• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turn expanded strokes back into simple editable strokes?

Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased a 30 piece clip art set. All the strokes are expanded. Yikes!

Is there a way to turn them into simple editable strokes?

This way I can resize them any way I want but adjust the strokes so all art looks consistent.

MANY tthanks in advance!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

You could use Offset path to adjust line thickness.

Clipart companies usually demand that all open paths are outlined and their artists often also outline close paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed - I think the habit is quite outdated. And I also think anyone using this art in Illustrator will see the woopsie of not setting the strokes to scale will slap their forehead and go fix the settings. BTW - isn't scaling the default? I think so many people who aren't designers are now working with Canva and other similar programs that they'll be fine with editable strokes. BTW, my name is Fredericks. Such similar names! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it is the default, but as with so many things in Illustrator, it stays that way when changed.

Fredericks is the wealthy part of the family 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most vector "draw-type" graphics applications will usually interpret a uniform line stroke properly. The caps on the end of the stroke are usually treated in a similar manner as well. After that? Consistency goes right out the window. Any settings on automatic scaling may not be preserved. One or more vector graphics applications allow a stroke to be placed behind the fill. One vector application's version of arrow heads may not import correctly into a rival vector application.

And then there's all the unique effects Adobe Illustrator can apply to line strokes. Art brushes and pattern brushes created in Illustrator do not export well at all. Those effects must be expanded first. Gradients on line strokes and free form gradients are both very unique to Illustrator. I'm not sure how someone could get those effects to translate to rival applications without rasterizing the objects. Stock image/art vendors may weigh in on the use of such effects in artwork they might agree to buy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, Bobby.

My considerations leading to the double delivery suggestion were limited to the editability of shapes created as simple stroked paths, recognizable as such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just mentioned all the reasons for 2 versions, the native and the dumbed down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most vector "draw-type" graphics applications will usually interpret a uniform line stroke properly. The caps on the end of the stroke are usually treated in a similar manner as well. After that? Consistency goes right out the window. Any settings on automatic scaling may not be preserved. One or more vector graphics applications allow a stroke to be placed behind the fill. One vector application's version of arrow heads may not import correctly into a rival vector application.

And then there's all the unique effects Adobe Illustrator can apply to line strokes. Art brushes and pattern brushes created in Illustrator do not export well at all. Those effects must be expanded first. Gradients on line strokes and free form gradients are both very unique to Illustrator. I'm not sure how someone could get those effects to translate to rival applications without rasterizing the objects. Stock image/art vendors may weigh in on the use of such effects in artwork they might agree to buy.

By @Bobby Henderson

All the special Illustrator things are being taken care of by the EPS. Clipart companies demand the EPS file format. There is nothing live in the EPS. Only Illustrator will open that embedded AI file that contains the brushes and stuff. All the other apps will open the EPS part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines