• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

V26 AI Update - Unable to open temporary output file (Barcode Producer)

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have recently updated my Adobe software to the latest versions, including Illustrator to version 26.0.1 and I have just started experiencing an error trying to open barcode files directly from Barcode Producer.

The third party program I am using is Barcode Producer from Superiorware LLC, and it is used to create a range of retail barcodes for packaging design. After updating my Illustrator, I was then unable to directly open the barcode files by clicking their AI button. The error message I receive reads "Unable to open temporary output file. Please try saving the barcode and opening it in the desired program." (see screenshot attached).

I initially thought that I may need to update the Barcode Producer software to suit the latest AI update, but after updating this, I still receive the same error. I am able to save the file as an EPS file and then open with AI from my desktop but for some reason it is not working directly from a temporary file.
The Barcode software also allows me to open directly in Photoshop and Paint, both of which are working correctly. So I believe there is a bug that needs to be fixed regarding AI's ability to open temporary files.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Shaun

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Discussing with the Barcode Producer support team, they were able to work out a solution for me 🙂

The issue was that when updating to a new Illustrator version, the old folders within "C:\Program Files\Adobe" location are not removed (even though I selected the option to remove old software when updating). So there was 3 folders for Illustrator (2019, 2021 and 2022) and because 2021 was listed before 2022, the 3rd party software went into that folder looking for the executable file.

All I had to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that third party software really ready for your Illustrator version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, what do you mean by that question?

The software was working correctly prior to updating to the latest Illustrator version. I was able to click the AI button within Barcode Producer and it would open directly in Illustrator with no issue.

After the Adobe update I was not able to do this, so therefore I would class this as a bug that needs fixing within AI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discussing with the Barcode Producer support team, they were able to work out a solution for me 🙂

The issue was that when updating to a new Illustrator version, the old folders within "C:\Program Files\Adobe" location are not removed (even though I selected the option to remove old software when updating). So there was 3 folders for Illustrator (2019, 2021 and 2022) and because 2021 was listed before 2022, the 3rd party software went into that folder looking for the executable file.

All I had to do is remove the old folders and I was good to go. Perhaps Adobe should implement a removal of these folders when upgrading to avoid this issue for 3rd party software.

On a side note: if anyone needs software to produce barcodes, I would highly recommend Barcode Producer. The software is great, and the support team are excellent to talk to!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Illustrator doesn't remove the application folder that usually means that you had something non-default in there: custom plugins, custom presets, scripts, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2023 Dec 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG! I had the same issue. Such a simple fix! Worked great. Thank you for finding this out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines