Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Animated Elements in Multi-state Objects

Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a fixed width EPUB (iPad Retina) where I have a full-screen image gallery controlled by left/right arrows constructed as a multi-state object:

< State 1 >

[Group-1: Title-1/Description-1]

[Image-1]

< State 2 >

[Group-2: Title-2/Description-2]

[Image-2]

< State 3 >

[Group-3: Title-3/Description-3]

[Image-3]

I want the [Group-X: Title-X/Description-X] to fade up or fly-in using the animation presets when each state loads. I have it working fine in State-2 and State-3, however, when I add any animation type to [Group-1: Title-1/Description-1] and preview using the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel Image-1 and [Group-1: Title-1/Description-1] do not appear. Image-1 is not animated, just [Group-1: Title-1/Description-1]

If, when using the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel, I use the arrows to go to State-2 and then back to State-1 I can see Image-1 and [Group-1: Title-1/Description-1] fades up as I want it to. I have tried testing the combinations for Hide Until Animated and Opacity settings in the Animation Panel. Nothing seems to work.

Any help in getting this fixed would be great,

Thanks in advance,

Eoin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try setting a delay for the first state to give the page time to fully load

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply,

Tried adding 0.5-second and then a 1-second delay for State-1 with no luck I'm afraid.

Appreciate the help,

Eoin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm. What epub reader are you testing on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm testing it as I develop the EPUB within InDesign using the EPUB Interactivity Preview Panel but the EPUB is for iPad/iBooks. I have tested it on iPad/iBooks and the same problem occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Here is a link to a test InDesign file I created that shows the problem:

Link (Dropbox)

If you view the MSO via the EPUB Interactivity Preview Panel you will see the title on state 1 is not visible, but if you use the right button to view state 2 and then go back to state 1 the title animates.

Also, I tested this on iPad and it's the same.

Eoin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appears to be some kind of bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob, was thinking the same but hoping I wasn't right.

Wonder if there a fix out there? Can't imagine I am the first to want to have animated elements in the first state of a MSO...?

Thanks for the help.

Eoin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t have time to try it myself, but have you tried saving back to an earlier version to eliminate that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you mean saving out the InDesign file to a legacy version or uninstalling InDesign and installing an older version?

Thanks,

Eoin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no need to uninstall the current version. Multiple versions can co-exist.

That said, I just tried it in CC2017 and the issue is there, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Thanks for testing, that's very interesting that it exists in CC2017 too. I'm using CC2019.

I wonder if it would be worth submitting this to Adobe as a bug? Not sure if that's worthwhile or how that's done?

Thanks for the help with this!

Eoin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you should.

Under the help menu you’ll find a link to the InDesign Uservoice site.

I tried a bunch of things to force the animation but couldn’t come up with anything. It seem like that state won’t fully load.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Thanks for that, I have submitted a bug to Adobe just now. I will let you know if there is any updates.

Really appreciate your help with this,

Eoin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a link to that report. I’ll upvote it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm moving this to the main InDesign forum because it affects Publish Online as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EoinWinston  wrote

Sure thing, great idea.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/36752872-mult i-state-o...

Hi Eoin,

just voted for fixing the bug.

Also did a comment on Uservoice showing the link to your sample document on Dropbox and to this thread here.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Thank you so much. I appreciate that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for pointing out this issue. I have updated the uservoice thread as well.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, i found the same bug.

It is like the first state of the MSO was already loaded on page change, meaning that the "on state load" animation(s) doesn't work.

you can only use animation ion the next state(s) of the MSO...

The only solution i've found was to made a "fake" MSO, using button commanded animations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines