Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Baseline Shift Mystery

Guide ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign 15.1.4 on Mac OS 12.2.1.

I'm cleaning up some inconsistent text, and to check if everything is the same, I select a paragraph and see if any of the fields are blank (meaning mixed values somewhere). So I decided to check the whole story for baseline shift, and saw that it was applied somewhere, but when I tracked it down, this is what I found.

This character doesn't have any:

1.png

…and this character doesn't have any:

2.png

…but when selected together, I would assume that the baseline shift field would be the same as the first two, but it's blank:

3.png

The font is the same, the size and leading are different, and the $ is using only the Superscript button. Is this just a bug in the file (I can't replicate it in a new document), or is there some setting I'm overlooking?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you can't replicate it in a new document, the document may have some corruption. You could try saving it as .IDML and then reopening it. Or, you could try copying the text and pasting it into a new document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try saving it as .IDML and then reopening it.

By @Barbara Ash

That didn't work, but if I rebuild a blank with the same fonts and sizes, I can duplicate it and paste the buggy text into each blank without formatting and it doesn't copy the bug. It will take a while, but I'd rather not have a bug, even if you can't see what it's doing. Thanks for responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check if there is a Character style applied to the problem area. If there is, remove the character style and reapply the paragraph style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the third scenario, what happens if you type "0" in there... does anything change?

Also, you selected only the paragraph return on the "Chuck" line. this may not reflect the rest of the line.. What happens if you select that entire line?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the third scenario, what happens if you type "0" in there... does anything change?

By Brad @ Roaring Mouse

Nothing that can be seen.

What happens if you select that entire line?

By Brad @ Roaring Mouse

The same thing—the input field is blank, indicating that there are mixed values in the selected text. The reason I showed the issue by selecting only the paragraph return and the $ separately was to show that there was no baseline shift in either, and that if there was no bls in either, there shouldn't be any when selected together. Since there is, there must be a bug in there somewhere. Going back to the original post, this is a way that I check a range of text to see if there are any stray deviations. A blank field says yes, so when it's blank when it shouldn't be, that negates my method of checking. It's not a huge problem, but its like a pebble in your shoe. Just anoying enough to be noticed, but not something to stop you in your tracks. Anyway, thanks for chiming in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"but its like a pebble in your shoe"

Yup. Now I want to see the file! Can you copy that text box onto a new document and upload it here?

I doubt it's a corruption, just an override that we can't see somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines