• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spacebar not working as quick hand tool on MAC – Adobe Illustrator

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest Illustator and Photoshop version and in both of them the spacebar ain't working as quick hand tool on Mac.

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 8 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

What does happen when you use the spacebar? What is most likely happening is that some other program is using the spacebar as a shortcut and superceding Illustrator and Photoshop. Try rebooting your computer and only opening Illustrator or Photoshop and see if the shortcut now works. Then you can try launching other programs until you find out which one is causing the conflict. You may also want to try simply typing an "H" (with no text active) whenever you want to quickly get the hand tool in e

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Hi Bill,

You are right in my situation it was MS Word and MS Excel. I closed them both and could use space bar in the Adobe Illustrator rightaway.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Regards,

Arek

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Hello, in my case, it was because I had 'Enable Full Keyboard Access' on my 'Settings' -> 'Accessibility' -> 'Keyboard 'ticked. Once I unticked that, I could use the spacebar as the quickhand tool again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

I had the same problem and started to close my programs. The space bar "thief" was the native Mail app in MacOs. Closed it and it works like a charm 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Glad I found this post. Its years later and I just ran into this issue for the first time even in my 20+ years of using Adobe products. Turns out it was my open terminal that was stealing the spacebar function. Once I closed, it was working again again in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Go to the apple in the menu bar. 

Put the computer to sleep.

Wake it back up and it should work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

I fixed this by turning off all accessibility (in system Prefs) and quiting Mail.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

The problem was fixed when I closed Safari.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Hi @JonVernon-DIRECTV,

I apologize for the ongoing frustration you're experiencing with this issue. This generally happens when a third-party app or process is interfering with the system keyboard. To further assist you, I kindly request that you provide the following details:

• Can you please confirm the specific version of Adobe Illustrator and the macOS you are using?
  • Have you tried starting your Mac in Safe Mode and checking if the issue persists? Safe Mode performs a series of checks and d

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 148 Replies 148
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having Safari open also is disabling the Spacebar/Hand also for both Illustrator and Indesign 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using Chrome when also using Illustrator, the other times it worked again when I restarted the computer but not today.

I tried all the method. Chrome extensions, keyboard preferences services, etc.. but nothing works. Surprisingly, I checked all the tab and I ve read that people got problem with Outlook app but I only got a Chrome tab that opened Outlook mail. I closed and the hand tool and zoom worked again. 

Try this also if you run into this matter again! THANKS everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all of these suggestions and none of it works for me. I still can't use my spacebar shortcut on adobe programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all of these suggestions and none of it works for me. I still can't use my spacebar shortcut on adobe programs.

By @Jason31475948sgn7

Which suggestions?

THere is most probably some third party app interfering - so did you shut them all down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @JonVernon-DIRECTV,

I understand that you've tried various suggestions, but the spacebar shortcut still isn't working for you in Adobe programs. To further diagnose this issue, I recommend trying the following:

• Safe Mode: Boot your system into Safe Mode  (MacWindows) and try launching Illustrator. Safe Mode loads only essential system processes, so if the spacebar shortcut works here in Illustrator, it could indicate that some third-party application or process is interfering with Illustrator. Try opening other apps that you typically use to identify any potential conflicts.

• Reboot: Sometimes, certain processes or applications can temporarily interfere with keyboard shortcuts. A simple reboot of your system might resolve the issue.

• Reset Preferences: If the problem persists, you can try resetting Adobe Illustrator's preferences. To do this, hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Option + Shift (Mac) while launching Illustrator. You'll be prompted to confirm the reset.

Please try these steps and let me know if any of them help resolve the spacebar shortcut issue.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Anshul_Saini ... thanks for your reply.

I've tried all of those solutions in the past and none of them resolve the issue.  Luckily, I've been able to narrow it down and have discovered that my VPN connection for work is what's causing the issue.  Unfortunately, I can't figure out WHY that's happening.  All I know is if I'm on VPN, the spacebar shortcut for the hand tool doesn't work... if I'm NOT on VPN, it works fine.

Even funnier is the fact that this applies to the latest versions of Photoshop and Illustrator... but not XD.  All I know is I have to disconnect from VPN if I'm going to be working in PS for longer than 2 minutes because I use that shortcut so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing this information, @JonVernon-DIRECTV. It's indeed strange that your VPN connection seems to be causing this issue. The fact that it affects Photoshop and Illustrator but not XD is puzzling. It's possible that the VPN is conflicting with specific keyboard shortcuts or system interactions in these applications. While we may not have a direct solution, your insight is valuable for troubleshooting. If possible, you might want to reach out to your IT department or VPN service provider to see if they have any insights or settings that could be adjusted to resolve this peculiar issue. In the meantime, disconnecting from the VPN while working in Photoshop is a reasonable workaround. Also, would you mind confirming the VPN app/ service you are using?

Please feel free to reach out if you have any more questions or run into other issues.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's weird that this has been a known issue for years yet Adobe has never fixed it.

Meanwhile I can use the space bar on Figma to do the same thing just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dmnyc  schrieb:

It's weird that this has been a known issue for years yet Adobe has never fixed it.

Just turn off whatever is intercepting the keystrokes and complain to that manufacturer for programming so lazy that it disturbs other applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Monika Gause Thank you but, why do you assume mosty of us haven't tried that yet. We come here as a last resport after we have no results from diagnosis and trouble shooting. What would be nice is if there was an actual answer for this rather than people being negative. If you aren't experencing this distuptive issue then you won't understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kylep39142506  schrieb:

@Monika Gause Thank you but, why do you assume mosty of us haven't tried that yet. We come here as a last resport after we have no results from diagnosis and trouble shooting. What would be nice is if there was an actual answer for this rather than people being negative. If you aren't experencing this distuptive issue then you won't understand.

There is not *the* one answer. There is a different answer for everyone.

If you can't find it on your own try and contact Customer Care. https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ful Keyboard Access has to be off. They are so smart with the new implementations...

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 11.43.25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ adobe.. any news?/ extreamly frustrating.. I've updated PS and it happens just as much..

I've tried the MS close trick but nope.. 

anyone figure this out?? I haven't ran into this issue in Ai but hourly in PS..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restarting whenever this happens has been my only reliable fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried putting your computer to sleep? After 2+ years of trying to figure this out outting it to sleep is the only thing that was worked work me.  Saves way more time than the dredded restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THere are a couple of apps known for causing this, such as:

• WebRoot
  • Apple Terminal
  • Word, Excel, Powerpoint
  • »Enable Full Keyboard« in Settings > Accessibility > Keyboard on Mac OS
  • Apple Mail, Outlook
  • Spacebar is used as a shortcut by the system
  • Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari
  • Wacom Desktop Center, Wacom settings
  • Windows Touch Pad problem
  • LastPass, Bitwarden (password managers)
  • The VPN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 2+ years of this issue, someone recommended putting the computer to sleep. It worked for me and it doesn't require a restart! I hope it works for you too!

How to:

Go to the apple in the menu bar. 

Put the computer to sleep.

Wake it back up and it should work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In mt case it was Webroot being the spacebar thief.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you mean by "webroot" ?

Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is an app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a virus scanning app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Webroot running when I force quit it the hand tool comes back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you have to turn on manually the "pause secure entry" each restart 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow. closing notes did it for me ! thank you for the s-tier advice 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines