• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text on path/curve is disappearing after reopening the file in Illustrator v27.7

Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a bug/issue on curviligne Text / text on path or curve.

After designing and saving the Illustrator file, everything seems normal.

Once I reopen the Illustrator file, then the text that has been placed on a curve (Type on a Path) disappears.

This has happened in different working files of mine.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 25, 2024 Jul 25, 2024

Anubhav,

I was actually given the go ahead to get the latest version (28.6) installed on my workstation today, and to my surprise, my quick initial test was successful. Hoping others are able to do the same, I will be back to report my experience after a more thorough test drive... Thanks, so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Community Expert , Jul 11, 2024 Jul 11, 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 24, 2024 Jul 24, 2024

Hello everyone,

Our team has tried addressing this problem in Illustrator 28.6. Would you mind updating to the latest version of Illustrator (https://adobe.ly/4dhoeiu) and sharing your observations?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 113 Replies 113
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rafael356326963ksc  schrieb:

I Have the same problem! When this will be fixed? 

In which version are you experiencing it? 27 is old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still have this same issue with Illustrator 28.4.1. Text on curved/circular path dissapears without reason. Sometimes when editing other objects or exporting to PDF. Even with layer locked. To fix, select all, nudge up 1, text reappears, then nudge back down 1 to its original location and save. Been an issue for a couple of years now. Hopefully Adobe will address this soon. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @matte.finish,

I'm sorry to hear about the ongoing issue you're experiencing with Illustrator. We appreciate you reaching out. While we haven't been able to replicate this problem on our end, we're keen to help you resolve it.

To assist you further, could you please share the problematic Illustrator file with us? Additionally, if you could provide a screen recording demonstrating the issue, it would greatly help us in understanding the problem and finding a solution.

Thank you for your cooperation, and we look forward to resolving this issue for you.

Best,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2024 May 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Anshul- I'm unfortunately not able to share due to confidentiality agreements. It's happening in multiple files- I hesitate to say all, but it seems so. I'll see if I can create a file to replicate. Thanks again,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered the same issue: the text on a curved path disappears. This occurs randomly, whether I zoom in and then zoom out, select the text, export the file to PDF, or print the document.

The temporary solution I've found while waiting for the bug to be fixed is to move all the items one pixel to the left and right, and then all the texts appear again. After that, I can print.

However, I'm eager to know if there is a permanent solution, as it is very frustrating to do this every time.

I am using version 28.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Nice hack. Hopefullt there will be a fix soon. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also encountering this issue where text on a line randomly disappears. I make maps with many labels for places and roads and this issue has been plaguing my work flow for a long time. I have recorded the problem and included the AI file in the Google Drive Link below, along with system information. I am using Illustrator v 28.5, and its still a problem. 

As you will see in the screen recording, after saving the AI file and re-opening, the road labels disappear even though the opacity is still at 100% and the fill color hasn't changed. The text re-appears after clicking and dragging the text around. This happens randomly and leads to me having to extensively review my documents before exporting so that I don't miss any text in my exported files. Adobe please fix this.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1auH0dzkIpBgDHbF82ChpSbGZikbX5mIs?usp=drive_link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. curved text dissapearing when i go to export as png. Have to reopen the file, click each text, reapply color and save again and then it will save.. extremely frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heres a quicker work around until they fix this bug. Just select all on the artboard and press the right arrow key to push everything 1px to the right and then press the left arrow key to put it back 1px. This will make all of your text reappear without having to click each text individually. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, doing this does work, but when the file displays correctly one time and then not another, remembering to do this on every file that 'might just have some rotated text somewhere in it' is just a total faff! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah its super annoying. This should have been fixed soon after the OP started this thread, and its been months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know somethings not getting addressed when there 3 pages of comment.

So weird that Ai has had 2 updates since these posts and still no fix.

Folks have given a lot of time providing screenshots and captures.

Enough to give the employee here enough insight to pass on to developers. It's really strange.

I may have written aboiut it here before, but the other phenomenon is that of the text on the path exploading out of the path and whole artboard(s). This is a nice hack someone found, it's just unfortunate that it is the only solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2024 Jun 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. I have managed to create a screengrab showing this 'exploded' text and also experience the 'missing' text – both of which are very difficult to re-create time and time again – sometimes the file behaves and other times not.
In the spirit of troubleshooting (and to save my sanity and time!) I have:

• Re-saved the existing file (presuming the file was created in an older version).

• Copy and pasted into new document.

• Checked fonts were all Opentype and even part of the Creative Cloud so as to discount rogue fonts misbehaving.

• Tried to create a brand new file with text on path.

But ultimately all of these work fine for a while and then seem to break. Re-opening them, they appear correctly, which makes it almost impossible to send the 'corrupt' file to Adobe as, no doubt they wouldn't be able to re-create the fault!

When I have contacted Adobe Support on this thread they are now asking what version of Illustrator the file was ORIGINALLY created in! How am I supposed to keep track of that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2024 Jun 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, never thought about a file with the issue in it could then be seen as a corrupt one after the phenomenon occurs. Regardless of what version the file was created in, I believe some here are experiencing the issue from 2023 onward. Also, again, users here have tactfully given a lot to Adobe as well as their time in doing so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2024 Jun 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just experienced the same thing happening with my files. I'm working with the latest version of Illustrator, v28.5, and an updated MacOS. I changed everything to white and the selected undo, and the text reappeared. Very frustrating, this is basic, and it's been an issue for some time now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to hear that many of you are still experiencing this issue with text disappearing in Illustrator. We understand how frustrating this can be, especially when it affects your workflow.

To help us investigate and resolve this problem, we would like to schedule a debug session with those affected and able to reproduce the issue on demand. If you are experiencing this issue and are willing to have a debug session with us, please send me a private message with the following details:

• Your Adobe ID
  • Country & Timezone
  • Phone number (with country code)
  • Preferred dates and times for a session (Monday to Friday)

To send a private message, click my profile picture and use the "Send a message" button.

Additionally, if possible, please try the following steps:

1. Create a new admin user account on your computer. (Mac/ Windows)
  2. Install a fresh copy of Illustrator under this new account.
  3. Check if the issue is reproducible in a new file created in this environment.

The user account or specific files may be corrupted, which might be causing this issue. We haven't been able to reproduce it on our end.

Thank you for your cooperation, and we look forward to resolving this issue for you.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2024 Jun 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I design medals so I am experiencing this a lot!   Please check the attached file.  Does this have anything to do with the text on a curved path disappearing or exploding? What is that hidden circle to the right of the medal?  I have never seen that before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 02, 2024 Jul 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with text on a curved path disappearing or exploding. I understand how frustrating this can be, especially when you're working on intricate designs like medals.

The hidden circle you mentioned could potentially be related to the problem, but it's hard to determine without seeing the file. If possible, please share the file with us so we can investigate further.

We appreciate your patience and hope to resolve this issue for you soon.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2024 Jul 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anshul,

In a post above, I uploaded a video showing the issue and my affected AI file. Has anyone on the Adobe team been able to access the Drive folder using the link? Please confirm. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates?? This is hindering our team's workflow and removing vital info from our work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there.
It looks like the Adobe employee pinned an attempt at trying to resolve this at the beginning of this thread.

Unless you've subscribed to this topic or watching it many probably didn't get the email that this happened.

They want to schedule a group or one on one debug session? I guess the developers aren't able to reproduce the problem on their end. Pretty crazy but maybe getting in touch with the employee at the beginning of this thread will help. 
I haven't had the time to contribute in this way yet.

I'm unfortunately waiting on a fix as you and everybody else here are.

I can't imagine what some shops, manufactures, vendors, etc. are going through when they have to do so many circular designs for embroidery or printing.

Good luck. Let us know if you hear anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2024 Jul 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try reaching out directly to them, was hoping they'd have something by now. If I get the ok from my manager I'll volunteer to show them where the issue happens.. we are one of the major manufacturers losing things off packaging that are legally required to be on them, very frustrating 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indeed I can report exactly the same issues on our end. we had used AI2022 for a very long time now - mainly due to the postscript Type one fonts topic. Finally we staretd using AI24 (28.5) by this ween monday and immediatelly we struggeled from minute 1 with this issue.

We are porducing packaging for large brands which get printed in the thouthands and millions. I'm getting creazy if I think about missing text on a final printed packaging (independend of legal or marketing text). We are speaking here easily about 10thousands of dollars/euros of damage which this can cause. 

After 4 days of using - we are already thinking of downgrading back to AI2022, as this is simply to risky. I need to highlight again - this is business critical - not a small usibility bug...

We offer our full support on this, whatever is need to get this fixed asap, we do.

@Anshul_Saini we are located in germany - time zone CEST - I will make it possible to connect with you / Adobe when ever needed.
Attached also a video - the AI file was opened and there is no text. As soon as you do some actions with the text element (move, click with the text tool into the text, cut/paste) the text again appears. The issue is - the text also randomly dissapears again when saving the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines