• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alert is shown on opening documents in InDesign 19.4. - This file is already open by another

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2024 May 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour j'arrive plus à ouvrir certain fichiers Indesign depuis que j'ai installé Sonoma sur mon MacBook. Quand j'ouvre des indesign avec lien bibliothèque j'ai un message du type : ": le fichier est deja ouvert par un utilisateur ou utilis& par un autre..." alors que c'est un Indesign fait par moi et non partagé (j'ai juste des liaison bibliothèque) 

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 17, 2024 May 17, 2024

I believe this is a known issue with 19.4. Adobe is aware of it but you should roll back to 19.3 in the meantime. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 20, 2024 May 20, 2024

Hi @Han Maximus,

Thank you for reaching out. As rightly informed by our expert, this is a known issue and the team is working on it on priority.

Please upvote this uservoice page: https://adobe.ly/3QVBsZs to add your voice and vote for better visibility.

For now, please try the workaround below to unblock yourself and let us know if that helps.

Workaround: Use ID 19.3 or Open the file in the previous version, resave it, and then open it in ID 19.4.  

Please stay tuned to the uservoice page

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avec quelle version d'InDesign ? Exactement , pas « la dernière version ».

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour, J'ai la version 19.4, normalement c'est bien la dernière. Le bug semble se produire sur les fichiers avec un lien vers des logos bibliothèques je pense, car ceux ou j'ai toutes les images sur mon DD s'ouvrent. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Essaie deux choses :

1.  déconnecte-toi de ton compte puis reconnecte-toi
  2.  réinitialise les préférences d'InDesign. Avec la 19.4 c'est très facile
    Capture d’écran 2024-05-17 à 12.48.47.png

Pour être franc, je n'ai encore jamais essayé cette méthode de réinitialisation des préférences, j'ai tellement l'habitude de celle-ci : Il faut relancer l'application tout en appuyant simultanément sur Maj, Ctrl, Alt et Cmd jusqu'à l'apparition du message demandant confirmation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merci de l'aide, j'ai testé hélas toujours même problème

Capture d’écran 2024-05-17 à 13.11.46.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this is a known issue with 19.4. Adobe is aware of it but you should roll back to 19.3 in the meantime. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you !! j'ai placé la version 19.3 et ça remarche. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you !! j'ai placé la version 19.3 et ça remarche. 🙂 

By @Han Maximus

As Bob already mentioned, it's a known issue - here's a thread where Adobe acknowledges this, which also contains a link to upvote this bug on uservoice:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/this-file-is-already-open-by-another-user-i-am-t...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2024 May 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Han Maximus,

Thank you for reaching out. As rightly informed by our expert, this is a known issue and the team is working on it on priority.

Please upvote this uservoice page: https://adobe.ly/3QVBsZs to add your voice and vote for better visibility.

For now, please try the workaround below to unblock yourself and let us know if that helps.

Workaround: Use ID 19.3 or Open the file in the previous version, resave it, and then open it in ID 19.4.  

Please stay tuned to the uservoice page for updates on this bug.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2024 Jul 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

u with adobe plans

[Abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sofia36065800o2hf_0-1715208372588.png

Files not working, I'm working with files synced to dropbox but no one else has them open

I've already tried:

- making them offline and online

- deleting & reinstalling indesign 

- restarting creative cloud & indesign

- restarting my computer

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be a "lock" file in the same directory - with "~" in front - you can delete this file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Sofia36065800o2hf

Sorry for the delay in response. I assume you're experiencing the similar issue mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/4bvWYfr.

If so, we would like to inform you that this is a known bug, and our team is actively working on it. Please upvote the UserVoice page mentioned in the post above and try the suggested workaround.

Let us know if the workaround resolves your issue.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there. I am getting an error message: This file is already open by another user or another application. This file may be stored on a network server and cannot be opened until the other users closes it. The file is not open anywhere else and I am the only user? How do I fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the folder where the InDesign file saved for a hidden file with extension idlk. Delete this idlk file and then try to open the InDesign file.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Megan - there are no idlk files. I've deleted them. I can't access any of my files on my new laptop. Not sure how to connect to them - I use dropbox to save all files. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm if the file has been properly downloaded/synced on the destination computer. Check the filesize on the computer where the document opens fine with the filesize on the computer that has issues, that might give us some hint.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Files are synced perfectly - files are same size. Is it something to do with the fact that I'm running creatve cloud on two divices at the same time? I've quit creatve cloud where file work OK. Left it open on laptop - still not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You left what open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I left creatve cloud open on laptop - quit out of it on desktop computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a fan of CC storage for this type of thing. I use Dropbox and Onedrive and they both work flawlessly.

As already mentioned, any smart sync type of feature should be disabled for InDesign-based workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes agreed - I don't use CC to store my files. All my files are on dropbox. But for some reason I can't open any of my CC files on new laptop? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a fast fix, move the InDesign document file from Dropbox to your desktop before opening within InDesign and try to open it there. I suspect it will open just fine.

Then go back to your dropbox folder and I suspect you'll find some errant .idlk files. Kill them all. And as Bob recommended, turn off smart syncing with Dropbox. It will reduce — but not eliminate — the chance that will happen to you again in the near future.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it sorted. Accessiblity was not activated in dropbox settings. 

Thanks for you help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that this specific problem was fixed for the OP, but I needed to weigh in with my own fix that I was just able to resolve. 

After searching the limited forums for this exact dialogue box " This file is already open by another user or another application. This file may be stored on a network server and cannot be opened until the other user closes it." I didn't find anything that helped my situation! 

I tried:

- Updating my operating system

- Restarting my computer (of course, duh)

- Saving the files under multiple names in multiple places

- Opening the file as a copy

- Opening the idml

And not a single thing fixed it. The thing that did fix it? Reverting to the previous version. It was that simple. I was operating (from a mac, btw) in the most recent 19.4, the helpful homie on the phone told me to override and reinstall 19.3 and BAM that was all it took. 

So I really hope this helps someone somewhere and I wish I had had this answer days ago. Happy designing, everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines