• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make 'Document Title' in File info automatically match file name

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to make the Document Title field in the File Info match the document's file name without having to go in to the File Info window and change it by hand each time? I have a client who wants the title property to match the file name of each document. Easy enough when there's one doc, but when you have to change it manually for 40 or 50 documents, it's not fun.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version are you using?

It seems to already do that in 2017.1.0

You have to close the document after saving and reopen it to see the filename in the Document Title field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel a bit dumb. I tried everything I could think of, except for closing and reopening the file, which did indeed work. Thanks!

Running CS6 (Illustrator version 16.0.0) on Mac OS 10.12.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the document title originates from the document profile used when a new file is created in Illustrator. If the file originated from another program, the title and other metadata would generally transfer. You can automate changing the title name to match the file name in Acrobat, using an existing preflight profile, but your Illustrator file would be saved as a PDF.

Title name to file name.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luke,

When you create a new document, the Document Title gets the name of the profile it was based upon.

If you save it the Document Title will get the name of the saved document.

But you will have to close and open it to see the updated change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ton, I'm not seeing that behavior. Saving, closing and re-opening the file does not change the name of the title, as seen in File> File Info, or in Acrobat File> Properties. I am on a Mac, version 21.1.0. Perhaps it's different for a PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works for me as described by Ton.

Latest Mac OS, Illustrator 21.1.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on  MacOS 10.12.6 and the latest Illustrator version.

Edit: But older Illustrator versions behave the same on this OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested a file this morning and the title did change, as you described. The title in the file I tested yesterday did not and does not change, so I did some additional testing to figure out what the difference is. It seems the title name change is a based on the name of the file saved in Illustrator. If you change the name of the file in the finder (by typing a new name outside of Illustrator) the file name will change, but the title name will not, regardless of how many times you save or close the file. It will work if you save the file over itself, or save it to a new name, or save a copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes sense.

I tested it with Photoshop, but Photoshop does not seem to write the name of the file into the Document Title.

So Illustrator users may consider themselves lucky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, here is a Bridge Filename to IPTC Title Script to automate that: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2139154

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that works beautiful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that's good to know. It also doesn't work if you use "Save As," which is unfortunate for me. (Save As has been a pretty integral part of my workflow, but it seems it can't be for this particular client anymore, alas.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines