• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All layers not available on all pages

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click on a specific page in my 10 page document I get a specific arrangement of layers. When I click on another page, the arangement is different. I get a whole new set of layers for the entire document. This is what happens on each page-- different page, different arrangement of layers. Each page is giving me a whole new menu of layers. Click on a page- all layers change. I can't organize my content b/c the changes I make to layers while working one page do not hold when I click to another page.

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Show us screen captures of some of your pages with Layers showing.

I've been teaching InDesign classes since the program first came out, and InDesign uses the same layers on all pages and spreads as shown in my examples below. Perhaps, you're confusing that fact that what's under the layer name are objects on that particular page (they are not layers):

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 3.32.45 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 3.32.54 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 25, 2023 Nov 25, 2023

Layers transcend all pages. Objects will tend to be unique to each page.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 26, 2023 Nov 26, 2023

Photoshop doesn't have a page object, the document is always a single page. There are layer groups for organizing layers, which look like the page items list you get when you toggle open an InDesign Layer, but Photoshop layer groups and InDesign page items are not conceptually related.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us screen captures of some of your pages with Layers showing.

I've been teaching InDesign classes since the program first came out, and InDesign uses the same layers on all pages and spreads as shown in my examples below. Perhaps, you're confusing that fact that what's under the layer name are objects on that particular page (they are not layers):

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 3.32.45 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 3.32.54 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Example 1.jpg

Example 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any problem. It works exactly as @Steve Werner described in a post above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If for some reason, you really do have what you described and it only happens in this one document, there could be some corruption. You might solve this by saving it as IDML: File > Save As > InDesign CS4 or Later [IDML]. Then open the IDML in InDesign to see if has removed the corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Example 1.jpg

Example 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you supply screen shots of what is happening to the layers panel on the different pages? It would be easier to diagnose the issue with visuals. Also what operating system and what version of InDesign are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help!

I was using ID v. 18.5.1. After this problem began I updated to version 19.0.1 InDesign on CC. I get the same results.

I'm on Win 10 and I work with all my CC apps with reliable performance, till this.

Attached are 2 screenshots of the same ID file. Notice how when one page with an items is selected shows the layer called Logos with a specific set of items in the column. Then when a different page is selected it designates the same layer called Logos with a different set of items in the column list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The layers are working fine. As I tried to explain before, the items below your layer "Logos" is a list of objects (not layers) on that layer on that particular page. So of course they would be different on each page. 

That is normal behavior in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2023 Nov 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steve. I think I see what you and Bill are saying, but I'm having trouble getting a clear understanding. I'm used to Pshop where I can just rearrange and rename layers at anytime and all layers and objects are always visible. (Evidently here I have 2 different pages, each with a layer called Logos, whereas I was thinking there was one and it would always be visible no matter what page was selected.) Honestly, I didnt know each page would have its own set of items and the layers menu would change according to the page selected. I think I need some instruction on the proper way to percieve and work with layers in ID. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at my illustrations above, you'll see the same thing is happening. 

If you see items in <angle brackets> they are objects. If a graphic it will a name like <Blueberries.psd>. If it is text, it will show the first few words like <Continued from page 1>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After this problem began I updated to version 19.0.1 InDesign on CC. I get the same results.

Hi @Hikingsky , Layers are a Document object, while the items listed inside of a Layer are Page Items—each page can contain different Page Items. This is not new with version 19, the items listed when you toggle open the Logos Layer are the Page Items on the currently active page.

Example-1.png

You can rename the listed Page Items if that helps:

Screen Shot 6.png

Screen Shot 7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob.

I'm used to Pshop where I can just rearrange and rename layers at anytime and all layers and objects are always visible. (Evidently here I have 2 different pages, each with a layer called Logos, whereas I was thinking there was one and it would always be visible no matter what page was selected.) Honestly, I didnt know each page would have its own set of items and the layers menu would change according to the page selected. I think I need some instruction on the proper way to percieve and work with layers in ID. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2023 Nov 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop doesn't have a page object, the document is always a single page. There are layer groups for organizing layers, which look like the page items list you get when you toggle open an InDesign Layer, but Photoshop layer groups and InDesign page items are not conceptually related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2023 Nov 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The usual approach with InDesign is to setup Layers by object category, which is what Steve is showing in his first post, but you have to move the Page Items on each page into the appropriate Layer. When you create a page item its intial container Layer will be the currently selected Layer.

Here I’ve setup Layers for Guides, Color, Images, and Text, but all of the page items on the active page are in Layer 1:

Screen Shot 17.png

Screen Shot 16.png

I can select a page item and the selected item is indicated in the Layers panel—I can drag the selected page item into the appropriate Layer and organize it by Z order:

layer1.png

Now there are no page items in Layer 1

Screen Shot 18.png

The Color Layer hidden:

Screen Shot 19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Rob for taking the time to explaine and illustrate all of this. I believe I'm getting an understanding now.

Turns out there was not a bug in the software, but a short in the operator (and that's an easier fix)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layers transcend all pages. Objects will tend to be unique to each page.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Layers transcend all pages. Objects will tend to be unique to each page."

Yes, I think there is something like that said in the Bhagavad Gita.

Just kidding! Thanks Mike, you guys on this forum are a great help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines