• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Buttons and Hyperlinks on Master Page Not working on other pages after being exported from InDesign

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to create buttons and hyperlinks on the Master Page (both to a URL and to other pages in the document), they show up as an image on the other pages, but are not clickable. I have tried testing this both by publishing online and through the In-InDesign EPUB Interactivity Preview. I really cannot figure out why this is happening. It will be a huge pain for me if I need to recreate the exact same button over and over again on each individual page. 

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
EPUB , Import and export , Performance , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ensure your "button" is a simple shape; don't use roll-over buttons.

Export as an Interactive PDF (assuming PDF is the output format you want).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

check if there is nothing above your buttons on other pages (even transparent). Overlapping objects can disable the button's activity. To be sure, you can put the buttons on the upper layer on Master and then continue to work on working (lower) layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I agree with the suggestions shared by Derek and Anna and I am hopeful that the issue is resolved by now. If not, could you please confirm if the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the creative cloud and share the download link. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue. I am making color tabs in the master to how on each page linked to that master. I have the color box and the wording grouped. I have already created the anchor. When I go to my master and select that "tab" and go to the buttons menu, it's totally greyed out. I'm not allowed to choose to even make it a button. 

The same thing in a list going to anchors. Cant make text work to jump to an anchor either. So many issues and when I go to chat the same answer over and over is "make a new file." I've wasted hours. please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, not sure what happened to that sentence.

I am making color tabs, creating buttoms, in the master to link to anchors in the document - which are already set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey did you ever figure it out because I have the same problem 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You absolutely do not need to put such a button on each page. Possible to share your file, or a subset thereof, so we can see what might be going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks. I've been in chat and him in my computer for 3 hours. He can't figure out what is wrong either. He now has my file and will make me a new one as I have already done this 3 times. it's been a mess. He was in my computer for over an hour. I have a 4 day old Mac Pro. It's not my computer. 

Adobe has been nice except i've been hours every day for 3 days trying to get something done. the answer is always make a new file. tonight finally someone took over my computer, tried to get it fixed (I uninstalled and reinstalled indesign today and still doesn't work.)

We'll see, he is supposed to send back the file working. I don't know what else to do. thanks. 

and yes, the "buttons", which I won't use anymore but will use hyperlinks just to the pages, are in the master. several masters slightly different actually. and then in the PDF, they don't all show up, just some. I'll see where the adobe rep can get me. thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure who "him" is, sorry I may have missed something. But if you can send a sample of the file, putting a button on the master page (or hyperlinks, for that matter) is pretty straightforward, and it might be helpful to examine the file. What, exactly, are these buttons/links on the master page supposed to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I chatted with adobe for hours this week about many problems. Lets say I had a yellow box on the master I was trying to link to page 6. That's the extent basically. (They are tabs like you would find in a binder.) 

My program won't allow even internal text hyperlinks. Been trying to get an answer from ADOBE fora week. More than "make a new file it's probably corrupted...which I did and spent hours fixing. Still can't make hyperlinks connect to anchors. And even on the pdf, the "yellow" box doesn't show up even tho that master is connected to each page. 

Last night the adobe tech spent an hour "in my computer" deleting adobe files etc. Still could not fix the issue. He said to make a new file again because of "corrupted preferences." I told him I've spent hours and hours uninstalling, reinstalling, making new files and fixing new files. I uploaded the packaged file to adobe at 2am. They sent an email today that it's been sent to senior staff to figure out and make me a new file. My client is angry. I'm under the gun (self-employed) and way last deadline. 

I even went out 4 days ago and bought a brand new mac pro. I'm done with windows. I need to know if this is an adobe issue or if I need to return my mac. Yes, the file was created in windows. 

When I say he, I meant "adobe tech guy." Ask e has the latest of the 25 copies of this file. Meanwhile so many edits etc I can't go back to old copies. Nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The adobe email today said they will know more in 24 to 48 hours. I told the client it's not my issue. Blamed adobe and have to just wait. I know adobe. I started using indesign when it was "pagemaker" in 2003 and photoshop ver 5.5 in 1999. Sorry, I guess I might have sounded like a newbie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, he said the preferences were corrupt,  brand new install today, but he deleted files and did his magic, and it still didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to send your file (don't need images, just the .indd file)? I bet it could be fixed...by someone who knows a bit about InDesign (which Adobe tech support often does not)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sure!!! where? thanks. betty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

btw, here is my issue from the other day. This file has probably 200+  external links in it. the other night at 3am i made a pdf for the client to review for typos. all the links worked fine. The next morning, 6 hrs later, I opened the same indesign file and ALL of the links in the hyperlink window were gone. just gone.

Thats the first time they told me to start over. 200+ hyperlinks. I uninstalled, reinstalled shut down and restarted over and over and finally, I opened the file and they were back. I opened the file I had made the day before (i've gotten in a habit of doing a fresh backup every day just in case!) and pasted in the pages that had been edited and worked from there. I never could get internal links to work on that file either.  At some point I moved all the pages into a older new file and the tables, bullets, all the tabs etc were a mess. I had to spend hours fixing it but the hyperlinks were ok. whew. 

so when he told me last night to make a new file again, I told adobe I was done. They needed to take the file and make a new one that works. They took it. BUT, if you can, I would be forever grateful. (course I'm also trial by fire on a Mac - the first time since 1984. They have changed a bit. NOW they have a HARD DRIVE!  The one I had in 1984 booted from a floppy disk, had a 5 in black and white screen. Which I still own and still boots!  and I had a wide dot matrix printer.  And that printer is worth a lot of money now if I still had it. lol)

Thanks, be

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/the-connections-to-the-images-from-the-links-panel-disappear...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hit "Reply" and there should be a button under the text window that says "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diane,

Your offer is very kind. I know it's been a few days. Adobe support has been writing that they were working on it and it didn't feel fair to have you both doing it. Finally, I got an email telling me it's corrupted, make a new file, move everything into it. So I did. 

The spacing got very messed up, many links broke and it's going to take a lot of fixing up. And I tried to do links again, and it still won't work. 

The TOC is homegrown since there is not one style I can grab as they sent me the TOC later and they are

including way more subcategories than I thought they would. That turned it into a by-hand page linking which I didn't think was going to turn into a project. And I have tried to attach the tabs in the master (F) - I created a new master as well - to the beginning pages of each section and can't do that either. I tried buttons and I tried just hyperlinking to pages. Same with the first 5 in the toc. 

You will see there are a couple of issues that I have noted in red which are really just "notes to myself." At this point, I don't even want to try to fix them. I'm so over this project. And they just keep sending more edits. 

So, I need to be able to link the TOC and the Master tabs. Once Master F is linked, I'll make others based on it some are slightly different. 

I so appreciate your help. I don't know where to go from here. Starting over is just an insane thing for me to even think about. There are so many hours into this that are volunteer at this point. Starting over means I will pull out my hair or eat gallons of ice cream every night. 

My email is Inflow29@gmail.com. Whatever you can do, would be amazing. 

I thought for a bit tonight it was a styles issue from the word doc because "symbols" was an issue as a missing font and discovered stuff online about that. I couldn't get the file to permanently replace it. Finally did, but boo didn't work. 

Ignore the overtext on page 10. It's a crazy thing that I am going to ignore rather than get to the bottom of it and have to reformat etc. It works how it is pretty much. Unless the overtext is the issue? but can't be. I am so past deadline at this point I just need to get these last things done, fix all the issues that occurred when I made the new file, and call it done.

The file was made on windows, a windows upload crashed the hard drive. I attached the hard drive to a new Mac and that's where I am at. Except I couldn't get the links to work in windows either.

ok, thanks so much. 

Betty Aubut
inflow29@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the very feared windows **update crashed my HP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, sorry for another addition. You will see when you make the PDF, not even all the tabs show up. Some just text and some just color boxes. The text and rounded boxes are grouped. It's a mystery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sending the file. It seems to be behaving as expected, meaning, I think it's ok.

For some reason, all the URL hyperlinks were set up as text anchors. The first thing I did was select all hyperlinks in Hyperlinks panel and delete them. I then used the menu from that panel to "Convert URLs to Hyperlinks." I didn't check them all, but the ones I checked are now working fine.

For the tabs, I went to the tabs on Master F, which was applied to most pages, and set hyperlinks on the first 4 tabs. They are simply set to go to the specific page number of that topic. You can find them in the Hyperlinks panel, near the bottom, and you can do the rest of them. They seem to work fine.

If I were you, I would not manually link the TOC text. Instead, put the text on the appropriate page, and move it off the page. It won't be visible in the PDF, but will collect in the TOC. Please see my response in this forum thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/table-of-content-links-not-working-when-published-online-ind...

I also exported a PDF (using Interactive PDF option), and it seems to work fine. Attached is the InDesign file. I hope this helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding the PDF file here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Diane. esp for showing me how to better do the TOC. Appreciate it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to help.

Let us know if you have any additional questions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2023 Jul 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not working 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines