• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Booklet Printing Fails With some pages rotated 180 deg.

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to print a booklet with 8.5x11 pages on 11x17 page with an Epson WF7720.

1. The print preview is correct, but the printed copy has the pages on the back of each sheet upside down and thus, also, out of order.

2. The color of some large text on each page (from Masters) is wrong.  Wrong in preview also.

3. I "Printed to Microsoft PDF", and then printed the PDF.  It worked, but same text color is wrong.

4. This is not to mention that, on occasions, the printed copy has four small pages printed on each side of the sheet.  We will worry about this when and if it returns, but it may give a clue about what I am doing wrong.  Or InDesign is doing wrong.

5. I have, a couple of weeks ago, successfully printed a copy that was correct.  Including color.

6. I just printed a single page, same printer, OK but the big text is still grey rather than the green it should be even though a graphic the same green prints ok.

7. Printed same page, DIFFERENT printer, same color problem.

8. I just printed (non booklet) four pages, 2 pages per side of 11x17 and it is fine, except color is still off.

Help!!!

This is a repeat question which, when it was moved to the correct discussion area, was marked "Answered". It is not.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Export a proper PDF and use Acrobat’s booklet feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export a proper PDF and use Acrobat’s booklet feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ummm.  I was really hoping for a solution, not a work around.  As I reported I have a work around with the PDF.  Except for the color.  I am not a long time user of Adobe but we have a huge project that I will have to call in some help -- and only InDesign has local "followers" that might be employed to help.  If there is a problem with InDesign, I would hope Adobe would help solve that problem, or I will "work around" Adobe by using PagePlus and do it alone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob's suggestion is not really a workaround. It's a great feature that just happens to be in Acrobat. And in some instances, it works better than InDesign's Print Booklet feature. It's simple to use too. Just go to File > Print in Acrobat and choose the Booklet tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The print booklet feature has never been anything I would rely on. As Jeff points out, I didn't give you a workaround...I gave the best way to accomplish what you want to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is sad when I search this problem and find my old posts! with the same problem! Pages randomly deciding to rotate 180 on duplex printing from acrobat booklet feature. I think the last time I reinstalled the drivers and it lasted a few months, now they are corrupt again. Heads up to people out there, reinstall drivers first. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bartenational@thinkkal,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Please try the suggestions shared in this discussion and let us know if this helps or if you need further assistance.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue comes from your printer's (well everyone's printer's) PPD. Indesign works just fine with some and doesn't play nice with others. Page imposition, rotation and flip direction are all set by the printer and sometimes between the InDesign thinking it is doing the right thing and the ppd thinking it is correcting for the right thing, things get all messed up. The pdf solution is really the most reliable way as BobLevine​ and Jeff Witchell, ACI (sorry Jeff wont let me tag you) have pointed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm untagable when my name is spelt incorrectly. One "l" in Witchel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff Witchel, sorry for the misspelling and I just figured out that I need to add the "_" to get you to pop up in the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I exported to booklet printing in Indesign, opened the resulting .ps file. I am using a brother DW printer on a mac. I think it is using Postscript emulation. 

it consistantly rotates images 180 degrees on double sided printing. Ruining many pieces of paper. Previews perfect. I am doing everything right but buying a new printer. sigh. i have been working on this problem for 6 months now. no resolution in sight. This really stops my creative flow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as there is no edit button I am replying here. I exported originally as pdf. it seems to print better on my HP printer. but I have still had this issue out of nowhere, It rotates the back of the paper 180.  trying to find a work around that actually works. I am thinking there is a problem with the printer descriptions. Maybe I need to reinstall those? something is not working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bartenational@thinkkal , you are welcome to try this imposition script, which imitates the Print Booklet feature set (Acrobat’s Booklet print option does not have perfect binding, creep, etc.) but gets around the problem some print drivers have with postscript:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/3bfdb004-f188-4f3d-5904-d82dd8f8e2d1

Dialog:

Screen Shot 8.pngScreen Shot 9.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob Day,

Thank you for your comprehensive response. it looks exactly like what I am looking for, I was able to copy to my profile and cloud in Adobe cloud, but I do not see a download option? I am I missing permissions or something? Please advise, thank you!

Bart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For shared folders the CC Download button is unfortunately hidden—mouseover the script file and click the script file’s ... icon then click Download:

Screen Shot 16.png

You can also click the individual files and get this:

Screen Shot 17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see that option? strange

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 11.35.43 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to copy to my profile and cloud in Adobe cloud

You didn’t need to copy it to your account. Try this page and click the Download button in the top right:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/ea4e779e-f9a1-47fd-7c21-b2b7c5fbd1ec

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My final solution was to create a templete in Illustrator to rotate every other page, This consistently prints out everytime, with the least amount of hassel. to figure this out, I printed the booklet and number each page with a marker. Then dissasembled the booklet and created this template. 

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 11.03.33 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is not a PDF editor. Let the printer do the imposing or use an imposing service for Acrobat like impose online. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

not sure what you saying sir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines