• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any warnings against producing my magazines in Illustrator?

Enthusiast ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apart from the lack of the grid system (which I abandoned, I am going to paint my layout in Illustrator) what can InDesign in terms of magazine production, that Illustrator can't?

TOPICS
How to , InCopy workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Hi @Chris P. Bacon ,

note, that the feature to copy/paste formatted text between Illustrator and InDesign is a new feature with InDesign 2023 and Illustrator 2023. You are still on InDesign 2022 and Illustrator 2022.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 149 Replies 149
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is a page layout program, Illustrator is not. Although you could theoretically produce magazine pages that way, it is NOT designed to be a page layout program. InDesign is the right app, and is one of the industry standards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris:

I think there's a gray area when it comes to designing flyers and business cards and postcards in InDesign vs Illustrator. One can pick the application they feel most comfortable with and be successful.

But for laying out any multi-page document like a newsletter, magazine, book, I think it would be a mistake. Illustrator doesn't support master pages, running heads, or automatic page numbers. It has a limited set of InDesign's typography controls. The text styles are somewhat unpredictable and clunky. The text frame options aren't as robust. No nested styles. No GREP styles. No tables. No tab stops. No table of contents generation.

It's great for illustration, though. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign's purpose is page layout. While Illustrator shares a lot of similarities, it's primarily a vector graphic editor. For best practices you'd import your linked assets from Photoshop & Illustrator into InDesign for page layout. See Adobe's article here on InDesign vs Illustrator use cases.

InDesign has a lot of powerful tools that will aid you in page layout such as parent pages, paragraph styles, character styles, and object styles just to name a few. For long formatted documents such as magazines, it's best to efficiently set up your document so that any changes down the line can be updated automatically across the entire file. InDesign will give you the tools to do so, saving you time and keeping your file consistent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is for vectors, Photoshop is for bitmaps - InDesign is for bringing it together surrounded by text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion Illustrator should not be used for page layout for anything other than simple flyers/banners/etc. 

InDesign is the page layout tool and has far more typographical features, page management, parent pages (formerly master pages), running heads, automatic page numbers, footnotes, endnotes, etc. 

Illustrator has very little or none of these long document features. 

If you find Illustrator easier to use, by all means create a layout there - but try to recreate that created design in InDesign.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Page layout can be hand painted using brushes, in Illustrator, because once you drop the grid, you don't have anymore the requirement of "order".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Illustrator able to justify text with the same effectivity as InDesign? Especially full justification with no distortions. I already found my prefect recipe for that in the settings in InDesign, can I import it into Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Illustrator able to justify text with the same effectivity as InDesign?

It has the same justification settings, but maybe the question should be what are you doing in Illustrator that can’t be done in InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brushes, shape manipulation and masking are what I need, maybe 3D simulation would also be useful for graphics.

InDesign cannot do that.

Great, if it has the same justification capability as InDesign, I will work with Illustrator instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do all your vector graphic manipulation in Illustrator, then import the AI file(s) into your InDesign document for typesetting and page layout of other assets. That's the best way to go about it. Use the correct tool for the job in combination with each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, but the text is a constantly evolving thing, much more than the graphics, and I need to adjust the graphics behind the text to the text, not the other way around. So when I click "edit original" to edit the graphics, I will only see the graphics in Illustrator, it would be difficult to adjust it to the text, if I only see the graphics. Because the text is what will mostly keep changing in its lenght.

Otherwise I will have to stick with predefined fixed lenght text. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dropped the grid layout. That's why I am moving to Illustrator.

My layout will be painted instead, individually for each page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The idea is: text on graphics background. Very much like a comic book. But with a little more text: infographic documantaries and research writing in a scrapbook layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The idea is: text on graphics background.

Normally the workflow would be to create artwork that can’t be done in pagelayout either in Illustrator or Photoshop and place those files, then handle the pagination and typesetting in ID. You’re not going to have problems typesetting in Illustrator, but you could have production and efficiency problems when you need to deliver a press ready PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imagine a graphical Wikipedia, that's my genre.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it will be serious research writing (not entertainment) like Wikipedia, without the academic bloat and obscurantism + heavily graphical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't really do spread wide images because I mostly work with not copyrighted images (just like Wikipedia) and they don't have a very high resolution, but in Illustrator I can do spread-wide graphics instead, and I can put the images in them with blend modes. I work with distilled information (both images and text), and that's not copyrighted, like Wikipedia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't make the slightest sense out of this; if images work in one app/layout, they should work almost identically in the other.

But best of luck on your latest endeavor.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's like a magazine, but with more graphics, and no grid layout, instead: an infographic scrapbook layout, but comes out in series like a magazine. In fact the genre is mook, not magazine, because only the format is magazine, the content is book content, because every issue will be on a different and unrelated topic, they are popular in Japan, mook (magazine / book).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt there is a single publication of any kind that is not produced in a page/text oriented application like InDesign or Word, with a very few legacy ones still using older tools like Quark and a few using proprietary/newspaper-oriented platforms.

That you can produce something like page layouts in nearly any desktop tool — I used to know people who did their correspondence and newsletters in Excel! — is not any argument for doing so.

By attempting to do publications in a tool that is not fundamentally page-oriented and definitely not multiple-page oriented, you're taking all the general problems of producing a publication, then trying to do it all with with one hand tied behind your back, and with half the features you will routinely need — doing it without integrated support for things as simple as page numbering, TOC, indexes, footnotes or anything else most publications require.

You can do page layouts as artistically elaborate as you like in Illustrator, but by not stopping there, pulling those layouts into InDesign and using the latter's "publication" abilities for everything related to text and organization, you might as well be hand-cutting linoleum mats for your pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is not that I am not willing to bother to import them in Illustrator, but that once imported, they cannot be changed within InDesign. 

But they can be changed in Illustrator if I place them as linked, and that is suitable, perhaps.

For example if I place the graphical part of every page as .ai file into InDesign, then I can make the changes to that .ai with "edit original" (hopefully) in Illustrator, and then adjust the text to the changes in InDesign.

Problem is that the change most likely will happen in the text. Because the text is a constantly evolving something until the the point when you send it to print.

And the text need to be fitted to the graphics.

When I click edit original, I only see the graphics.

But I have to adjust the graphics to the changed text, not the other way around, because it's the text that will change first, and the graphics will need to be adjusted.

So that's a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@James Gifford—NitroPress wrote:

I doubt there is a single publication of any kind that is not produced in a page/text oriented application like InDesign or Word, with a very few legacy ones still using older tools like Quark and a few using proprietary/newspaper-oriented platforms.

Quark is probably still used a lot in the industry. I know nobody with serious ambitions, doing his publication in Word (except that proceedings on conferences are very often typeset in Word). Word doesn't even do correct colour separation.

We also typeset our contracts and technical documentations in Word (big industrial projects). More than once, I had to rescue the documents from misbehaving. I would not recommend anyone using Word for more than letter typing and simple reports. 

I've once done our healt and safety guide in Word, as the initial requirement was that the H&S guys should update the guide independantly. What happened, was that the ducument always returned to us, because they had messed it up. They couldn't even do the ToC properly. 

I really love Word for typing my letters, but that's it.

I can imagine someone doing a mag in Illustrator, I wouldn't however do it, for multiple reasons, laid out here.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Word is not uncommon in the textbook industry, because it can go natively from author to editor to page designer to proofing and back around. I've edited more than a few textbook chapters set up in Word, as elaborately as you might see in ID, with chapter page graphics and bleed flags and text decoration. It seems to work for them. Most are not particularly worried about accurate color separations, or take care of that at another level.

But then, I've also taken on some horrendous messes representing years of work in Word that in the end was absolutely useless in getting it to publication. 🙂

Stripped and configured, I don't know of a better writing tool. But you have to chisel off the marketing-driven setup and options and turn off most of the "helpful" crap. There used to be whole books on how to do this, for all the Office apps.

The rest of this thread is... characteristic in all ways. 'Nuf sed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phew!

For a second there, I thought I was on the Word Support Community forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines