not Adobe related or owned or tinkered with by Adobe tech folks or as I call them "THE POWERS THAT BE"

IT SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS wow I hate it 1Million % can you tell I hate it SUCKS!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines