• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 25.3 unable to open/import/export Autocad (DWG/ DXF ) files on M1 macs

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated to Adobe illustrator 25.3 on Apple M1 mac mini. I can no longer open DWG files (2004 or otherwise), any way round this? or is this a known issue/problem? Thanks

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Hi All,

I understand that some of you have been experiencing difficulties with opening or importing DXF/DWG files in Illustrator. I want to assure you that the product team has worked diligently to resolve this issue.

After careful investigation, it has been determined that the problem is with the DXF/DWG files themselves. They were not created in accordance with the proper file format specifications, and as a result, they are causing errors when attempting to open or import them in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. Illustrator 25.3 works natively on M1 chipset, however, Autocad files are still not supported natively on M1 machines. Our team is working with Autocad to get this fixed.

Till the time it is fixed, please install older version of Illustrator (25.2.3) and stay tuned for updates. 

I would also suggest posting this on our UserVoice page ( https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/43644762-iimpor...  ). This way, you will keep getting all the updates related to this feature and other users can also upvote, which would help us prioritize.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to take this advice and install an older version of illustrator, but the only version available on the CC website is the current one. Is there some way to legitimately get an older version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just run the current version of Illustrator in Rosetta mode. You don't need the older version.

Select the Adobe Illustrator 2021.app in the Finder.

Choose Get Info (Cmd-I)

Check the box: "Open Using Rosetta"

Now the only problem I have is rationalizing paying $240/year for this software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this still not fixed?  I am trying to export the file I created with adobe illustrator into DXF format.  Can someone please have a look into resolving this issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Michelle23252174hkdj,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulties exporting your file into DXF format. As I already mentioned, the issue with opening or importing DXF/DWG files has been determined to be with the files themselves not being created in accordance with proper file format specifications.

However, if your DXF file is opening in the latest version of AutoCAD but not in Illustrator's latest version, then please share the DXF file with us, and we will do our best to assist you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Liebe Community,

ich kann seit dem Update auf 25.3 keine .dxf-files mehr öffnen oder platzieren. Woran kann es liegen - wer hat bitte Lösungsansätze?

Beste Grüße aus Essen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about this trouble. Is this a M1 machine? If yes, our team is already aware of this issue. For more details, please refer to this similar discussion ( https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/illustrator-25-3-unable-to-open-autocad-dwg-dxf-files/td-... ).

Else, share a few more details about your device.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

export to DWG or DXF disappeared.

Reseting the preferences didnt help at all. Reinstalling Illustrator didnt help as well.

I hope somebody can help me.

Best regards,

Caner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. I tried but couldn't replicate this behavior at my end. I would request if you could share a few more details like:

• OS and version of Illustrator
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. 
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently. 

You may also try resetting Illustrator Preferences ( https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html ) and let us know if that resolves the issue.

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

We're here to help, just need more info.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your answer.

• It's a very recent problem, which just appeared a few days ago. 1-2 weeks ago, I was still using the option.
  • It's not related to any document, I do not have the option at all.
  • Neither reseting Illustrator, nor reinstalling the programm helped.
  • The version of Illustrator I am using is 25.3
  • My computer is a MacBook Pro, Apple M1 Chip, 16GB RAM with macOS Big Sur - version 11.4 installed.
  • I didnt install any system updates, but it's possible that there was an Illustrator update, since it's updating automatically. I didn't notice it. But I deleted Illustrator and installed the newest version again...

Thanks for the support.

I hope you can help me with this issue.

Best,

Caner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still no fix for a function that was working on previous versions - now not working despite spending 3 hours with adobe customer services a year ago

Illustrator will not export text when you check the outline text option 

{Renamed by MOD}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to export to dxf and turn on the outline text option.

Maybe the font you are using is problematic. Do some tests on a copy of a file deleting parts at at time until you can export. Then let us know the details about the problematic object. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. I would like to know if the issue resolved by the suggestions shared above. If not, I would request if you could share a few more details like:

• OS and version of Illustrator
  • Does it give any error code?
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. 
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently. 

You may also try resetting Illustrator Preferences ( https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html ) and let us know if that resolves the issue.

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

We're here to help, just need more info.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let me know when you will bring back dwg support to Illustrator with Apple M1 chip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. Autocad files are still not supported natively on M1 machines. Our team is working with Autocad to get this fixed.

Till the time it is fixed, please install older version of Illustrator (25.2.3) and stay tuned for updates. 

I would also suggest posting this on our UserVoice page(https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/43644762-iimpor... ). This way, you will keep getting all the updates related to this feature and other users can also upvote, which would help us prioritize.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much better option is to run 25.3.1 in Rosetta emulation. It'work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get the Rosetta emulation?

I am stuck with this trouble for a while ;(

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can run Intel version of 25.3.1 from Adobe Creative Cloud.

exitrom_0-1624444235985.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

Since updating to newer version loading DXF files is also not working on older versions for me ??

Please help 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been trying to export a file as DXF for laser cutting and the option is currently missing.

I was able to previously export as DXF back in February on the same document and am now unable to.

I have browsed other forums with similar issues but have been unable to find a solution... I've restarted my computer, uninstalled illustrator, and checked to make sure I was using "standard canvas size" and still no DXF export option.

My canvas is 140mmx140mm and also a 55mmx55mm with a vector image and text on the canvas, both no longer have DXF options (I've also tried recreating the canvas and removing features to see - nothing works).

Please help!

Thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can not export/save Ai files to DXF or open old DXF files in Illustrator

Just upgraded to a new M1 Mac Mini running Illustrator 25.3.1

I have cleared the preferences with no solution.

And I also see I can't even open old DXF files I created before the upgrading.

Can someone please help!?

Thank you for your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get this issue on Windows 10 Illustrator 25.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines