• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Illustrator Changing the name and creating clipping group??

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am importing a image into illustrator and when I close the file and reopen it - it changes the links to 
<Clip Group> -> <Image>
Why is it doing this and hoe can I disable it??

Thanks

TOPICS
Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Illustrator embeds the images automatocally if the Link option is turned Off. And in this case the image lose its name and become an internal object of the document. To keep the image's properties and the ability to edit it if needed, you have to not embed it.

Actually, there are 2 reasons to embed images:

1. You plan to bring/send your artwork somewhere and do not want to remember about the external image files.

2. The images are PDF files and you want to edit them inside your document. 

In any

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the settings of the import? Was it with "Link" option or not?
Could you please show the screen with the Layers and Links panels expanded?
If content is sensitive, you can zoom it to show just part of the artwork, we need mainly panels to say something helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2022-06-13 at 13.12.14.png

Hi Anna, Thank you...
Please see above...
I'm not sure if I pressed some shortcut keys or selcted something without knowing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can see here are 2 things:
1. You placed the images without the Link option. In this case Illustrator embed the image into the document and break all links to the original (including its name).

2. The clipping masks may be created by yourself or by the program itself if you place, for example, PDF format. What format have the images?

try to relink any image (click on the "chain" icon on the Links panel) and reselect the image in the folder with the Link option turned On. And then tell please what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anna,

Thank you...
I Place a image but it didnt embed it - I then tried the same thing then embedded it manually and it worked.

Will Illustrator not embed it automatically?
I thought it did?

Thanks

Indy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator embeds the images automatocally if the Link option is turned Off. And in this case the image lose its name and become an internal object of the document. To keep the image's properties and the ability to edit it if needed, you have to not embed it.

Actually, there are 2 reasons to embed images:

1. You plan to bring/send your artwork somewhere and do not want to remember about the external image files.

2. The images are PDF files and you want to edit them inside your document. 

In any other cases keeping the images on link (external) is better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats great... Thank you Anna

Where do i need to go to turn on & off the links to embed and not??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. To place a linked (unembedded) image, place it with the Link option turned On:

2022-06-13_19-02-18.png

It does not include the image in the document but creates the link to the original image and its "avatar" in the artwork. So you can edit the original in its own source program any time, your doc is not too large, but if you want to move the artwork anywhere you need to move the external image as well.
2022-06-13_19-03-21.png

The linked image has some marks: it"s crossed by diagonals and has a link mark ("chain") in the Links panel.

If you want to embed the image, you can choose the corresponding point in the Links panel menu:

2022-06-13_19-04-10.png

Then you'll get an image that is totally included in the document, link to the original will be broken. You cannot lose it when move anywhere but its size will be added to the doc size and you can't edit and update it. after any editing of original you will need to relink it:

2022-06-13_19-05-51.png

To restore the "Linked" status, you need to relink the image with the "Link" option turned On.

Now about your doc. This happens when you place the PDF file (it may be Photoshop PDF or Illustrator PDF as well). the embedded PDF receives a clipping mask like some "capsule" for its content.
2022-06-13_20-26-31.png

so to avoid this action you can place the file with the Link option or save the original raster images in another format (PSD, TIF, Hi quality JPG etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anna,

Amazing... Thank you very much for your help with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue as the author but I don't want the images embedded, I need them linked. Whenever I close and reopen the document the image name is listed as <Clip Group> -> <Image>. This is only images that have a clipping mask applied, others appear as desired. I'm using png's, psd's, and jpg's. Attached is a screenshot of when it's linked and correct, the second is when I reopen the file.Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 4.07.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-30 at 4.07.07 PM.png

Do you have a solution that keeps them linked?

It's affecting several files I have. They all started from PDF dielines a printer sent me but are now ai files. I haven't had this issue before and I've used the same process for hundreds of projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It was a case of my illustrator being a version behind my coworkers! I updated and the issue was resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines