• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator is crashing on M1 Mac (macOS Big Sur)

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Illustrator on a new Macbook Pro with M1 apple silicon. While using the software it often starts to randomly freeze and after a few minutes everything works again. Sometimes the whole mac is frozen for several minutes and Illustrator crashes completely. Not seeing anyone eelse reproting the problem und no issue desiriped my adobe on the M1 side i was wondering what could be rhe reason for this problem. Thank you!

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Hi all,

We have recently released an update for Illustrator 2021 (v 25.3.1) which is compatible with Apple Silicon & contains multiple bug fixes. Please follow the steps shared here to update your app.

For more information about this release, please check out this help article.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 157 Replies 157
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My iCloud Drive has been unchecked and I've still had Illustrator issues. I will turn off the GPU Performance and see if that works. I'll be heavily using Illustrator today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update on what I am seeing. With GPU turned off, Illustrator will crash, but without frezing the entire operating system like it was before. It will just crash and close. Still not good, but at least I don't have to force restart. I will update again if I see anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another update: whole system just froze up again and had to force restart. GPU was turned off in Illustrator preferences. Turning off iCloud and turning off GPU Performance are not solutions for the system instability Illustator causes.  😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a shame. I'm sorry you had no joy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's okay. I'm going to test out reducing the "undo counts" from 100-50 and unchecking "Real-Time Drawing and Editing". We'll see what happens.

I am impressed with this computer, I just wish the Adobe progams would function. Every other program I've run has been smooth or runs even better than on my previous Macbook Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Facing same issues 😞 Did reducing the undo counts fix the problem? If not, were you able to find any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem here, my solution was to download and install an older version and that runs pretty well. You should be able to find the older version in the install options CC will give you when you choose to install Illustrator. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're using Illustrator version 24 on an M1 Mac without experiencing the problems reported here with version 25?

Can anyone else reading this please give this a go and confirm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if I've found a solution, but my system was stable yesterday after tinkering with the performance settings in Illustrator. I was mainly saving out logo files yesterday, so not super heavy Illustrator work. I would love if another person with an M1 mac using Illustrator could also test this and see if they see less crashing.

Under Illustrator Preferences
Click "Performance"

Uncheck "GPU Performance"
Set "Undo Counts" to 50
Uncheck "Real-Time Drawing and Editing"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still smooth sailing this morning, and I'm doing heavier design work. No system crashes yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tested your performance solution on my mac M1 and it is working fine now.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! I've had 4 full hours of crash-free this morning. No lagging either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try this and see if helps?

Under Illustrator Preferences
Click "Performance"

Uncheck "GPU Performance"
Set "Undo Counts" to 50
Uncheck "Real-Time Drawing and Editing"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting on that now!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ughhh I hate it without GPU Performance checked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Took the undo count down to 50....

I'll keep you posted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah 😞
I think I restarted my computer at least 10 times yesterday until I unchecked everything. I haven't had to restart all day today. It's not as smooth, but it is letting me get work done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I'm not exactly sure which of the unchecked options it was that fixed it. Just don't have time to test it out. But if you narrow it down, please let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do. So sad. It was working so freaking amazingly before everything crashed. Now I also have the real time editing unchecked too. Can't stomach unchecking the GPU performance tho 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem still happening. Guess I have to shut off GPU performance 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With just "GPU Performance" unchecked, it still crashed for me. I had to uncheck "Real-Time Drawing and Editing".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I now have them all shut off and have had no crashes since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, no crashes for me yesterday. It was amazing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! I can't wait until they update the app and I don't have to disable those features. It's gonna work so well 😭

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines