Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layers palette: cannot tell the difference between layers and groups

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a small issue when working with the layers palette. In larger documents I typically rename some of my layers and groups. After renaming both my layers and groups look exactly the same in the layers palette. In my case the only way to tell the difference seems to be double clicking the layer or group name in order to open layer/group properties dialogue box.

What should I do in order to see the difference between layers and groups without double clicking?

I have tried various ways to modify my user interface preferences but unfortunately without luck. I hope that there would be a way to make the background color of text "Layer 1" and "<Group>" different.

Layers palette issue x1200px.png

BR Markku

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

That has been the case in all recent versions, but they took it away.

Please make a feature request:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That has been the case in all recent versions, but they took it away.

Please make a feature request:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info, I made a feature request.

BR Markku

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Related to this question; I notice a flaw in the way AI (CC 2015) updates Layer colors.

If I add a group to a layer then change the layer color, the group color-indicator remains the original color in the Layer Panel, even though the group elements reflect the new color on the Artboard. If additional objects are added to the layer they are properly color-coded in the Layers Panel.

Screenshot 2017-06-29 10.44.43.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One afterthought:

There is something weird going on indeed.... When adjusting settings in Preferences > User Interface

everything looks OK (at least in the sense I would expect things to work)

but unfortunately layers and groups are again the same after clicking "OK"  : (

a-Ythumbs-upArtboard 1-x1200px.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ext-padawan  wrote

What should I do in order to see the difference between layers and groups without double clicking?

I do two things:

1. Use my Appearance panel and
  2. Name my Layers and Groups with the words Layer, Group, and Sublayer (Note that I did not do that here, and that I have a sublayer named Design and a Group named Design, which would cause confusion extraordinaire!)

Example 1: Artwork layer selected; Appearance panel indicates Layer

Example 2: Design sublayer selected; Appearance panel indicates Layer

Example 3: Design group selected; Appearance panel indicates Group

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But nothing beats this:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-06-29 um 18.32.02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another discreet indicator is the black triangle at the top right corner of the layer items. Given that at least one object is selected on the artboard, only main layers and sub layers show the black triangle. Groups don't do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good point, Kurt. It seems obvious now. The only time that fails is if there is nothing in a layer since, by definition, groups cannot exist without content.

But there is still nothing to differentiate sublayers from groups, at a glance, other than the naming convention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite sure if it is right to say that it fails. Of course, an empty layer does not allow you to select any object because there is precisely nothing inside it. You can only highlight (and target) it to show the black triangle indicator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, 1000% agree with this. Especially if you name layer, sublayers, and groups. They are indistinguishable and are a nightmare to navigate through on large files. Especially if you use Character Animator. 

Attn: Adobe Product Managers!!! There are way too many UX flaws in Illustrator. For those of us who work in UX it's even more upsetting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This thread is 6 years old.

Please create a new one and show a screenshot of what you are referring to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines