• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

all Windows 7 files are messed up in Windows 10 Printing Problems

Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got a new system. Windows 10 pro 64 bit. Just implemented it on Nov 16. Was using a windows 7 pro 64 bit system prior. Both systems are running InDesign CC 2018 with the most current update. All files stored on a server.

Every file that I created in Windows 7 are giving me printing problems. None of my printer settings except printer drawer selection are sticking. Even the stuff I change in the main printer dialogue box. I will change the paper size and add some crop marks. Nothings stays when I actually print it. If I go into setup and into the printer preferences to change things like drawer selection. Duplexing, Image Position etc. etc. NOTHING actually sticks except drawer selection. The file that goes to the printer is not duplexing or doing anything that I asked of it. If I go back into the printer preferences everything is back to the default again (except drawer selection).

Any new file I create on the windows 10 machine is just fine. All setting stick like they are supposed to. I can save the job and quit out of ID and come back and reopen the file and all of the settings are still there. Like I have been used to for many many years.

The only way to fix the windows 7 files are to open them, create a new document. Copy and paste into the new document and save. A save-as does not work. even if I give it a new file name. The only way it works is to start a new document. That is an OK workaround for one or two page documents but I can't possibly do that on  large documents. Things like text box links get lost that way and just makes a mess of everything. I have never run into this problem when I have switched OS in the past.

I have 3 printers in house and it does the same thing for all three printers. All other Adobe programs are just fine with the printers. Also all my office programs and any other thing in windows that needs to print. Just ID is giving me the problem.

All printer drivers are up to date. All system and window drivers are up to date. All Adobe programs are up to date. I have removed all the programs Thru my CC App including the preferences. I've also delete the CC app with the adobe CC app uninstaller.

Fresh install has done nothing.

Thanks for any input I can get.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

This method works:

If you originally printed the document on Printer A, then change it to Printer B. Change some setting, but you don't need to print anything, then change back to Printer A. It should work after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing you can try -- instead of copy and pasting into a new document -- is to save the InDesign files that are giving you trouble as IDML files, then reopen the IDML files in InDesign and save them again as INDD files.

Additionally InDesign has a feature called Print Presets (File > Print Presets > Define). For all your common printer settings I'd recommend using that.  Once you set-up a series of presets, you can select the appropriate one each time you print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Cari. I will give the IDML files a try and let you know how it goes this week.

As for the print presets. A lot of the jobs we run are unique in their settings. I would have a ton of presets that I would have to rifle thru. Also the biggest thing is the position of the back up. In a perfect world all my digital machines would back-up perfectly each time I run them. But I use the image shift to get the position perfect on everything.

I guess that is one of the most frustrating things right now is that I will get my backup close, but have to tweak it a bit more. But when I go back to my printer preferences everything is reset back to default. So now I have to write down all my movements and go from there. Not to mention having to re-input things like cover insertion, or things like mixed media and separator insertions. When you have a large document and you need to put tab paper before each chapter it gets confusing quick. then to have to re-input all those breaks every time you have to print gets frustrating... And opens a huge gap for mistakes to happen.

I will definitely try the IDML trick, but I do thank you for your input on the Print Presets as well. Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"One thing you can try -- instead of copy and pasting into a new document -- is to save the InDesign files that are giving you trouble as IDML files, then reopen the IDML files in InDesign and save them again as INDD files."

Unfortunately going IDML Then saving it again as and .idd file doesn't work either. Even if I give it a brand new name instead of overwriting the other file.  Still the only thing that works is creating a new document and copy/paste.

I wish Adobe would chime in. Is there nobody else out there with this same problem?

I am basically having to start over with all my projects. Not acceptable on large jobs with intricate layouts and settings.

InDesign has been giving me multiple problems that other programs, Adobe or not adobe, are not having. I believe it is an Indesign/ Adobe Issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you export a PDF and print that? And no, it would appear nobody else is experiencing this which indicates either print driver issue or some other issue specific to your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can print. that's not the problem. However NONE of the settings in print preferences (thru Indesign's print dialogue interface) take or save.

I can save to PDF and print. All other Adobe and Windows programs work fine. It is just Indesign. That leads me to believe that it is not a driver issue. Just and InDesign issue. I've reinstalled. I've rebuilt preferences via the keyboard shortcut and manually. Nothing has changed.

This only happens on ALL OLD files. The newly created files are fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:

I've uninstalled/reinstalled.

I stopped Syncing thru creative cloud. I removed preferences manually and thru the keyboard shortcut. All at the same time.

Nothing has changed.

In further testing it seems that the only files that have the problem of not saving my settings of my printer after I print are as follows:

I have 3 printers in house. Let's call them A, B, and C

Problems Occur when I open any old file not newly created on my new windows 10 system that were previously printed on Printer A and then try and print them on printer A again. No settings saved.

However If I open any old file not created on my new windows 10 system that were previously printed on printer B and then instead print them on Printer A, all settings are saved and everything works the way it is supposed to.

So if A>A = failure (same printer to same printer)

If B>A = success (Different Printer to Different Printer)

I can't explain this. It doesn't help me because A is a color machine and B is a B&W machine so I can't print color on the B&W and can't print B&W on the color because the click charges are too high.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This definitely sounds like a driver issue - have you checked for any updates? If you have - are your preferences set to use last printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kstohlmeyer1​ I'm not seeing a preference to "Use last printer". Where would I find that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This method works:

If you originally printed the document on Printer A, then change it to Printer B. Change some setting, but you don't need to print anything, then change back to Printer A. It should work after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is it! Thanks @PásztorRichárd Sorry for the long delay in response. I got slammed before the Holidays and I finally was given a week off. Now that I'm back I was able to try this and it is repeatable time after time. I first made sure the file wouldn't remember the settings. Then I tried your trick and it works.

CtrlP > Select a different printer and go to setup>Properties. I don't even have to change any properties, just click OK

Now that you are back at the print dialogue screen select the problem printer again and BAM! Go into your setting and change everything and it sticks!

No Fear! If you don't have a second printer just use your PDF printer. That works just the same. Thank you so much! I was getting frustrated!

Thank you everyone who replied even if your solution didn't help me it may help someone in the future. Love the Adobe Community!

Brent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the Win 10 Menu, open Settings > Devices > Printers & scanners. Scroll down a bit till you see a setting Let Windows manage my default printer. When this setting is turned On, the default printer is the last used printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kstohlmeyer1​ I do not have that setting.Right clicking doesn't bring up that setting either. I do, however, have a printer set as a default printer. It is the same printer I always have set as a default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes.... Now I feel real foolish. kstohlmeyer1​ I went to control panel instead of settings. I have that turned on now, but nothing has changed. Thanks for the advice.

I feel so incompetent with this issue. I have been doing this job forever and have not run into as many issues as Windows 10 is giving me. I really don't want to wipe my system out and start over. Especially because everything else is responding correctly. I am going to have to delete all my printers and start over. Once I find some time I will do that. I am now really backlogged so it is catch-up time.

If I find a solution I will post it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my next suggestion - remove your printers and readd them in the devices section. Hope it goes well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines