• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a Die Cut line from a PNG in AI

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a beautiful PNG file that I want to turn into a sticker. I have been trying all day to create a die cut line around the image so it has a nice even white border. I have watched countless Youtube videos and tried EVERYTHING. How can I do this? Please help!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

or have a go with a trace.

place your png.

make a copy and place on a new layer. hide the layer with the png (for convenience).

trace the png on a setting with a high threshold:

trace1.png

expand the trace and ungroup.

use Object > Path > Offset path and give it enough so the offset from each element overlaps others. use round joins:

trace2.png

use pathfinder to unite the paths created by the offset.

trace3.png

delete the extra hole. give your path a stroke and no fill. delete the original traced paths. show the layer with the png aga

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show the artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AGD2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jordan,

I believe this is one for the drawing tools on top of the (locked) image: only you can decide where you want to have the white line/border.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AGD3.png

How about this one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. You need to draw it manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or have a go with a trace.

place your png.

make a copy and place on a new layer. hide the layer with the png (for convenience).

trace the png on a setting with a high threshold:

trace1.png

expand the trace and ungroup.

use Object > Path > Offset path and give it enough so the offset from each element overlaps others. use round joins:

trace2.png

use pathfinder to unite the paths created by the offset.

trace3.png

delete the extra hole. give your path a stroke and no fill. delete the original traced paths. show the layer with the png again:

trace4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This old thread but here is my take on the problem.

Open png file on Photoshop, create selection of png layer, fill it black, merge it against white background, blow out the file to 600dpi or more, use gaussian blur to smooth pixelization, use contrast tool to make sharp edge on black image, select black color with magic wand , create path from selection, export path from the file menu using the export to illustrator option. 

This will save you a file with the line you will need to cleanly cut it. Import png file to ilustrator or corel, import the new line file and place line on top of png.

If you want a edge around the image just use the stroke effect on the initial steps on photoshop. 

I work on a printing shop and we make tshirts and people bring the most surreal and low quality images to transfer to clothing items, i do this 30 times a day and it works like a charm and no need to loose time on vector software messing with lines.

Hope this helps people,

FranciscoGL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jordan,

Depending on the shape of the outer bounds of the actual artwork in the PNG, you may recreate it with the drawing tools, such as Rectangle Tool, Elleips Tool, Pen Tool, working on top of the locked image, or you may use Image Trace (or Live Trace/Auto Trace for older versions) with suitable settings.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/image-trace.html

You may also look here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/adobeillustrator/2013/07/image-trace-in-illustrator-a-tutorial-and-guide.html

Always expand after image tracing to get things to work.

Select it/them and Object>Image Trace>Expand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines