• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't rename layers inDesign 2021 (16.0) also happened in 2020.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to rename layers for organization purposes, I used to be able to do this by double-clicking the layer and it would start the editing dialogue.

Now when I click it sometimes will pop open for like a tenth of a second but not enough time to do anything. I haven't found a workaround.

On iMac. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

I need to fix this ASAP 

If clearing caches or prefs doesn’t work, the name of page items within an item Layer can be changed via scripting. Select the page item either via the Layer panel or on the page and run this script:

var d = app.dialogs.add({name:"Page Item Name"});
var tf = d.dialogColumns.add().textEditboxes.add({editContents:"", minWidth:250});
d.show();
var r = tf.editContents;	
d.destroy();

var s = app.documents.item(0).selection[0];
s.name = r;

Screen Shot 1.pngScreen Shot 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Hi,

I had the same issue. What worked for me was just changing my work place from Essentials to Essentials Classic. I know is not a long term fix but it works for when you need to make it work quick. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Same problem here, Mac OS Big Sur 11.4 and InDesign 16.2.1.
Can't rename the layers or the groups when the panel is docked and deployed in the right side of the interface.
I've searched the web and found this thread;

I've tested some fixes found here and there and here are my results!

- original workspace "Essentials" -> I can rename the layers and groups normally

- original workspace "Essentials classic" -> Can't rename the layers and groups.

- original workspage "Essentials" but I switch on the 'control' panel at the top of the interface -> Can't rename the layers and the groups. If i switch off this control panel... I can rename the layers.
- original worksapce "Essential Classic" but I switch off the control panel -> I can rename the layers and groups !!  Revert back to the control panel shown on the top.... the issue is here again.

- In every workspace, if I undock the "layers" panel, floating or condensed the issue disappear !

Please Adobe, could you fix this bug permanently ?  Everything was working fine last year in InDesign 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am Sanyam Talwar from InDesign Engineering team, I am currently investigating the issue

Can you please provide more information at santalwa@adobe.com –

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when you encountered the issue in InDesign?
  • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
  • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)?
  • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Regards

Sanyam Talwar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sanyam, the issue is a fix issue happening everytime on every doc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, am having this same problem currently in 16.2.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in InDesign's beta testing group. A new version of InDesign should be released soon—16.4. As noted in another thread, renaming the Layers panel fails I think in 16.2 and 16.3. But I found it works in the soon-to-be released version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here after upgrading to Big Sur. 

My workaround so far has been to re-organise my Workspace. I set up a new one panel by panel and checked, which panels are causing this bug.  It seems that only a few Panels like Character, Paragraph, Align, Transform and Gradient can not be combined or grouped with other Style Panels and need to be kept floating or combined in another panel group, but there is no real logic behind this and it may behave differently on another computer. 

This bug is quite disturbing and should be fixed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem. I AM RUNNING ID 17.0 WITH BIG SUR 11.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And still no update since nearly 2 years...
We pay for it !! and this issue is a waist of time…

I just bought a new mac (not M1) and I didn’t have those bugs with the other version of InDesign, it’s recent.

Also AME export from After effects to Media Encoder… and many other waisting time bugs…

[signature_214829583]
LAURENT DUCHEMIN
Graphiste Multimedia

laurent.duchemin@letangram.com
02 32 78 85 32

LE TANGRAM Scène Nationale - Musiques Actuelles - Palais des Congrès
1,bis boulevard de Normandie – CS 80784 27007 Évreux cédex
www.letangram.com| #letangram[signature_1651338323][signature_1405944124] [signature_1714987513] [signature_1237427268] [signature_360856594]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue ,  i have no idea about using scripts and i am not interested in figuring it out, please fix this bug in the nearest update

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest thing while I work on Apple machines is float the layers panel where you would have it(do not dock it), and you can rename per usual.

2 year old issue and going strong!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is users forum. There is no Adobe support employees here. You can ask Adobe Support Chat directly or write about bug through indesign.uservoice.com

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines