Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SVG is being resized when saved from Illustrator CC

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2014 Feb 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All!

I am encountering an issue that has arose since the latest update for Illustrator CC (64-bit). When I come to save a file as an SVG (from my original AI file) the artboard's proportions change, and the size of the SVG changes. I am using Windows 7.

Any suggestions as to what's going wrong would be welcome!

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

the incorrect artboard size issue for some files would go away on disabling "Responsive" option in the SVG options dialog

Screen Shot 2014-01-16 at 5.27.49 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

I have been making Cricut SVGs and have had the same issue. But I just tried grouping everything together and that seems to hold everything in place somehow and keep the size right. 

For settings I have 

16257688227628896854532008919085.jpg

Sorry if the camera is blurry. 

I think the main thing is the grouping though.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe Community

Can anybody help me with this issue, or confirm whether or not they are having the same issue?

Thanks

Zac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still struggling with this... So far I have found that saving a previously saved .ai file as an .svg is causing those resize problems whereas creating a file from scratch and only saving it as a .svg file doesn't have the same issues. See if this works for you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really weird! So, sometimes it appears that an SVG that is opened and has a resized artboard has adopted the previously created file's artboard size... Truly strange behavior! Would love to hear from other folks too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rcbmoose

Yes, I too am saving out from an original AI file.

I've located the issue within the SVG code.

The file should be defaulted to 30x30px, but when the SVG is opened, the image fills the parent space. Here's the SVG code for the problem file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<!-- Generator: Adobe Illustrator 17.1.0, SVG Export Plug-In . SVG Version: 6.00 Build 0)  -->

<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">

<svg version="1.1" id="Main_Window" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" x="0px" y="0px" viewBox="0 0 30 30" enable-background="new 0 0 30 30" xml:space="preserve">

<rect fill-rule="evenodd" clip-rule="evenodd" fill="#E8E8E8" width="30" height="30"/>

<path id="tst_x5F_eml_x5F_scss_x5F_win" fill-rule="evenodd" clip-rule="evenodd" fill="#3D3D3D" d="M26,9.625L15.261,20.375l0,0    l-2.759,2.762l-2.759-2.762l0,0L4,14.627l2.759-2.762l5.742,5.748L23.241,6.864L26,9.625z"/>

</svg>

I've found a temporary work around. Here's the file sized correcly:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<!-- Generator: Adobe Illustrator 17.1.0, SVG Export Plug-In . SVG Version: 6.00 Build 0)  -->

<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">

<svg version="1.1" id="Main_Window" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" x="0px" y="0px" width="30" height="30" viewBox="0 0 30 30" enable-background="new 0 0 30 30" xml:space="preserve">

<rect fill-rule="evenodd" clip-rule="evenodd" fill="#E8E8E8" width="30" height="30"/>

<path id="tst_x5F_eml_x5F_scss_x5F_win" fill-rule="evenodd" clip-rule="evenodd" fill="#3D3D3D" d="M26,9.625L15.261,20.375l0,0    l-2.759,2.762l-2.759-2.762l0,0L4,14.627l2.759-2.762l5.742,5.748L23.241,6.864L26,9.625z"/>

</svg>

The width and height values are missing from the first svg tag (highlighted in code above). You can save your SVG file, and then add these values into the tag yourself via a text editor (i.e. Notepad if you're using windows, or the equivalent on MAC)

This works, but it's not right that we have to do this. This wasn't nessessary before the latest update.

Hope this helps.

Zac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess that if the height and width values are missing from this tag, then Illustrator (or whatever software you open the SVG file in) simply fits the SVG image into whatever the default canvas space is. In the case of a browser, it simply fills the parent space.

I've submitted a bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the incorrect artboard size issue for some files would go away on disabling "Responsive" option in the SVG options dialog

Screen Shot 2014-01-16 at 5.27.49 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha....great! Thanks Rama, I was hoping it was something as obvious as this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2014 May 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for that hint. I lost a few hours with that unlucky feature. Finally went back to CS5 to being able to save some SVG files without losing the size information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2014 Jul 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem in CS4, but there is no Responsive check box in that version. Is there somewhere else I fix this in CS4? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2014 Dec 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried this but it didn't solve my issue. It changes the artboard position slightly, but  still not into the correct one.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2015 Jan 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we uncheck "Responsive" here to correct the sizing of the artboard when we revisit via illustrator, will it make it unresponsive elsewhere -- as in when we actually apply it in our websites / code ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2015 Jan 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a problem with saving 2 files: an SVG to put on the web and an AI for further editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer from rama is NOT working for the current release. This seems to be a bug. I got stuck on this for HOURS! I ended downloading Illustrator CS6 and its working there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2015 Jun 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous,

Using the illustrator CC 2014, on mac osx and getting the same weirdness. Also took me hours to figure out that illustrator was causeing this problem.

I set the artboard up, save the file, open it up again and the artboard has doubled in size. And of course it is causing havoc when I try to use these svg files in a snap svg experiment.

So instead of updating the camera raw plugin maybe fix this mayor bug (sorry for being cynical, but I pay enough for using professional software for vector generation and it doesnt even seem to be able to generate an open format vector format which is by now means new).

Also,

I tried the workaround unchecking the responsive option.

Saved a new file and opened it in illustrator again.

All the artwork is still moved down and halfway off the actual artboard (the artboard now does retain the actual size it was set to).

Which means the only actual work around is to edit all of the values by hand in a text editor.

Some more digging revealed that for some reason illiustrator is writing in the svg header:

viewBox="0 160 792 292" enable-background="new 0 160 792 292" (enable-background is deprecated as far as I know)

viewBox is defined as x y width height value (but unit wise, lets not get into that here).

Subsequently all the poly, or line y values start at 160 or more. This does not make sense and I guess is throwing any other library or program reading these values, including illustrator itself). So for example an element in the file will read:

<polyline fill="#EDF0F5" points="792,161.1 0,161.1 0,450.9 792,450.9 792,161.1          "/>

Where in the file before I saved it, there was a rectangle located 1 pixel (or I guess 1.1px) located below the start of the artboard (y = 0).

Also would be nice if these edits of my reply would show up in the thread right away ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @rama ! Was driving me nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AAAH! I was struggling too much with this, thank you so so so much for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Rama_ai

you have saved my life - We have been battling with this for the past week - and i came across this thread. I feel like I need to make a video and explain this as so many people have this issue and was so easily fixed!

I clicked off "Responsive" and "Minify" then imported my SVG file in to K40 Whisperer as /96 and VOILA! No more Inkscape... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact same problem, on a Mac running 10.9.1. Both the artboard and SVG art sizes just seem to be changing to something seemingly arbitrary. Eg. attempting to make a 14px x 29px SVG is resulting in a 43.449px x 90.003px file. Toying with the save options but haven't landed on a solution yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2015 Jan 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same issue:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/7093913#7093913

And no, the Responsive checkbox is not a solution. Not even a workaround.

Regards

m.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2015 Feb 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing that same issue. Very frustrating.. And I'll need to buy another vector editor for a project.. when I own (supposedly) the best (and most expensive) product already 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2015 Jan 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I have the very same problem and it it driving me crazy. My source file in illustrator is 15 cm wide. I export this to SVG, without the responsive checkbow, the output size is about 12 cm wide.

Anyone has a solution for this ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you measure the sizes?

Illustrator always assumes that your screen resolution is 72 ppi. Most screens nowadays have different resolutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, when I open the file in inkscape it is not anymore 15 cm, but only 13. Also when I'm using it in my document, it is clearly not the correct size. Perhaps I'm overlooking something.

Tried it with a very simple rectangle. 15 cm wide in Illustrator, save as SVG, ends up being 12 cm in inkscape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cm is not a relevant unit in screen design.

Illustrator is hard wired at 72 ppi

Inkscape is hard wired at 90 ppi

So there is your reason.

Frequently asked questions - Inkscape Wiki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines