• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Space Bar is not working as a shortcut for Hand Tool in Illustrator and Photoshop CC

Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2016 Jul 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help!! Ever since the recent update, I am not able to use the Space Bar as a short cut for the Hand Tool in AI and PS.  I already tried the following advice from the Internet:

1. resetting the tool presets

2. resetting all tool preferences

3. closing down Chrome while using Adobe

4. only using 1 adobe program at a time

5. turning off space bar shortcuts for Apple spotlight under system preferences

6. restarting the computer and programs after each change

7. Updating programs and hardware: System is up to date for El Capitan and CC

8. Tried changing my keyboard shortcuts to spacebar (but it will not permit me to do so. An error message comes up saying I can only choose A-Z)

I am using a Mac El Capitan 10.11.6.

Did Adobe do away with this shortcut? It doesn't make any sense that they would remove this from their programs.

THANK YOU!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Your problem is with the Webroot software. Try excluding AI from the software controlled by Webroot.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

I had the same problem with a Mac running Ventura. It was Webroot, but all I had to do was to right click the Webroot icon in the top right toolbar and click "Pause secure keyboard entry". Webroot is still active, but now the space bar activates the hand tool in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Boot your Mac into Safe mode. Then run only Illustrator. Does it work then?

If so, some other software is interfering.

This could be anything. Some people have reported Apple Mail to cause it, but the browser Chrome and several Office applications are on the list as well. Screensharing software, antivirus, whatever ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

thank you so much! a few minutes after i posted someone told me to just put the computer in sleep mode and come back ant it worked, go figure...

but if it persists ill try your advice! thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Thanks, Larry, you are a lifesaver. Specifically, select "Pause Secure Keyboard Entry" from the Webroot icon in the top menubar to solve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2016 Jul 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The shortcut is still there, for both my Yosemite at work & El captain at home. Do the 2nd & 3rd option for resting your prefs.

Reset your preferences.

Cmd-Opt-Ctrl-Shift when restarting AI on a Mac or Alt-Crtl-Shift on a PC to reset to the defaults.

More thorough Reset your preferences.

Quit Illustrator

Finder >> Shift Command G

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 19 Settings/en_US*/Adobe Illustrator Prefs

rename Adobe Illustrator 19 to Adobe Illustrator 19 old

Reset your other preferences 

Quit Illustrator

Finder >> Shift Command G

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator 19/

rename Adobe Illustrator 19 to Adobe Illustrator 19 old

If that does not help let us know of any unique extensions you have installed, including wacom or any OS clipboard enhancers, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your quick response! I uninstalled CC and reinstalled it and followed the steps of renaming the folders (as you detailed in your message). Unfortunately, it did not work. I do have 2 wacom tablet softwares installed. One for Bamboo and one for Intuos Pro.  I'm assuming this could be the problem?

Can you help me with how to proceed for Illustrator and Photoshop?

Thank you so much! TT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the extensions, I'm not sure if you mean icons that appear in the upper right hand corner of my mac next to the magnifying glass?

Here is a screen shot. The icons are (from left to right): CC, Log Me In (a remote desktop software my work installed), Evernote (elephant) , Skype, and Webroot Security  (security software my work installed).The Wacom icon is the last icon before the Open Displays Icon.

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 7.33.28 PM.png

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem is with the Webroot software. Try excluding AI from the software controlled by Webroot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Larry, you are a genius!!! I googled Webroot Illustrator and stumbled upon this link:  Webroot suppressing keyboard shortcuts in InDesign CC

I unchecked the secure keyboard entry mode and voila! my space bar hand tool appeared again!  You have saved me a ton of frustration!

I appreciate your quick response!  All the best, T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2016 Jul 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem , it's sporadic. sometimes, i'm going along fine no problems, then all of a sudden, in the middle of a project, it wont work.

the only solution i have found is to quit illustrator, and i have to RESTART my computer, then relaunch illustrator, and the problem goes away- for a while. sometimes it wont happen for a few days, but it always happens eventually.

I do not use "webroot"

iMac using el cap and most recent illustrator cc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Furze,

If this goes away after restarting then that means some process gets enabled after startup that causes this. Often a web browser can open up a conflicting process. If you never had webroot on your computer this could be a different item conflicting with Illustrator. Lets us know if you ever installed webroot, or what other software you may have that affects your OS or Illustrator that could be interfering.

The mac does not have nearly as many virus/mallware/Trojan Horse/etc as windows, but they do exist. You can flush your cookies by booting safari, then Command Comma,  then go to privacy, click manage website data button , then remove all cookies.

Prior to flushing your cookies make sure you know all your usernames and passwords to websites, as this will remove that automatic entry of them.

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 9.09.19 AM.png

If you had slow web browsing this will delete some data mining trackers that get in through cookies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this advice is ill-advised -- in 20 years of using Macs, Adobe apps, and browsers, I've never seen web browser cookies conflict with a Mac app. Illustrator/Photoshop etc aren't affected by the browser in 99% of all situations. What this advice will do it cause a huge amount of work for innocent readers who are wiping out their active logins and needed cookies. Ouch. 

This bug of the spacebar shortcut for the Hand toolbar breaking is affecting me too, all of a sudden, today. It didn't happen last week, and I have not installed any OS updates. 

I never realized how critical the spacebar was to my Adobe app design workflow! Please, can some techie get to the bottom of this issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same as u

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I would request if you can post a new thread with more information about the issue, so that we can help you in the best way possible.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I would request if you can post a new thread with more information about the issue so that we can help you in the best way possible.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand this nonsense about "webfoot" affecting a simple shortcut. I don't use webfoot. It should work. Period. And we shouldn't have to resort to wasting time on forums for this!! I am simply fed up with these "issues" interrupting what I paid for- a working product, so I can work. Adobe has become too comfortable with the concept of releasing products without actually testing them. As a result, I end up wasting more time on forums and tech support than on actual work. We, the paying customer, should not be doing "quality control". That is the job of the manufacturer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you never installed webroot then you have the same problem but different cause. See my previous post as we ned to know what other software you have installed, as this should not happen with just the Adobe suite installed, and we need to troubleshoot what else this could be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Icon was up the top right for Webroot. I clicked pause and now it works!! Thanks people!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a paying customer and adobe heavy user, one has to agree with Jesus here.

The issue on this thread is a very old - 2016 at least - and I am sure, well-known issue specific to adobe software since as we all know other software relies on the same key combo to perform similar functionality and none "suffer" from this disease.
Like Jesus here, I have no webfoot installed. Quite frankly, flushing cookies from my browser is not a workaround but a load of additional work since all passwords and basic browser functionality will have to be rebuilt.

Similar to copying from Illustrator and pasting into Indesign, it is time adobe fixes this. And if you want you can turn it into a marketing gimmick once you're done.

As of this date, the only acceptable but rather annoying fix that I know of, for this is to flush the cache by restarting your computer. It is advisable to quit all software before shutting down the computer. 

Have I mentioned that I'm a paying customer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are in fact hooked up to WebRoot and the icon is installed in your top NAV, click on the icon and check "Pause Secure Keyboard Entry." This will allow you to toggle back and forth with your spacebar again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had the same issue occurring simultaneously in Illustrator on three Macs in our office, all started about the same time. Turns out our IT guy had installed Webroot on all three, and turning it off solved the problem. Webroot suppressing keyboard shortcuts in InDesign CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the Solution that worked:: Hi everyone who doesn't find answer yet for this problem. I had face the same problem just find the solution. I has to do nothing with the Adobe. It is the Windows 10 touch pad probem(not actually a problem). I am using my HP Laptop faced the problem and find the solution. This problem happens not only in Adobe softwares. To check go to your desktop and click space bar thentry move the cursor using touch pad it didn't work there too. I have Synaptics Touch pad. This for Windows 10 users Start>Settings(icon)>Devices>Touchpad>Additional Settings  on Device Setting tab click Setting Button then click PalmCheck-Enhanced(double tab it) keep the slider to OFF position then Apply. Problem Solved. I hope this works for Windows 8 or 7 users too but these options were in different place. MAC users also try rephrasing your question in the Google search as "Cursor not moving by clicking spacebar" something like this and dont mention Adobe or any software specific.... Thanks Happy Creating!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Larry. It isn't Webroot in my case, but your answer made me think about recently installed software. The culprit was Keybase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also try the old trick - disable MAC SPOTLIGHT TOOL in apple menu - system prefs. Its the keyboard shortcut på search with spotlight. Its been doing funny things for many years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick fix for this is to disable the spotlight settings on your mac - seems to cause some interference! 

Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 08.47.43.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try pressing spacebar and alt button together while dragging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Take a look at the following article to move designs between Photoshop and Illustrator for a different workflow that suits your design objectives: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/move-designs-between-photoshop-illustrator.html

Also, if you are looking to work with Illustrator design in Photoshop? See this: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/use-illustrator-artwork-in-photoshop.html

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines